[OT] Official Bar & Restaraunt Endorsement Thread

Sterling Archer

what is going to help with that is a new law requiring any chain with 20 or more locations to print calorie info on their menus. Restaurants are in a panc because most dishes have between 1000-2000 cals (a full day for me) in them.

A friend of mine is a manager at Outback, and she was telling us that they are actually making some pretty significant changes to many of the menu items because of this very law.

Yeah I looooove fish, especially blackened. Also a huge sushi and sashimi fan.

Good stuff from Braedon too, particularly the link about skim milk which I happen to use every day. I'll think about bumping that up to 1% milk instead.

While this is a very interesting tangent, I'm also hoping for some lighter healthy restaurant recommendations in keeping with the original spirit of the thread. I see that O3 has recently opened on Elmwood...anybody try it yet?

One thing I wanted to mention CD is on the topic of healthy restaurants. We're so consumed with weight control that we forget what they pump into the food. One of the WORST things about restaurants is the sodium, which research shows gets worse for you as you age. Stay away from PF Changs, it makes me sick just thinking of how much salt is in their food. I've provided a link of some of the worst, complements of Men's Health:

Saltiest Foods in America

One thing I wanted to mention CD is on the topic of healthy restaurants. We're so consumed with weight control that we forget what they pump into the food. One of the WORST things about restaurants is the sodium, which research shows gets worse for you as you age. Stay away from PF Changs, it makes me sick just thinking of how much salt is in their food. I've provided a link of some of the worst, complements of Men's Health:

Saltiest Foods in America

Good point. Fortunately I eat so little sodium in my regular diet that I honestly don't pay too much attention to it when I go out. I suppose I should...but I'm far from perfect and I truly believe that maintaining overall healthy eating habits for the rest of my life requires just saying f*** it once in a while and enjoying the crap out of something that's absolutely horrible for me.

Plus I've only been to PF Changs once and it was mediocre food and subpar service, so I will not be returning again. Also, I try to support local wherever possible (yes, I realize I pimped Chipotle up-thread).

Good point. Fortunately I eat so little sodium in my regular diet that I honestly don't pay too much attention to it when I go out. I suppose I should...but I'm far from perfect and I truly believe that maintaining overall healthy eating habits for the rest of my life requires just saying f*** it once in a while and enjoying the crap out of something that's absolutely horrible for me.

Plus I've only been to PF Changs once and it was mediocre food and subpar service, so I will not be returning again. Also, I try to support local wherever possible (yes, I realize I pimped Chipotle up-thread).

Chipotle is one of the only chains in America that buys local. You pimped a good restaurant, even if they were a subsidiary of McDonalds for a number of years.

Chipotle is one of the only chains in America that buys local. You pimped a good restaurant, even if they were a subsidiary of McDonalds for a number of years.

did that end?

Hey, thanks alot for this link. Funny thing is I just ate #5 on this list for dinner tonight, lol. It was a pretty healthy choice otherwise, but I did not even think to look at the sodium content. I will be looking more closely at this going forward.

Alright, good discussion, but I'm heading to bed now. Bon appetit!

Hey, thanks alot for this link. Funny thing is I just ate #5 on this list for dinner tonight, lol. It was a pretty healthy choice otherwise, but I did not even think to look at the sodium content. I will be looking more closely at this going forward.

Alright, good discussion, but I'm heading to bed now. Bon appetit!

That's what I always get! I was going to post something about it after going througt the list (the link was on my clipboard...) 5g of salt. holy crap.

A good simple, common sense "diet" can be found here:

http://www.nosdiet.com

After reading the whole page, you can really use it as a rallying point. I too cheat on the weekends, but that is good for you to keep your body from lowering its metabolism and to reset your leptin levels which controls a bunch of important stuff.

I hate whole milk or 2%. Always drank skim milk. I'll look into the processing part. Thanks.

Hey thanks for this. I've been looking for some sort of "diet" that icould use, and i actually like the common sense and simplicity of this one.

Eh, that's fine. I want to feel good about myself and I want to live a very long, active life. Carrying around an extra 50-100 lbs. just doesn't jive with my goals. Plus, I married a very beautiful gal. That fat guy, hot chick thing may work on TV, but not in real life. ;)

What?!? Another fantasy shot to hell..... :blink: BTW, great looking family! Keep up the good work - carry on.

Bump.

