How are the Sabres going to get under the salary cap?

Barnabov

Makes you wonder if $$$ is going to be an object when call ups occur. Besides someone on the Sabres roster going on IR, they aren't going to have a lot of room to wiggle. Calling up Tropp, Biega, or Stuart would be easier (financially) than calling up Adam, Kassian, or McNabb.

That was why I was speculating that Ellis might end up as the spare rather than Adam if there are no other trades this offseason. That buys them ~$250k in cap space and it keeps a youngster that they are still trying to develop playing every day until they're ready to get him in the lineup.

I think Morrison will be waived and sent to Rochester if no one picks him up. Kotalik will compete for a spot in camp, but will likely start in the AHL. He knows Lindys system and has some speed and can shoot, so he will be a valuable call up option. This talk of Boyes being traded doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Everyone has noticed how his production dropped when he was moved to center from RW, but they moved him back to wing in game 7 with Roy at center and he scored. Patience folks. I sorta think Hecht and Pomminstein might be moved to a third line two-way checking line and penalty kill focus and Kaleta will have some real pressure on him this year. I would look for Kassian to be called up after the new year to possibly give the 4th line a little more offensive dynamic as well as crunch.

I seem to remember that some teams that were hard against the salary cap lending a player to a European team and getting out from under. I think this saves cash, too. I think the player has to agree. Could this happen, especially with Kotalik?

Morrisonn could probably be traded for a mid to low level prospect or pick, or even a minor leaguer. If not then waived and either picked up or Rochester.

I think it makes the most sense to move Boyes for picks given the depth at wing. Hecht is a more versatile player who can fill the center roll better if needed.

I also think they should sign one more free agent center for depth as a 3rd/4th line center and penalty killer, which Drury stands out as the UFA left who fits that bill. Works for me if they can get for about $1 million on a one-year deal.

So...with stashing Kotalik and Morrison in Rochester for depth, and making these moves, my crude math says that would put them about $3.5 under the cap. They're going to need at least that much wiggle room for full flexibility to make moves during the season.

Still feels odd (and exciting at the same time) we're discussing how the Sabres can get UNDER the cap...

Makes you wonder if $$$ is going to be an object when call ups occur. Besides someone on the Sabres roster going on IR, they aren't going to have a lot of room to wiggle. Calling up Tropp, Biega, or Stuart would be easier (financially) than calling up Adam, Kassian, or McNabb.

No one will be a real problem for a blue line call up. The McNabb figure isn't too much trouble, but he won't get his shot this year unless something really flukey happens. Shiestel and Brennan are right up on top of that list.

I think Morrison will be waived and sent to Rochester if no one picks him up. Kotalik will compete for a spot in camp, but will likely start in the AHL. He knows Lindys system and has some speed and can shoot, so he will be a valuable call up option. This talk of Boyes being traded doesnt make a lot of sense to me. Everyone has noticed how his production dropped when he was moved to center from RW, but they moved him back to wing in game 7 with Roy at center and he scored. Patience folks. I sorta think Hecht and Pomminstein might be moved to a third line two-way checking line and penalty kill focus and Kaleta will have some real pressure on him this year. I would look for Kassian to be called up after the new year to possibly give the 4th line a little more offensive dynamic as well as crunch.

I agree with almost all of this. They will give Kotalik a chance to make the team but he'll have one foot in Rochester while doing so.

The Boyes trade talk made little sense to me either (unless it's a one-sided deal). He has only played a couple of months with the club and they do have hopes of him returning to his goal scoring ways and want to give him that opportunity. They think that a change of scenery will be an asset and they haven't fully explored that idea yet.

The Kassian call up is iffy. It will depend on how he improves and matures in Rochester. Skills are a lot easier to improve than maturity.

Archived