New NHL rules to be tested in R&D Camp

Bullwinkle

Here is the link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/what-rules-will-the-nhl-test-at-its-rd-camp/article2124005/

Here is the summary of changes:

1 Changes only permitted on the fly.

2 No line changes for team committing offside

3 After offside, faceoff goes back to offending team’s end

4 No icing permitted if shorthanded

5 OT variations such as 4-on-4 followed by 3-on-3

6 Serve full two minutes of a penalty

7 Yellow verification line behind goal line. If puck touches that line, goal is good.

8 No-touch icing

9 Shallow-back nets

Personally I like nrs. 2, 3, 6 and 8.

I've thought about having nr. 5 for a while now but saw problems with penalty situations that could arise.

1: no, this would be annoying

2: if its not deliberate who cares?

3: perhaps but that might be a little extreme

4: Love the idea, but make it so you just have to be outside your zone to clear not to center ice, i think thats fair

5: Screw that, 5 on 5 OT that goes until someone scores is so freaking awesome that I literally live for those moments... NO!

6: hmmm maybe this is a good idea but I would have to watch it happen in a game situation but I don't hate the idea.

7: Yes as long as we mean neon yellow line and at there is some checks to this. Cameras are all at angles so probably only the overhead cam would help with this

8: eh, you really don't see a lot of injuries from icing touch ups

9: how shallow? and you better loosen the netting then or no one will know when anyone scores. Also why? what would it help with exactly? (I am curious because this seems like there is a motive behind it but I am not sure what that is... any thoughts?)

7 Yellow verification line behind goal line. If puck touches that line, goal is good.

8 No-touch icing

9 Shallow-back nets

5, 7, 8, and 9 are the only ones I see actually happening anytime soon.

the most important rule change the the league could make though seems to be rarely discussed (by the league)...

call all of the games consistently. it should not matter if it the 1st game of the season or a game 7 in the playoffs. a hook is a hook a slash is a slash, that should not change because of the date on the calendar. that alone will help bring more fans in & not require changing or creating any new rules.

Here is the link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/what-rules-will-the-nhl-test-at-its-rd-camp/article2124005/

8 No-touch icing

9 Shallow-back nets

I've thought about having nr. 5 for a while now but saw problems with penalty situations that could arise.

I'm ok with 7 even though it won't solve all problems.

I'm ok with 8 but prefer the current system, perhaps with an early whistle if defender has a 2-step lead at the circles.

9 is a good idea.

I can't stand the rest of these.

the most important rule change the the league could make though seems to be rarely discussed (by the league)...

call all of the games consistently. it should not matter if it the 1st game of the season or a game 7 in the playoffs. a hook is a hook a slash is a slash, that should not change because of the date on the calendar. that alone will help bring more fans in & not require changing or creating any new rules.

I vehemently disagree with this. The playoffs and especially the Finals are a different beast and for the most part i think the refs do a good job of not interfering with the outcome of games.

I vehemently disagree with this. The playoffs and especially the Finals are a different beast and for the most part i think the refs do a good job of not interfering with the outcome of games.

It's an old argument but by not calling anything, one could say they are "interfering" with the outcome just as much as calling 10 penalties. Watching the replay of the 1999 Finals the other day, it was ridiculous ... both teams tackled better than the Bills. I am not saying you call every little thing, but there is a happy medium there.

I agree with this. I actually like the human error involved in most sports. It adds to the intensity. And in the end, even if it doesn't seem like it, the law of averages shows that you win some and lose some with the calls.

I honestly didn't know this, and i spent a lot of time watching NCAA games last year. what exactly was the change?

I agree with the human error concept. It's sort of an "Innocent until proven guilty" thing. If the replay can't definitively show a clear goal, then it shouldn't count, even if you're sure it probably was a goal. Until we can put X-ray in the posts, we're just going to have to live with it haha

It may have just been a Hockey East thing, I'm not 100% sure. If a player from the team that iced the puck was closer to the puck when it crossed the goal line, it basically switched over to NHL rules where the puck was live. It would still be whistled as icing if the defender wound up touching it first.

AHA used the same rule in essence but it was explained to me in reference to the face off circle. It was basically the refs discretion that they had to race to the faceoff circle/dot (I really don't know) and that determined whether icing got waived off. I liked it, but I really don't understand the specifics of it because it never got called the same way by anyone.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=A2KIi0bfgE5OC3gAqA17vLYF?slug=nc-cotsonika_summer_nhl_camp_081811

Its a good article discussing how things are going at R+D Camp. The curved glass has still not been shown or at least I have not been able to find a picture but it sounds like they would just blow it dead if it smacks it, which is good with me.

