[OT] Don Cherry is an embarassment to hockey

Weave

This guy isn't even a clown. He's a characiture of a clown.

Another Cherry clown rant

The outspoken hockey personality singled out former players Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan and Jim Thomson in a Coach's Corner rant Thursday, calling them a "bunch of pukes" for publicly suggesting those who fight in the NHL are more likely to turn to substance abuse.

"(They say) 'Oh, the reason that they're drinking, (taking) drugs and alcoholics is because they fight.' You turncoats. You hypocrites," an animated Cherry said during CBC's Hockey Night in Canada game between the Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.

And the "pukes" response...

Retired fighters have heard enough of Grapes

During CBC’s broadcast of Coach’s Corner on October 6, 2011, Don Cherry inserted himself into a prominent debate that involves the recent tragic deaths of three (3) NHL players, drug addiction, alcohol abuse and mental illness. In doing so, Mr. Cherry targeted the above-named individuals, some of whom have suffered from such diseases, as a result of views they previously expressed. Mr. Cherry’s comments were more than inappropriate; they were vulgar and malicious. Furthermore, Mr. Cherry’s subsequent attempt to qualify his comments on October 8, 2011, was entirely ineffectual. Mr. Cherry’s conduct throughout has demonstrated a complete lack of decency.

I can't believe there was a time that I used to watch and be entertained by that jackwagon. :doh:

So Cherry calls them Pukes and Hypocrites and they're more concerned about whining like little ###### about his choice of words instead of trying to refute him?

Sounds to me like Don's basic contention is that it's not fighting they should be targeting. It should be the NHL itself. It should be how the NHL looks after ALL players, not just the career fighters. Why should the fighters get poo-poo'd? They fought because it was their job. Rick Martin is a perfect example of how someone who was never a fighter shouldn't be ignored. I'm sure there have been dozens of examples of players who were boozers, painkiller addicts, and mental cases over the years who weren't fighters. But now a group of ex-fighters is crusading against the very thing that gave them their careers? That IS hypocritical.

So Cherry calls them Pukes and Hypocrites and they're more concerned about whining like little ###### about his choice of words instead of trying to refute him?

Sounds to me like Don's basic contention is that it's not fighting they should be targeting. It should be the NHL itself. It should be how the NHL looks after ALL players, not just the career fighters. Why should the fighters get poo-poo'd? They fought because it was their job. Rick Martin is a perfect example of how someone who was never a fighter shouldn't be ignored. I'm sure there have been dozens of examples of players who were boozers, painkiller addicts, and mental cases over the years who weren't fighters. But now a group of ex-fighters is crusading against the very thing that gave them their careers? That IS hypocritical.

I watched that Coach's Corner when it was broadcast. I was expecting him to bring up Rick Martin as the twist he'd have on the take - basically that even guys that weren't fighters were having the issues and that's why the league shouldn't be going after fighters; but then he came up w/ calling out the retired goons and my jaw dropped.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

I watched that Coach's Corner when it was broadcast. I was expecting him to bring up Rick Martin as the twist he'd have on the take - basically that even guys that weren't fighters were having the issues and that's why the league shouldn't be going after fighters; but then he came up w/ calling out the retired goons and my jaw dropped.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

I don't think Cherry being a loud mouthed lunatic will hurt the cause, that's for sure. Any attention is good attention. Let him keep yelling. It'll keep people talking.

I find it a bit hilarious that he's been allowe to be Racist / Sexist Grandpa for as long as he has. I think it says something that he's been saying all sorts of unsavory things about European / French Canadian players for eons, but he comes out with something which is more crass than incendiary, but directed at what Cherry would call "Good Canadian Boys" and "everyone" (at least a sizeable number of people, especially many in the press) all of a sudden get indignant.

Either he should be up there spouting off nonsense to entertain the idiots who listen, or he needs to go away. Since he's been allowed to do it so far, and this one's fairly tame by his standards let's just all take it for what it's worth and feel secure in the knoweldge that he'll be gone soon enough, much like the generational mindset he represents?

Cherry hasn't been lucid for years now. The segment used to be a great part of Hockey Night, now he is completely directionless and needs to be taken by the elbow by his co-host and led back to the point of his own tirades. Maybe those shirt collars are choking the oxygen to his brain.

Cherry hasn't been lucid for years now. The segment used to be a great part of Hockey Night, now he is completely directionless and needs to be taken by the elbow by his co-host and led back to the point of his own tirades. Maybe those shirt collars are choking the oxygen to his brain.

Maybe he should be "Released", like in The Giver.

What everyone is forgetting is that Don has a vested interest in things staying exactly the way they are in regards to goons and wild uncontrolled hits that knock players senseless etc because he has absolutely reaped millions selling Don Cherrys Rock em Sock em videos for about 40 some odd years now. Its an industry run by his son that is and has made their family filthy rich. Why would Don want anything to change? He calls the former goons who want change hypocrites and whiners because it threatens his way of life and his cash cow.

Yes Mr. McClean. Show some balls this saturday and try to stop your partners senseless rant just once please.

It's a shtick. McClean shuts him up and HNIC becomes irrelevant. And McClean is fantastic, he and Bob Cole take be back to my youth.

As for Grapes, he's always amused me and I maintain that he's an important, polarizing figure for pro hockey. However, his latest rant is absolute crap. This is miles above his comments about women and European players. Interested to see the repercussion.

You dont have to watch his segment if you don't like. He does a lot for kids, cops, soldiers and many, many more. Including the tablecloth industry I think. He has been allowed to do his schtick because of the tremendous revenue it brings to CBC. They will miss him when he's gone.

You dont have to watch his segment if you don't like. He does a lot for kids, cops, soldiers and many, many more. Including the tablecloth industry I think. He has been allowed to do his schtick because of the tremendous revenue it brings to CBC. They will miss him when he's gone.

Nice. :lol:

Archived