Ville Leino = Hecht 2.0

LGR4GM

Similarities:

Overpaid, 50pt max, solid 2-way players, decent passing abilities

Differences:

Leino has more offensive upside, he skates better, is more versatile

Hecht is more defensively responsible, is more physical, can play center better

Now idk if this is a stretch but I think that the similarities are shocking and the fact the Leino is playing better at wing, just like hecht, is very intriguing. I really feel there is something to this but would love to hear from the rest of you... I just feel like we went out and got hecht 2.0 this offseason instead of getting something really good. Granted I havent seen the leino playoff performer we have been promised but as of right now this is what I am thinking.

I think it is far too early for people to be putting Leino into the scapegoat role that was left void when we got rid of TC.

Ville is on a new team, took on a new role, new systems. It can take time for certain players to start gelling and finding their niche. He clearly hasnt found it yet. Maybe he never will. He started showing some improvement last game.

As far as comparisons to Hecht... We have been watching Jochen for 8 years. Leino has only been in the league for what, half of that? Let alone, their styles are vastly different. Jochen has done many great things for our team, provided some good memories. His time looks about up. I am holding hope that Leino will start hitting his stride soon, and finding his role.

How about we let Leino play more than thirteen games before we label him "overpaid?"

Well, no -- there's really denying that he's overpaid. He's making more money this season than everyone on the team besides Vanek, Ehrhoff, and Miller. His career-high in points is barely more than Connolly put up in half-seasons. There's NFW he's worth $6 mil this year w/ a $4.5 mil cap hit.

But that said, just because he's overpaid doesn't mean I don't like him or want him on the team. Sometimes you have to overpay for players. It's far too early to label him a complete and total "bust." He's got plenty of time to find his role with the team and if he manages 50-60 points I will be satisfied with the acquisition, despite the gross overpayment.

Right now, though, it's not looking too hot. :sick:

I am not saying leino sucks. i am asking if ppl think he is like hecht.

No, I don't see the comparison. They are overpaid, neither is a great center, neither is physical, and both have played wing the majority of their career. About 100 other players in the league fit the same mold. It really says nothing about having similar play styles.

I'm on the let's wait a bit before labelling Lenio anything yet. Although I feel like he's been horrible to start the season, he appears to be playing better lately. I've seen several passes that go toward the front of the net and there are just no Sabres there. I hope we keep some stability with the top lines because I feel like that once Roy and Stafford get use to his tendancies, that line will come around to make a very good second unit.

It's not an unreasonable point, or a whacked-out comparison, but not new-thread-worthy.

FWIW, I think Leino has much more offensive game than Hecht. Not even close. But both are strong on the puck along the walls and both are responsible 2-way players and good but not great skaters.

As for overpaid, in the Daddy Warbucks era, cash salary doesn't really matter much -- it's the cap hit that counts. Leino's isn't too bad, and has the potential to be a pretty good deal for the Sabres if and when he starts producing. Hecht's was a terrible contract from the get-go.

It's not an unreasonable point, or a whacked-out comparison, but not new-thread-worthy.

FWIW, I think Leino has much more offensive game than Hecht. Not even close. But both are strong on the puck along the walls and both are responsible 2-way players and good but not great skaters.

As for overpaid, in the Daddy Warbucks era, cash salary doesn't really matter much -- it's the cap hit that counts. Leino's isn't too bad, and has the potential to be a pretty good deal for the Sabres if and when he starts producing. Hecht's was a terrible contract from the get-go.

Agreed, but do you miss him?

I am not saying leino sucks. i am asking if ppl think he is like hecht. Leino has played fine, he is not TC.

No, different styles. I would compare to Hecht to a poor man's Jere Lehtinen. While Leino is solid defensively his not a 2 way forward. His a forward primarily capable of holding onto the puck and supporting others around him. I would wait and see with Leino before declaring him overpaid as well, his looked far smoother recently than he seemed early on. imho.

The only similarity between Leino and Hecht is that they wear the same sweater. I cannot think of two players that are more different. (Ok, maybe Enroth and Vanek, but you get the point.)

your right, If Enroth played forward like Vanek, he would have Gretzky like numbers, Its not a fact, just my opinion, but the fact is he would atleast be Crosby like

so what you are telling us is that your opinion is fact? :rolleyes:

no - I believe he is poking fun at a certain someone who believes our future is full of hope.

We just had daylight savings time - you were supposed to change the batteries in your sarcasm detector.

no - I believe he is poking fun at a certain someone who believes our future is full of hope.

We just had daylight savings time - you were supposed to change the batteries in your sarcasm detector.

Just stating my opinion on the fact that Enroth would be a better forward then Vanek :thumbsup:

oy vay...I know who he was poking fun of...I was acknowledging it with a little sarcasm myself... :blush:

Just stating my opinion on the fact that Enroth would be a better forward then Vanek :thumbsup:

What do you mean "would be?" HE ALREADY IS. The Paddle of Ethron would score more goals than Thomas Vanek's thin twig of a stick if they would just put him in.

oy vay...I know who he was poking fun of...I was acknowledging it with a little sarcasm myself... :blush:

Are you Jewish? We don't let others use our words :ph34r: (I was born into a Jewish family. I'm actually an athiest.)

What do you mean "would be?" HE ALREADY IS. The Paddle of Ethron would score more goals than Thomas Vanek's thin twig of a stick if they would just put him in.

Are you Jewish? We don't let others use our words :ph34r: (I was born into a Jewish family. I'm actually an athiest.)

no...I'm not Jewish...not in the least bit. But i do like to use that phrase now and again...

Archived