No pp icing sounds like a good idea although if it was just, you gotta make it to your blue line than I think that would be fair (ie. clear the zone you can clear the puck, you don;t have to hit center ice)

Read the article its interesting.

Go to TSN's hockey main page watch the vid on Dev camp.

Curved glass @ 2:20 in.

Pretty much what you'd expect. I can't imagine there being too many issues with the way pucks will bounce off that glass in the rare occasion. They're going to wind up in the bench the vast majority of the time.

Possibly the biggest advocate for no touch icing for years now has been Don Cherry. If even he realizes completely unnecessary hits are being made constantly, there must be something to this idea.

Didn't they change the rule last year that if you are chasing the puck on possible icings that you have to play the puck and not check the player? No touch icings are called too early and I think slow the game down a bit. I remember during the lock out the Amerks played at the arena and this rule was in effect. As soon as the puck cleared the offensive blue line all players stopped skating. I could adjust and get used to it but I like the chase and it is exciting if the offensive player gets to the puck first.

Didn't they change the rule last year that if you are chasing the puck on possible icings that you have to play the puck and not check the player? No touch icings are called too early and I think slow the game down a bit. I remember during the lock out the Amerks played at the arena and this rule was in effect. As soon as the puck cleared the offensive blue line all players stopped skating. I could adjust and get used to it but I like the chase and it is exciting if the offensive player gets to the puck first.

Yes, they had a new rule about playing the puck, but the collisions still happen. The league is actually considering a hybrid no touch icing rule though. There would still be incentive for each team to skate after the puck.

Pretty much what you'd expect. I can't imagine there being too many issues with the way pucks will bounce off that glass in the rare occasion. They're going to wind up in the bench the vast majority of the time.

The players on the ice will be "less hurt" when bangin' into that portion of the glass. Think of the player on the bench that is now exposed to getting hit in the teeth with a puck coming off the ice because the glass is at that angle. Or hits the curved portion and deflects at some odd angle the player isn't ready for.

I still like, just saying somebody gonna get surprised with a puck in the face.

8 No-touch icing

9 Shallow-back nets

3, 5, 7, 9 should be implemented and I'd be OK with a hybrid no touch icing if D man is clearly winning race. Absolute NO on # 4 and 6. That is insane.

What would be more important is ENFORCING OBSTRUCTION like they did in 05-06

New point system: (No Shootouts)

3 points for regulation win.

2 points for OT win.

1 point for OT loss.

0 point for regulation loss.

This means ALL games are worth 3 points. Enough of the 2 point or 3 point games.

Overtime format: 5 mins 4 on 4. If no goals then, 4 mins 3 on 3. If no goals then, 3 mins 2 on 2. If no goals, continuous 1 on 1 play with goalies still in nets until someone scores. Should be even more interesting to watch than Shootouts. Players able to change if there is whistle.

New point system: (No Shootouts)

3 points for regulation win.

2 points for OT win.

1 point for OT loss.

0 point for regulation loss.

This means ALL games are worth 3 points. Enough of the 2 point or 3 point games.

I have always liked this idea, but it was pointed out by someone I believe at the end of this past season that even using this format didn't change the order that the teams ranked by more than a couple switches.

Overtime format: 5 mins 4 on 4. If no goals then, 4 mins 3 on 3. If no goals then, 3 mins 2 on 2. If no goals, continuous 1 on 1 play with goalies still in nets until someone scores. Should be even more interesting to watch than Shootouts. Players able to change if there is whistle.[/b]

This is just ridiculous :lol: :doh:

I have always liked this idea, but it was pointed out by someone I believe at the end of this past season that even using this format didn't change the order that the teams ranked by more than a couple switches.

This is just ridiculous :lol: :doh:

what would you suggest for OT? If there is no shootout anymore, what do you do? Go back to Ties after an OT session?

lets keep it simple:

win in reg or ot = 2pts

win in shootout = 1pt

lose at all - 0pts

also make OT in the regular season 4v4 for 4 then 3v3 for 3, i like that idea a lot then shootout away. I think they have some good changes they could make.

lets keep it simple:

win in reg or ot = 2pts

win in shootout = 1pt

loss at all - 0pts

also make OT in the regular season 4v4 for 4 then 3v3 for 3, i like that idea a lot then shootout away. I think they have some good changes they could make.

what happens when neither team scores through 2 OT sessions? I mean I like the idea about the OT, but unless you want ties then eventually you need continuous 1 on 1.

Archived