Leafs To Be Sold to Rogers and Bell, $1.3 Billion (MLSE)

millbank

http://www.theglobea...article2265448/

Maple, Leaf, Sports and Entertainment controlling shares to be sold to Canadian media companies Rogers Communications and Bell for price at this time said to be $1.3 Billion . The two will own Maple Leafs, Raptors, Soccer team, Air Canada Center, plus land holdings.

Rogers is also owner of Blue Jays and Rogers Center. They often rumored to be suitor for any sale regarding Buffalo Bills , currently they in agreement for the one Bills game at Rogers Center yearly. Hard to know how this sale would impact any future purchase pursuit of Bills or said to be necessary new stadium.

The two groups are purchasing these shares from The Ontario Teachers Fund.

Hopefully it would move it along quickly. The past 12 yrs have been nothing but excruciating (sp). I kind of half hate them already moving them to Toronto would free up alot of Sundays and remove any chance I might be sucked back in again only to have my spirits squashed like an ant under a steamroller...IMO the quicker the better

The Ontario Teachers Pension fund should be in good shape for awhile. :thumbsup:

Not to mention this Tanenbaum (SP?) character.

Talk about smart business person. He has been around since the days of Harold Ballard, or thereabouts, and he puts in a clause in the sale agreement to the OTPP that he has to approve of them selling their share ... and his share will automatically go from 20 to 25 percent when he does. By signing one piece of paper with no capital risk he added 5% of a 2+ billion $ venture to his portfolio.

I'm going to try that in my next business negotiations.

Toronto FC (the Pro Soccer team, Whats with soccer teams and having the dumbest names? FC = Football Club, they are the Toronto Football Club)

They're copying some of the big European clubs:

• Toronto FC / Barcelona FC
  • DC United / Manchester United
  • Real Salt Lake / Real Madrid

Kinda silly, really. I'm not sure there's anything 'Royal' about Salt Lake (sorry Chris!).

Interesting, apparently all the teams have start it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer#Team_names

They're copying some of the big European clubs:

• Toronto FC / Barcelona FC
  • DC United / Manchester United
  • Real Salt Lake / Real Madrid

Kinda silly, really. I'm not sure there's anything 'Royal' about Salt Lake (sorry Chris!).

Interesting, apparently all the teams have start it.

https://en.wikipedia...ccer#Team_names

The FC thing is normal for a lot of soccer teams around the world. the REAL thing is dumb though.

Exactly.

The 1% er's getting more, and more, and more.....

If this thought process is representative of the 99%ers, then maybe there is a reason why you don't have any money.

The 1%ers just gave $1.4B to the Ontario Teacher's Retirement Plan. Who just got more and more and more? It wasn't really all that hard to figure out.

If this thought process is representative of the 99%ers, then maybe there is a reason why you don't have any money.

The 1%ers just gave $1.4B to the Ontario Teacher's Retirement Plan. Who just got more and more and more? It wasn't really all that hard to figure out.

I believe it to be a good portion of the thought process of a majority of the 99%er's given the off-shoring of jobs in the past 40 years, specifically the manufacturing base. Given the fact that teachers aren't the back bone of the economy, neither are small business owners nor corporations, but the broad spectrum of manufacturing in light and heavy industrial industries and it's work force.

The new world economy is a failure for well over 60% of the American work force, no one will be able to replace those jobs, no industry can fill the vacuum left.

It's merely a matter of time now before it boils over. Generations past are passing down the knowledge of what was here to the younger generations. The past 20 years especially just is not sustainable. You cannot have a successful free market economy that works within the parameters of a democratic society without doing one of 2 things, social program engineering or a fallback into a more isolationist situation.

The former no society can afford, the latter is the path back to prosperity. Any other attempt to offset what has happened in America is merely a red herring and will only slightly delay the inevitable collapse of the currency.

The decision isn't over what course of action to take, the decision is when the system implements the necessary steps to bring quality manufacturing jobs back.

I believe it to be a good portion of the thought process of a majority of the 99%er's given the off-shoring of jobs in the past 40 years, specifically the manufacturing base. Given the fact that teachers aren't the back bone of the economy, neither are small business owners nor corporations, but the broad spectrum of manufacturing in light and heavy industrial industries and it's work force.

The new world economy is a failure for well over 60% of the American work force, no one will be able to replace those jobs, no industry can fill the vacuum left.

It's merely a matter of time now before it boils over. Generations past are passing down the knowledge of what was here to the younger generations. The past 20 years especially just is not sustainable. You cannot have a successful free market economy that works within the parameters of a democratic society without doing one of 2 things, social program engineering or a fallback into a more isolationist situation.

