Leafs To Be Sold to Rogers and Bell, $1.3 Billion (MLSE)

millbank

http://www.theglobea...article2265448/

Maple, Leaf, Sports and Entertainment controlling shares to be sold to Canadian media companies Rogers Communications and Bell for price at this time said to be $1.3 Billion . The two will own Maple Leafs, Raptors, Soccer team, Air Canada Center, plus land holdings.

Rogers is also owner of Blue Jays and Rogers Center. They often rumored to be suitor for any sale regarding Buffalo Bills , currently they in agreement for the one Bills game at Rogers Center yearly. Hard to know how this sale would impact any future purchase pursuit of Bills or said to be necessary new stadium.

The two groups are purchasing these shares from The Ontario Teachers Fund.

Maple, Leaf, Sports and Entertainment controlling shares to be sold to Canadian media companies Rogers Communications and Bell for price at this time said to be $1.3 Billion . The two will own Maple Leafs, Raptors, Soccer team, Air Canada Center, plus land holdings.

Rogers is also owner of Blue Jays and Rogers Center. They often rumored to be suitor for any sale regarding Buffalo Bills , currently they in agreement for the one Bills game at Rogers Center yearly. Hard to know how this sale would impact any future purchase pursuit of Bills or said to be necessary new stadium.

The rich get richer ...

NFL rules don't allow owners to own other teams in different cities if the NFL city also has a team in that other sport. So, if Rogers buys the Loafs, it takes them out of the running for buying the Bills and keeping them in Buffalo. (Not that they'd've been expected to keep a team in Buffalo if they were to buy them, but that would pretty much seal it. Buffalo doesn't have MLB, so the Jays ownership didn't necessarily disqualify them from owning the BUFFALO Bills.)

Must say I'm surprised that the Ontario Teachers are willing to sell. I guess they figured that Rogers is overpaying enough to make it worth it to them.

That's a lot of money. And interesting compared to the tweet going around yesterday comparing Pujols contract to NHL team value. "Contract for Pujols is ($254 million) is worth more than the Forbes valuation of 21 of 30 NHL Franchises."

And I never did understand how their teacher's union pulled that purchase off politically. Maybe the NYSUT will by the Bills? Imagine the irony.

NFL rules don't allow owners to own other teams in different cities if the NFL city also has a team in that other sport. So, if Rogers buys the Loafs, it takes them out of the running for buying the Bills and keeping them in Buffalo. (Not that they'd've been expected to keep a team in Buffalo if they were to buy them, but that would pretty much seal it. Buffalo doesn't have MLB, so the Jays ownership didn't necessarily disqualify them from owning the BUFFALO Bills.)

Must say I'm surprised that the Ontario Teachers are willing to sell. I guess they figured that Rogers is overpaying enough to make it worth it to them.

The Ontario Teachers Pension Fund is the best run organization in Canada (IMHO).

Big business and extremely profitable.

But is Toronto considered part of the same market thanks to the one year deal (and their proximity)? I'd have to think the NFL would bend over backwards trying to get a team up there.

That's a ton of money though. Yeah, there are other assets involved, but wow. It should be interesting to see what kind of impact this has on the Leafs.

"Loafs" Taro, Taro , Taro...... maybe i need start calling the Sabres, the Sobers, :devil: change my diplomatic persona, :angel:

But is Toronto considered part of the same market thanks to the one year deal (and their proximity)? I'd have to think the NFL would bend over backwards trying to get a team up there.

If the 2nd is true, then the 1st wouldn't matter. Let's just put this one at, while I didn't want to see Rogers end up with the Bills before, I now would rather see Balsillie own them. If I have to give up watching the NFL because my Bills are uprooted, it'd be somewhat satisfying to have the rest of the nation trying to figure out 'whereinthehellis' Kitchener.

That's a ton of money though. Yeah, there are other assets involved, but wow. It should be interesting to see what kind of impact this has on the Leafs.

It will be interesting. I'd expect that Rogers will be more interested in icing a winning team than current ownership has been. Not that that'll translate into results, but if I were a Loafs fan I'm probably psyched to be expecting to see the 'reign of terror' dating back to the Ballard days finally being over.

If only Tim Connolly was still here. Eleven would immediately counter that idea of calling them the Sobers.

ah, i likely to much of chicken to cause any serious beefs. mind you......

will be interesting to see how it all plays out . Talk still about a second Toronto area team, another, another bid for Olympics, (new stadium) . Yes a great deal of money, Clearly these people have a great deal, how it would impact future investments, football, hockey ect... Schools out ...

If the 2nd is true, then the 1st wouldn't matter. Let's just put this one at, while I didn't want to see Rogers end up with the Bills before, I now would rather see Balsillie own them. If I have to give up watching the NFL because my Bills are uprooted, it'd be somewhat satisfying to have the rest of the nation trying to figure out 'whereinthehellis' Kitchener.

It will be interesting. I'd expect that Rogers will be more interested in icing a winning team than current ownership has been. Not that that'll translate into results, but if I were a Loafs fan I'm probably psyched to be expecting to see the 'reign of terror' dating back to the Ballard days finally being over.

Regarding icing a winning team, think the past has been more about ineptness rather than desire. Its possible given the examples of current Blue Jays management with Beeston and AA, and Raptors, with Colenglo ect. they appear to be smarter this way. They are less intimidated in having strong leadership than the previous owners of Leafs, from Ballard, the Grocery guy ect In this sense the Leafs could become a more formidable foe simply because the better run.

It hasn't been about icing a winning product for decades now.

Toronto is the corporate business capital of Canada ... Joe Q Public never has a chance to see the Leafs, unless they comp some tickets ... ACC is sold out every night to the big corporations. Leaf fans have grown to accept that.

