[OT] Official Bar & Restaraunt Endorsement Thread

Sterling Archer

I know it's the 4th but I'm lazy and have no real plans. So today, I ventured out to Elmwood to acquire some food and I was inspired for a thread. Thus I give my 5-star personal picks for local faire. Feel free to add but I will snicker at you for suggesting chains.

1. Zetti's Pizza (Elmwoood@Bidwell)- There are 3 locations but, from heresay, the word is that this one is the best. At least have 10 different types of pizza out for slices and they are massive. Not only that but it isn't your average pizza. They have zitti, chkn parm, spinach/broccoli bruschetta, chkn/bcn/rnch, etc. Great variety. One slice will fill you.

2. McGarrett's (Elmwood@Bidwell)- The first bar I visited when I moved here. Cheap well drinks ($4 for a tall). Decent beer list. Cool bands.

3. Visili's Express (Elmwood across from Pano's)- Eating now for the first time and I'm getting my socks knocked off. Cheap. Paid $11 for a Greek burger, fries, and a Gyro. Burger was cooked to order. Fries were awesome. Gyro had real lamb, great sauce, and they put fries on it. Amazing.

4. ETS (Elmwood@Bidwell)- I only like one thing there but it's enough to be mentioned, THE FRY SUPREME. It's taco meat, cheese, salsa, baked over fries and impossible to finish in one sitting.

5. Sweetness 7 Cafe (Grant@Lafayette)- Bit expensive but totally worth it. Everything is made fresh. Couple of vegan and vegetarian options. (Read: I am neither of these but it's still good food.) Cool people. And it's never really packed.

6. Santora's Pizza (Delaware@Dekalb in Tonawanda)- Was my favorite pizza living in Tonawanda. It was the sauce. Unbelievable. And easily the best wings. Hard for a lot of places to get both right.

Wings - the Bar Bill in East Aurora. (But you can look for it in W. Seneca. ;))

Beef on Weck - Schwabl's in West Seneca.

Pizza - LaPaloma's in Alden.

Buffalo style Mexican/drunk food - Mighty - any location.

Dogs - Teds - any location.

Food/Bar near the Mmarena - The Irish Times.

Hamburger / Ice Cream Joint near Darien Lake - Beechy's in Darien Center. (I know the ownership changed, not sure what it's called now. It's just east of Rte 77 on Rte 20.)

Honorable mention for wings/bar - Elmo's in Getzville.

PS - Snicker all you want, you started the chains Mr. Santora's. :doh:

Wings - the Bar Bill in East Aurora. (But you can look for it in W. Seneca. ;))

Beef on Weck - Schwabl's in West Seneca.

Pizza - LaPaloma's in Alden.

Buffalo style Mexican/drunk food - Mighty - any location.

Dogs - Teds - any location.

Food/Bar near the Mmarena - The Irish Times.

Hamburger / Ice Cream Joint near Darien Lake - Beechy's in Darien Center. (I know the ownership changed, not sure what it's called now. It's just east of Rte 77 on Rte 20.)

Honorable mention for wings/bar - Elmo's in Getzville.

PS - Snicker all you want, you started the chains Mr. Santora's. :doh:

Santoras is a chain beyond Buffalo?

Also, what's the name of that bar in tonawanda by BK that does great beef on weck?

And for Ra-cha-cha:

Bar-be-que/Food/Bar near War Memorial - Dinosaur (Yes, I prefer it to Sticky Lips)

Bar / Bar Food - Distillery (across from East View preferred locale) Jeremiah's deserves honorable mention.

Chinese - Golden Phoenix in Perinton

Mexican - Casa Azteca in Perinton (real honest to goodness Mexican, not Tex-Mex)

Thai - Pataya's in Penfield

Pizza - Pudgies (honorable mentions - J&L's & East Side Cafe in Perinton)

Tex-Mex - Mex in Ra-cha-cha

Diner - West Wayne Cafe in Macedon

Wings - mine :)

And for Ra-cha-cha:

Bar-be-que/Food/Bar near War Memorial - Dinosaur (Yes, I prefer it to Sticky Lips)

Bar / Bar Food - Distillery (across from East View preferred locale) Jeremiah's deserves honorable mention.

Mexican - Casa Azteca in Perinton (real honest to goodness Mexican, not Tex-Mex)

Do they have any pontillo's on the east side for pizza? There are several locations around here but the one in the village of spencerport is by far the best pizza i've ever had. Slices are enourmous (bigger than Zetties, although not by much)

As far as bar food goes, i'm a fan of the distillery, but my favorite is Rookies off of Buffalo road.

And of course, with the mention of Rochester cuisine, there'd be no list complete without the best garbage plate, Stevie T's off of spencerport / Lyell road (whatever you wanna call it, route 31 to you buffalonians.)

