Can the Sabres win a Cup with Enroth as their #1?

LabattBlue

I'm gonna generalize here. Enroth is showing flashes of Hasek(ok, more than just flashes). That team made the finals with almost no offensive power. We have the offense but they can be sketchy at times.

If the offense is clicking and Enroth is more steady light than hazard light, yes, it can be done.

Agreed.

Oh.....and TRADE MILLER :thumbsup:

;)

I see no reason at the current time why in the future the sabres could not win a cup with Enroth in net considering his solid play to date. His height matters only in as much so as gerbe's height does. Smaller guys will have to prove more because of their size. That being said remember that Miller is only about 175-180 lbs so he may be tall but he is very skinny. Enroth is shorter but he only weighs about 10lbs less than Miller so that may be something to consider as well.

Other than size it would appear that Enroth's weakness is his allowing 5hole goals. If he can work on and overcome this than i think he will be a very good goaltender in this league. As of this moment in time Enroth looks poised to be a vezina quality netminder but until he has 40+ starts I would reserve judgment on his ability to win the cup.

Interesting that the shorthanded goal Parise scored was 5hole!

Enroth looked bad last night. I think we are about to see a monumental collapse in his play. I give it 3-4 more games before he is entirely figure out. I know he has a great glove hand but thats because he has to because he is so small. His type of play does not translate well to the NHL and I truly believe that. He is small in the net and leaves a bunch of room open. He is erratic and out of poisition A LOT and soon that is going to show. How about that puck he tried to flip out last night down the center of the ice???? That should have been another goal. All the Miller haters will soon be trying to dislodge their feet from their mouth.

Enroth looked bad last night. I think we are about to see a monumental collapse in his play. I give it 3-4 more games before he is entirely figure out. I know he has a great glove hand but thats because he has to because he is so small. His type of play does not translate well to the NHL and I truly believe that. He is small in the net and leaves a bunch of room open. He is erratic and out of poisition A LOT and soon that is going to show. How about that puck he tried to flip out last night down the center of the ice???? That should have been another goal. All the Miller haters will soon be trying to dislodge their feet from their mouth.

I disagree. He was bound to get beaten one of these days and he will lose more games as he plays more. I'm quick to get down on a goalie after a bad game but i will use a Miller-like excuse for last night. I didn't think Enroth played too bad. At least 3 maybe 4 of those NJ goals were unbelievable placement. I don't think they could replicate those exact shots again. NJ was probably due for some goals like that since they have had a tough time scoring lately. For this game, i'd say it was more the Devils finishing touch rather than Enroth's bad goaltending. Time will tell!

I disagree. He was bound to get beaten one of these days and he will lose more games as he plays more. I'm quick to get down on a goalie after a bad game but i will use a Miller-like excuse for last night. I didn't think Enroth played too bad. At least 3 maybe 4 of those NJ goals were unbelievable placement. I don't think they could replicate those exact shots again. NJ was probably due for some goals like that since they have had a tough time scoring lately. For this game, i'd say it was more the Devils finishing touch rather than Enroth's bad goaltending. Time will tell!

I dont mean to say he is bad at all, I think he has a lot more of these games in it and it was mostly luck that he was undefeated in 2011. He can and will be figured out it is only a matter of time...

Enroth looks like he's playing in one of the new larger nets we occasionally hear about when they talk about getting goal scoring up in the league. At times he reminds me of Tim Thomas when Thomas has gotten out of position and has to scramble back. I agree that a larger body of work as the starter is needed to know one way or the other.

I see no reason at the current time why in the future the sabres could not win a cup with Enroth in net considering his solid play to date. His height matters only in as much so as gerbe's height does. Smaller guys will have to prove more because of their size. That being said remember that Miller is only about 175-180 lbs so he may be tall but he is very skinny. Enroth is shorter but he only weighs about 10lbs less than Miller so that may be something to consider as well.

Other than size it would appear that Enroth's weakness is his allowing 5hole goals. If he can work on and overcome this than i think he will be a very good goaltender in this league. As of this moment in time Enroth looks poised to be a vezina quality netminder but until he has 40+ starts I would reserve judgment on his ability to win the cup.

Last night he let in cookie shelf shots as well............

He can and will be figured out it is only a matter of time...

True, just as the league has figured out Millsie. The key is that our team is built in such a way that decent goaltending can take the Sabres where they want to go. I don't think they will get spectacular goaltending over the long haul from either Enroth or Miller but if this team is as solid as advertised, they should get enough offense to offset it. We'll see.

I agree, and I will add, "none of those goals last night were Enroths fault".

True, just as the league has figured out Millsie. The key is that our team is built in such a way that decent goaltending can take the Sabres where they want to go. I don't think they will get spectacular goaltending over the long haul from either Enroth or Miller but if this team is as solid as advertised, they should get enough offense to offset it. We'll see.

I totally disagree you cant really solve miller as some here have said, he is huge in the net and plays the position as close to perfect as I think possible. He is almost always in the right position and while he can be beat and teams can score on him some games he doesnt play a style that is "figured out" Enroth is all instinct and reaction and I dont think it works well in the league anymore.

Archived