Congrats to all that have lost a (proverbial) ton of weight. :thumbsup:

I've lost a fair amount and kept it off for the past year. The biggest part of that was keeping track of what I eat, making a lot of stuff at home (as others have mentioned, you'll easily eat at least 800 calories w/ a tiny restaurant meal (that leaves you still hungry) and come close to 1,500-2,000 w/ a sit down meal), & reducing (but not eliminating) fat - basically no mayo, very little cheese (except for a weekly cheeseburger and the more than occasional pizza), light ice cream (Perry's has a very good 'Lemon Meringue Pie'), eating 2-6 wings rather than 1-2 dozen when I get wings, etc. I'm far too much a carboholic to give up carbs, but I keep track of total calories on daily, weekly, and monthly basis and even though there may be a bad overall week or month bringing the intake back in-line for 2-3 days seems to keep everything about where I want it.

As to the earlier post about Eckl's. I will respectfully disagree w/ the poster on that 1. Schwabl's is far superior IMHO.

Hadn't been to the Bar Bill since forever, but went there for New Years and got to realize just how much I'd missed those wings. :thumbsup:

Learn how to cook foods from different cultures. Lots of variety of healthy flavors.

Good call; Thai food has awesome flavor and isn't bad on fat (at least the dishes that don't contain coconut milk). Probably high sodium with the fish sauce, though. This cookbook is a great starter for anyone interested.

Good call; Thai food has awesome flavor and isn't bad on fat (at least the dishes that don't contain coconut milk). Probably high sodium with the fish sauce, though. This cookbook is a great starter for anyone interested.

Awesome Bio, thanks for the reference. Love thai and would love to make it at home.

Awesome Bio, thanks for the reference. Love thai and would love to make it at home.

No problem! A friend actually got the book for me, but I love it. I haven't tried all the recipes by a longshot because I keep going back to the same 4 or 5 favorites, lol. The Thai version of tuna salad is quite delicious, and my boyfriend really loves the issahn (spelling?) style pork salad. Pork salad sounds weird, but trust me, it's awesome. I never thought pork, lime juice, mint, and crushed red pepper would go together, but they really do. And for the carb-o-phobes, a lot of dishes (including that one) can be eaten using Boston bibb lettuce to make little messy wraps instead of eating it with rice. :thumbsup:

btw, your new avatar is kinda creepy... looks like Adam Lambert had a love child with the bearded lady. :bag:

btw, your new avatar is kinda creepy... looks like Adam Lambert had a love child with the bearded lady. :bag:

Ha ha I was going for creepy. You're not far off with Lambert. It's a famous actress photo-shopped. Hint: many arrests

Bar/Restaurant: Snooty Fox on Delaware has a cool bar atmosphere plus really good food if you want to sit in the back and eat quietly

Pizza: I am gonna be weird and say Great Northern Pizza kitchen in Williamsville on main street. Great Variety of pies and they are pretty much all good, especially sauced up buffalo and mac n cheese.

ps: they have salads and sandwiches too for healthy ppl.

Bar/Restaurant: Snooty Fox on Delaware has a cool bar atmosphere plus really good food if you want to sit in the back and eat quietly

Pizza: I am gonna be weird and say Great Northern Pizza kitchen in Williamsville on main street. Great Variety of pies and they are pretty much all good, especially sauced up buffalo and mac n cheese.

The Fox turns me off. We used to go there with friends prior to us relocating, and to be honest I never had fun there. You can feel the fakeness in the air. Too much superficiality for my tastes.

Who is Lindsay Lohan?

DING DING DING

The Fox turns me off. We used to go there with friends prior to us relocating, and to be honest I never had fun there. You can feel the fakeness in the air. Too much superficiality for my tastes.

hmm, i can totally agree with that "snootiness" feeling but the food is AMAZING, especially snooty steak. I go for the food more than the bar (when i can afford it)

This isn't a restaurant, but since a bunch of you are looking for ways to find less boring healthy food, I thought it might be of interest to some folks. It's a cool little company where you can order custom-made cereal (or snack mix, depending on what you add):

me&goji

You get to select everything, from the base cereal (flakes, hoops, granola, etc) to all kinds of extras like fruit, nuts, and flaxseed. They update the nutritional information as you add/remove ingredients, you get to name it when you're done, and they save the recipe so you can reorder again later if you want. It can get a little pricey if you add lots of fruit and nuts, but the ready-made healthy cereals aren't exactly cheap, either.

Love, love, LOVE Thai food! :thumbsup:

Jasmine up on NF Blvd near Sheridan isn't bad.

I lost about 75 lbs. on the Alton Brown 'diet' over the last year+. I've been kinda stuck fro awhile though, although that's conincided with working more and travel. It's not that hard to follow, really.

(part 1, the first 6 minutes spell the whole thing out)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2gaQ0IoIfU

Archived