Do they have any pontillo's on the east side for pizza? There are several locations around here but the one in the village of spencerport is by far the best pizza i've ever had. Slices are enourmous (bigger than Santoras, although not by much)

As far as wings go, i'm a fan of the distillery, but my favorite is Rookies off of Buffalo road.

And of course, with the mention of Rochester cuisine, there'd be no list complete without the best garbage plate, Stevie T's off of spencerport / Lyell road (whatever you wanna call it, route 31 to you buffalonians.)

They do have Pontillo's out this way. But the problem w/ that chain is they are extremely hit or miss. The one in Bushnell's Basin (which may still be there; haven't eaten there in probably 10 years) was excellent. The one on 31 in Perinton, not so much.

I like the Distillery's wings. The Sports Page used to have good wings, but I haven't been there since the ownership change a couple of years back. Baird Road Pub had good wings, but again haven't been there since the ownership change. (Friggin' Inky skipped out on FA Friday. :angry: ) Thomas Creek Ice Arena has very good wings - crispy w/ just Franks & butter - hard to go wrong there. IIRC Jeremiah's had good wings, but I haven't had wings there in a loooong time. I don't care for J&L's wings and Mark's buffalo wings are too mild and their hot are too barbeque for my taste.

West Wayne Cafe has a good version of a garbage plate (Nick's is pretty protective of the name, can't recall what WWC calls theirs) but I still get a garbage plate every September when the Bills start playing (hopefully I'll get my chance to get there again this year).

If I'm out that far west I might have to check Rookie's out.

I heard the Anchor Bar in Henrietta is not very good (not too surprisingly), am looking forward to heading to the Mighty that's going in there.

And for Ra-cha-cha:

And for those that want real Mexican and don't want to drive to Perinton, I'm a huge supporter of a little hole in the wall place on E. Henrietta road called El Dorado. Give it a try and tell Nelson the waiter that "Botas" told you about it.

They do have Pontillo's out this way. But the problem w/ that chain is they are extremely hit or miss. The one in Bushnell's Basin (which may still be there; haven't eaten there in probably 10 years) was excellent. The one on 31 in Perinton, not so much.

It's llike that out this way too. I live between the spencerport and gates pontillos, and the spencerport location is above and beyond better than the gates location.

An interesting little tidbit, if i recall correctly i remember my grandparents talking about the pontillo's living near them. (my dad grew up in lockport) And if i recall correctly, i think Lock city pizza (which is also excellent) used to be the original pontillo's and ergo was owned by said family, but as more locations moved out there was a split in the family so the original location went to one side and the chain to the other, Resulting in the name change to lock city.

like i said, i'm not positive this is the case but this is what i recall my grandparents telling me. Kinda neat to see how intertwined both locations actually are.

Speaking of Lockport, Reids is an AMAZING local burger and dog joint. Nothing fancy, it's kinda scummy even for a dive, but the food is wonderful, cheap, and the milkshakes are excellent. Definiitely worth checking out if anyone is ever in the lockport area.

Touche. :lol:

You've heard correctly.

Clearly you jest. Absolute favorite restaurant ever. Ate there for the first time many years ago when I was first looking at UB for school and go back every chance I get. A hundred times better than duffs, unless youre looking for a bowl of chicken wing sauce with some wings thrown in. pizza is fantastic too

Clearly you jest. Absolute favorite restaurant ever. Ate there for the first time many years ago when I was first looking at UB for school and go back every chance I get. A hundred times better than duffs, unless youre looking for a bowl of chicken wing sauce with some wings thrown in. pizza is fantastic too

Sorry. Been there waaaay too often when the wings were slightly undercooked and also when they've used a bucket that had just been used for barbeque wings to mix the hot wings. I can almost forgive the wings not being crispy enough, but absolutely cannot forgive serving hot wings w/ a barbeque undertone (if hot was what was ordered). And it is very embarrassing to take visitors from out of town there and not have a good dinner.

As mentioned above, when in Buffalo, I prefer to head to East Aurora and the Bar Bill for wings or over to Millersport for Elmo's. But I will head to Duff's prior to heading to the Anchor.

You should probably heed the words of this thread and go on an adventure.

wow....

Can't argue if it's your fav, but certainly isn't mine. Back in the day, they were great, not so much anymore for me. Don't like that they outsource the sauces. Also heard that they don't change the oil often enough, though that is strictly here say.

I like Duffs, I love Sal's in Depew.

French Pub in Cheektowaga has great food.

I'll take duffs over the anchor bar any day.

You should probably heed the words of this thread and go on an adventure.

I have, four years at UB and family still in the area means I have been just about everywhere that's anywhere in Buffalo. I personally hate any sauce other than bleu cheese on my wings, so I'm not a big fan of Duffs. My mother refuses to go to Duffs because of how much sauce they put on the wings. I've never had an uncrispy wing at Anchor Bar, never had a single bad expereience there. There's a reason you can't get near the place during the winter. Seems like a lot of you like a saucy wing though, and if that's your preference then Duffs is the clear winner.

Archived