How are the Sabres going to get under the salary cap?

Barnabov

Apologies in advance if this has been detailed in another thread, but I would like to know from the board what's going to be done to drop us under the salary cap by the deadline (and when is that?). According to CapGeek, we are $3,595,357 over with Gragnani still to sign (which would put us at 8 D, 14 Forwards & 2 Goalies = 1 over the roster max).

So, how do the Sabres shed $4 million and change from the team? Only easy way I can see it getting done is to trade Pominville (for probably a draft pick since they can't pick anyone up that would be on the NHL roster). Otherwise you are looking at needing to make a couple of moves - Morrisonn & Kotalik would offset what's needed to be shed but questionable whether anyone wants them. There are still 4 or so teams that need to get up to the cap floor of $48.3 million but who's to say how they are going to do it.

Look forward to those who are smarter than I am forecasting how this problem will be addressed. Good thing is that there is still time to do it but only certainity is that it must be done and longer Sabres wait, less easy it will become.

If they aren't moved, kotalik and Morrisonn can be sent down to Rochester and they won't count against the cap.

This is sounding like a broken record...

To the OP: the deadline is opening night. The team must be under the cap by October 7th. This will include more than likely what Weave has mentioned, and possibly a trade (Regier said he is still looking), but more than likely, nothing more than sending 2 guys down to Roc.

If they can't find anyone willing to take Kotalik or Morrisonn in trade for a pick, which could happen (doubtful, though), then those two will be waived before opening night. If they clear, then they will be in Rochester. There is a small chance that Kotalik could beat out Boyes, resulting in those two switching spots (Boyes actually makes more), but I would say that it's definitely Brad's spot to lose.

Edit: I hate when I get distracted while posting, then finally hit post, and somebody has said everything that I've written.

If they can't find anyone willing to take Kotalik or Morrisonn in trade for a pick, which could happen (doubtful, though), then those two will be waived before opening night. If they clear, then they will be in Rochester. There is a small chance that Kotalik could beat out Boyes, resulting in those two switching spots (Boyes actually makes more), but I would say that it's definitely Brad's spot to lose.

Edit: I hate when I get distracted while posting, then finally hit post, and somebody has said everything that I've written.

For the win :D

I just have no distractions right, that's all haha :nana:

Kotalik and Mmorrissonn to the Amerks is the obvious move.

Trading Pominville for a pick makes the team worse. Not likely to happen. More likely dump would be Boyes, but that's unlikely as well.

Mmorrissonn could be traded I guess, but I can also see Darcy perferring to bury him in the minors for depth.

I would be shocked if Alko is anywhere but Rochester or Europe come October.

Edit: See Carp

I just have no distractions right, that's all haha :nana:

Got to be! I must be more important ... or busy ... or easily distracted. Probably one of those. ;)

Mmorrissonn

Something's not right about that. Is there an extra "o" in there?

Kotalik and Mmorrissonn to the Amerks is the obvious move.

Trading Pominville for a pick makes the team worse. Not likely to happen. More likely dump would be Boyes, but that's unlikely as well.

Mmorrissonn could be traded I guess, but I can also see Darcy perferring to bury him in the minors for depth.

I would be shocked if Alko is anywhere but Rochester or Europe come October.

Edit: See Carp

I don't think Boyes is going anywhere. He was doing pretty well before they shifted him over to center. If he is back in his natural position, I think he'll be one of our top point getters.

I don't think there are going to be any takeers for Kotalik or Shaone, especially Al. Al wasn't claimed when he went through waivers last season, why would someone trade something for him now? Especially if they know he'll have to pass through waivers later on in the year if he is called up or sent down.

I just stopped doing my work for now :rolleyes: ...It's Friday, 2/3 of my customers are on vacation, and I'm just waiting these last 40 minutes to leave :thumbsup:

All your customers European? Because a bunch of people I work with that I need to talk to are all on these like 3-4 week summer holidays (that's what they call them in Europe), and all of Europe is basically shut down for business.

As for the thread. I think Morrisonn gets traded, and he could fetch a decent late round pick like 4th or 5th. Kotalik plays in Rochester unless Pominville cannot start the season. Very simple. If Pominville is healthy, then Kotalik goes to Rochester immediately. And, you're under the cap. Only other thing possible is a trade of Boyes for a 2nd round pick and keeping Kotalik on the roster, but why bother? It's not like he'll get picked up on waivers anyway. And if so, great for Buffalo!

All your customers European? Because a bunch of people I work with that I need to talk to are all on these like 3-4 week summer holidays (that's what they call them in Europe), and all of Europe is basically shut down for business.

only 1 of my customers is in Europe, the rest just decided to go to their lake houses or camping, or where ever engineers and sales managers vacation these days.