"Loafs" Taro, Taro , Taro...... maybe i need start calling the Sabres, the Sobers, :devil: change my diplomatic persona, :angel:

Eh, the Sobers is much less demeaning/vulgar than the one I was expecting to read. ;) (I know you are far too much of a gentleman to go that route. But Sobers is even better than Slugs IMHO as that just conjures up too many thoughts about LQ.)

Sorry, Millsie, it's a hard habit to break.

Regarding icing a winning team, think the past has been more about ineptness rather than desire. Its possible given the examples of current Blue Jays management with Beeston and AA, and Raptors, with Colenglo ect. they appear to be smarter this way. They are less intimidated in having strong leadership than the previous owners of Leafs, from Ballard, the Grocery guy ect In this sense the Leafs could become a more formidable foe simply because the better run.

Good for you on the ownership change. It can't be any worse than what you've had in the past.

Eh, the Sobers is much less demeaning/vulgar than the one I was expecting to read. ;) (I know you are far too much of a gentleman to go that route. But Sobers is even better than Slugs IMHO as that just conjures up too many thoughts about LQ.)

Sorry, Millsie, it's a hard habit to break.

Good for you on the ownership change. It can't be any worse than what you've had in the past.

watching news conference right now. I watch families taking their children into the allman (stratford arena) at 5-6 am to play the game, they play on the river , in their back yards. They do it because the love their families and the game for what it does for their families and themselves. What i see this morning are suits rubbing their hands awaiting to make much money from these dreams....

watching news conference right now. I watch families taking their children into the allman (stratford arena) at 5-6 am to play the game, they play on the river , in their back yards. They do it because the love their families and the game for what it does for their families and themselves. What i see this morning are suits rubbing their hands awaiting to make much money from these dreams....

Welcome to modern day professional sports. Don't you love it?

Welcome to modern day professional sports. Don't you love it?

The Air Canada Center is built on a property that was the Union Station properties, or called the railway lands. It was bought for next to nothing a number of years ago from tax payers,(city owned it and sold it). One day I hope the issue is researched and looked into. We are talking many billions of $$$$. I am sure you have seen the great movie " Mr. Deeds Goes To Town". This very scary, scary business. I most sincerely grieve at what did transpire and what I see now.

There is no honor here, in spite of the clean suits , close shaves and haircuts, the slime factor is huge.

(sorry folks won't bore you with any more)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=605512

It's official ... except for approval by the NHL, NBA and the broadcasters ... a formality.

The WOW!!

The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan bought their stake in 1994 for $180 million ... sold it today for $1.4 billion ... that is a hell of a return on investment.

Bell will know be part owners of the Leafs, and the Canadians too.

As for the purse strings opening up and it becoming about winning in Leafs land again, doubt it if you talk to some Jays fans, most feel that Rogers is a bad owner only looking to turn profits and doesn't care about winning

The cost is so high because it includes ALOT. For the $1.3 Billion, they get The Leafs (the highest valued hockey team in the NHL), the Raptors basketball team, Toronto FC (the Pro Soccer team, Whats with soccer teams and having the dumbest names? FC = Football Club, they are the Toronto Football Club), the Toronto Marlies (The Leafs AHL affiliate) and Air Canada Centre where teh Raptors play (not sure if BMO Field where the FC play, or the Ricoh Coliseum where the Marlies play are also part of the deal), throw in the Raptors and Leafs TV channels if Bell or Rogers already didn't own them and its alot of stuff for that price

As for the purse strings opening up and it becoming about winning in Leafs land again, doubt it if you talk to some Jays fans, most feel that Rogers is a bad owner only looking to turn profits and doesn't care about winning

The cost is so high because it includes ALOT. For the $1.3 Billion, they get The Leafs (the highest valued hockey team in the NHL), the Raptors basketball team, Toronto FC (the Pro Soccer team, Whats with soccer teams and having the dumbest names? FC = Football Club, they are the Toronto Football Club), the Toronto Marlies (The Leafs AHL affiliate) and Air Canada Centre where teh Raptors play (not sure if BMO Field where the FC play, or the Ricoh Coliseum where the Marlies play are also part of the deal), throw in the Raptors and Leafs TV channels if Bell or Rogers already didn't own them and its alot of stuff for that price

Would you say the same thing about FC Barcelona ... aguably the best football club in the world.

I don't think the price is out of line with what the purchasers are getting, but see below ...

"The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan bought their stake in 1994 for $180 million ... sold it today for $1.4 billion ... that is a hell of a return on investment."

The above was posted by me earlier in this thread.

I don't think the price is out of line with what the purchasers are getting, but see below ...

"The Ontario Teachers Pension Plan bought their stake in 1994 for $180 million ... sold it today for $1.4 billion ... that is a hell of a return on investment."

The above was posted by me earlier in this thread.

True, but when they made the purchase, it was just for the Leafs, in their time of ownership, a new arena has been built, and they added a NBA and Soccer team too (not sure if the original purchase included the Marlies for that price, if not, they added them). As for Barcelona, never said the teams were bad, just stupid unoriginal naming of teams by putting either FC in front or behind the region/area. Never said anything about the quality of the team itself. Basically FC is about as original in soccer as Roughriders was to the CFL

True, but when they made the purchase, it was just for the Leafs, in their time of ownership, a new arena has been built, and they added a NBA and Soccer team too (not sure if the original purchase included the Marlies for that price, if not, they added them). As for Barcelona, never said the teams were bad, just stupid unoriginal naming of teams by putting either FC in front or behind the region/area. Never said anything about the quality of the team itself. Basically FC is about as original in soccer as Roughriders was to the CFL

I'm not absolutely certain, but I would doubt they put up all, or any, of the money for those aquisitions.

Archived