The former no society can afford, the latter is the path back to prosperity. Any other attempt to offset what has happened in America is merely a red herring and will only slightly delay the inevitable collapse of the currency.

The decision isn't over what course of action to take, the decision is when the system implements the necessary steps to bring quality manufacturing jobs back.

Given that you completely avoided your previous post, I guess you agree that your flippant comment was indeed misplaced and poorly thought out. Thanks.

Given that you completely avoided your previous post, I guess you agree that your flippant comment was indeed misplaced and poorly thought out. Thanks.

THIS.... I really want to see if the occupation gets through the winter. In richmond they are like part timers, they decide to meet up on like a saturday or when people have free time. It is really funny to me that they call themselves an occupation when they only do it for a few hours a week.

Not at all, this is the backbone of why many of the 99% believe what they see as the 1% greed.

Point blank the 1% have a larger responsibility with the wealth they acquire to ensure domestic prosperity. For far too long sending middle class jobs over seas hasn't exactly bred success, or good will from us 99%er's. With great wealth comes great responsibility, greed has clouded that in the 1%er's ranks and it clearly shows.

And to the point of the teachers fund, my father is a teacher, Sweet Home district, those that went to that district who are members on here will surely know him, they know him as Mr. K.

He'll tell you straight out that what you see a pension fund investing in doesn't equate out to what they will receive at the end of their tenured career. He himself will only see 66% of what his fund has invested in given the administrative costs (highly suspect, and they all know it) and of course the investment in an equity position such as the Leafs may help, but it doesn't do enough to offset the budget cuts that are forcing many alterations that have happened or will come in the next 10 years. I am only speaking on the NYS teachers pension fund, maybe Canada's different, but I doubt it.

Those equities that the funds acquire are often put up as collateral in other deals as well.

Take a walk for 20 to 40 years in the shoes of the middle class in this nation that have worked or are attempting to work within the current nations economic employment structure, you'll see it written on their faces.

THIS.... I really want to see if the occupation gets through the winter. In richmond they are like part timers, they decide to meet up on like a saturday or when people have free time. It is really funny to me that they call themselves an occupation when they only do it for a few hours a week.

I am not a pro-occupy wallstreeter, I am a realist however. In order for this nation to regain it's prosperity, there is no other choice in the matter.

You cannot simply create jobs out of the "new employment fields" of the late 20th and early 21st century that will fill the void of manufacturing given the manpower needed in the industries.

Oh, it sounds good to have a highly skilled, highly educated work force, and thats all good, but at the end of the day the scales are tilted against the labor market in the US, the proof is in the amount of wealth being transfered out of the country, numbers don't lie.

Not at all, this is the backbone of why many of the 99% believe what they see as the 1% greed.

Point blank the 1% have a larger responsibility with the wealth they acquire to ensure domestic prosperity. For far too long sending middle class jobs over seas hasn't exactly bred success, or good will from us 99%er's. With great wealth comes great responsibility, greed has clouded that in the 1%er's ranks and it clearly shows.

Take a walk for 20 to 40 years in the shoes of the middle class in this nation that have worked or are attempting to work within the current nations economic employment structure, you'll see it written on their faces.

I am not a pro-occupy wallstreeter, I am a realist however. In order for this nation to regain it's prosperity, there is no other choice in the matter.

You cannot simply create jobs out of the "new employment fields" of the late 20th and early 21st century that will fill the void of manufacturing given the manpower needed in the industries.

Oh, it sounds good to have a highly skilled, highly educated work force, and thats all good, but at the end of the day the scales are tilted against the labor market in the US, the proof is in the amount of wealth being transfered out of the country, numbers don't lie.

Well numbers can lie but I think you are right. I only have a problem with the occupation and lumping the 99% together. Even if there were those manufacturing jobs I can guarantee the occupation wouldnt be lining up to take them.

Americans feel above these jobs for some reason now. Its a pampered group that refuses to accept the reality that they might have to do soemthing that they dont like. Not like when my grandmother was 14 working in a canning factory and then spending over 30 years working her ass off at General Mills. That woman used to work months at a time to provide for her family, that is crazy to me. I think someone else said this on this board " ITs a generation of kids brought up hearing go to college and you wont have to flip burgers, then when they realize that their degree in history or theatre or liberal arts is not going to get them the job of their dreams and they are going to be in debt to that degree for years to come and they cant find a job they are refusing to flip burgers"

Archived