As for the thread. I think Morrisonn gets traded, and he could fetch a decent late round pick like 4th or 5th. Kotalik plays in Rochester unless Pominville cannot start the season. Very simple. If Pominville is healthy, then Kotalik goes to Rochester immediately. And, you're under the cap. Only other thing possible is a trade of Boyes for a 2nd round pick and keeping Kotalik on the roster, but why bother? It's not like he'll get picked up on waivers anyway. And if so, great for Buffalo!

I agree

I read a while ago that it was unlikely Pomminstein would be ready to begin the season. So his salary wouldnt count towards the cap until he returned, and then it would count at a prorated amount. But Kotalik in Rochester and Morrisson claimed off waivers is my guess.

I read a while ago that it was unlikely Pomminstein would be ready to begin the season. So his salary wouldnt count towards the cap until he returned, and then it would count at a prorated amount. But Kotalik in Rochester and Morrisson claimed off waivers is my guess.

I'd have to go searching for the link, but I am walking out the door at work here in the next 5 or 10 minutes, but Lindy or Darcy was saying that he is on track to start the season I thought. Correct me if I'm wrong someone?

I'd have to go searching for the link, but I am walking out the door at work here in the next 5 or 10 minutes, but Lindy or Darcy was saying that he is on track to start the season I thought. Correct me if I'm wrong someone?

Darcy said yesterday in his Enroth presser that Pommers would be ready for training camp.

heres the plan...

Morrison gets traded for a pick

Kotalik goes to Rochester

Ellis doesnt really count

MAG will be the 7th guy and prob make like 600k so thats almost irrelevent too...

bottom line: We are not in cap trouble and are gently rubbing the cap ceiling like we just had some wonka fizzy lifting drinks... life is good

edit: still winning lol, thxs s

Thanks to all for explaining this and sorry for it being a broken record. With a newborn, trying to keep up with hockey news in the Summer isn't possible. For some reason, I thought you couldn't waive high dollar veterans to get cap relief but I must have been thinking that because there's always a possibility you could lose them on waivers (supposed to prevent teams stockpiling guys in the minors but fact is with salary cap now in place, most players not worth their contracts tend to pass through without trouble).

As Harrington pointed out on TBN website today, even with Kotalik and Morrisson in the minors, after Gragnani signing the Sabres will only be less than $1 mil under the cap. His "informed opinion", as he calls it, believes they will be making a trade and he went as far as to call out Brad Boyes -- saying something like "I hope Boyes isn't shopping for a house. Better go month-to-month lease." Maybe he's just reiterating the general consensus (that Boyes could be traded to clear space), or maybe he knows something we don't. He actually said something like "it might be a bigger trade than we all think."

As Harrington pointed out on TBN website today, even with Kotalik and Morrisson in the minors, after Gragnani signing the Sabres will only be less than $1 mil under the cap. His "informed opinion", as he calls it, believes they will be making a trade and he went as far as to call out Brad Boyes -- saying something like "I hope Boyes isn't shopping for a house. Better go month-to-month lease." Maybe he's just reiterating the general consensus (that Boyes could be traded to clear space), or maybe he knows something we don't. He actually said something like "it might be a bigger trade than we all think."

Eklund ought to run crazy with that info.

I'll say this, I like having all of the wingers that we have. And I'm not in any hurry to see Boyes go. For the first time since 06 we likely have 3 scoring lines. And I think Boyes is a 50-60pt winger with this squad.

Having said all that, I still don't think we have any big moment type players at the forward positions. That'll hurt come playoff time. But if we can field 3 scoring lines it'll likely be a very entertaining Oct - Mar.

Looking at capgeek just now I see that if we take our current roster and demote Ellis, Morrisonn, and Kotalik we end up with almost exactly $2M in cap space. Add Gragnani back and it is probably more like $1.2M in space. So we don't HAVE to do anything other than assign a couple bodies to Rochester. Nothing to see here.

Edit- HOLY COW !! Check out the capgeek homepage. We're the highest payroll team in the league !!

Edit- HOLY COW !! Check out the capgeek homepage. We're the highest payroll team in the league !!

Makes you wonder if $$$ is going to be an object when call ups occur. Besides someone on the Sabres roster going on IR, they aren't going to have a lot of room to wiggle. Calling up Tropp, Biega, or Stuart would be easier (financially) than calling up Adam, Kassian, or McNabb.

Not to sound like a religious nut, but Regier always has a plan, even if it's not apparent to us. The guy is the quiet chess player type, always 3 moves ahead of what he's showing. We'll just have to wait until the season starts to see where his moves are going to take him.

Archived