Can the Sabres win a Cup with Enroth as their #1?

LabattBlue

Including myself, I know many are unhappy with Miller's play(some to the point of wanting him off the team). This got me thinking as to how many teams have won a Cup in recent years with a goalie the size of Enroth.

I came up with Osgood(who was also listed at 5'10") over the last 15-20 years(going back to the 80's, Smith & Fuhr were also listed at 5'10"). Does it make a difference if a goalie is 6'0"(or greater) instead of being 5'10"? I don't know, but I'm leaning towards the Sabres sticking with Miller through the end of his current contract(thru 2013-2014), and then go from there. They have no other decent goalie prospect in the system other than Enroth, and we only need to look as far as Philly to know what a disaster a season can become when you have no goaltending.

Bottom line...IMO, the Sabres best chance at winning a Cup sooner rather than later(especially within Pegs stated goal of 3 years) is if they can get Miller's head on straight, and continue to improve the defensive play in front of him.

I see no reason at the current time why in the future the sabres could not win a cup with Enroth in net considering his solid play to date. His height matters only in as much so as gerbe's height does. Smaller guys will have to prove more because of their size. That being said remember that Miller is only about 175-180 lbs so he may be tall but he is very skinny. Enroth is shorter but he only weighs about 10lbs less than Miller so that may be something to consider as well.

Other than size it would appear that Enroth's weakness is his allowing 5hole goals. If he can work on and overcome this than i think he will be a very good goaltender in this league. As of this moment in time Enroth looks poised to be a vezina quality netminder but until he has 40+ starts I would reserve judgment on his ability to win the cup.

I see no reason at the current time why in the future the sabres could not win a cup with Enroth in net considering his solid play to date. His height matters only in as much so as gerbe's height does. Smaller guys will have to prove more because of their size. That being said remember that Miller is only about 175-180 lbs so he may be tall but he is very skinny. Enroth is shorter but he only weighs about 10lbs less than Miller so that may be something to consider as well.

Other than size it would appear that Enroth's weakness is his allowing 5hole goals. If he can work on and overcome this than i think he will be a very good goaltender in this league. As of this moment in time Enroth looks poised to be a vezina quality netminder but until he has 40+ starts I would reserve judgment on his ability to win the cup.

Especially since taking over the starting job would require much more conditioning than Enroth is used to. Playing a full season in the N is tough on a goalie that isn't used to it.

That said, what the heck to do I know about Enroth and whether he can handle it. I'm just being contrarian for the sake of doing so.

I'll reserve judgment as to whether he looks poised to be a Vezina-quality netminder until he has 40+ starts, too.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this but what has Miller done since his rookie year to make him so elite? I'm being very serious about this as well. I looked at his stats and if you take out the one year he did awesome, he has been average at best. I'm a true Sabre fan but not a huge Miller fan. I'm not saying at all he is bad but I honestly believe in my heart is average. He is not a guy who the Sabres can really depend on and I think this is showing in the play of the Sabres. I'm not saying the team lost faith but they do play way different when Enroth is in net. I think if Miller sits out long enough his job will be questioned and Lindy will stay with what is hot. If someone can show me the stats that make Miller an elite goalie then please show me but I think the Sabres can win with Enroth now over Miller. Time will tell all I guess.

I know I'm going to catch hell for this but what has Miller done since his rookie year to make him so elite? I'm being very serious about this as well. I looked at his stats and if you take out the one year he did awesome, he has been average at best. I'm a true Sabre fan but not a huge Miller fan. I'm not saying at all he is bad but I honestly believe in my heart is average. He is not a guy who the Sabres can really depend on and I think this is showing in the play of the Sabres. I'm not saying the team lost faith but they do play way different when Enroth is in net. I think if Miller sits out long enough his job will be questioned and Lindy will stay with what is hot. If someone can show me the stats that make Miller an elite goalie then please show me but I think the Sabres can win with Enroth now over Miller. Time will tell all I guess.

Calling all Sabrespace lunatics. All Sabrespace lunatics to this thread immediately. Let's get this party started.

Has someone sent this fellow a Team Stormcloud application?

The real question is if we continue to start Enroth then why even have a playoffs? The rest of the league should just concede now and spare themselves the embarassment of going up against that sexy, dreamy eyed, BAMF, ninja, viking warrior. It's kind of like when the New England Patriots* had Tedy Bruschi. The league still played the games, but what was the point?

I'm gonna generalize here. Enroth is showing flashes of Hasek(ok, more than just flashes). That team made the finals with almost no offensive power. We have the offense but they can be sketchy at times.

If the offense is clicking and Enroth is more steady light than hazard light, yes, it can be done.

Archived