[OT] Official Bar & Restaraunt Endorsement Thread

Sterling Archer

I have, four years at UB and family still in the area means I have been just about everywhere that's anywhere in Buffalo. I personally hate any sauce other than bleu cheese on my wings, so I'm not a big fan of Duffs. My mother refuses to go to Duffs because of how much sauce they put on the wings. I've never had an uncrispy wing at Anchor Bar, never had a single bad expereience there. There's a reason you can't get near the place during the winter. Seems like a lot of you like a saucy wing though, and if that's your preference then Duffs is the clear winner.

You don't order your wings with ANY sauce at all?

You guys are lucky you can have an arguement over who has better wings. Other than my own homemade wings (icidentally, I was taght by a cook at the pontillos in charlotte), I can't get a decent chicken wing without driving over 400 miles.

Now my mouth is watering. And i have a full tank of gas...

Stevie T's is on my list for best plate.

That's steve Tahou for those of you who didn't know. It's the same plate as nick's, open 24-7, and i don't have to worry about a car driving into the dining room.

I had many of Nicks when I lived in Ra Cha Cha and really miss it. One great thing about WNY is great food like wings, weck, fish frys, garbage plates, hot dogs, mighty taco

No garbage plates??????

I'm sick of garbage plates. After living here for 5 years, I've moved on. I'll have one now and then, but I don't think they're the greatest thing ever anymore.

I'm excited for our new Mighty Taco. :thumbsup:

As mentioned above, when in Buffalo, I prefer to head to East Aurora and the Bar Bill for wings or over to Millersport for Elmo's. But I will head to Duff's prior to heading to the Anchor.

Nobody backed up your Elmo's choice. Back when I was local to Buffalo I had two places for wings. Elmo's and Brennan's Bowery Bar. IMO they both had the best wings in the 'burbs. Having moved out of the county 10 years ago I can't speak to their greatness anymore but they used to be my fav's.

You Rochester guys..... ever make it out to The Stoneyard in Brockport? We don't get into Brockport often but when we do we make time for a meal there. Fantastic Cubano sammiches. And great beers on tap too.

And if any of you ever get into Batavia, Sunny's on the back side of the Genesee Country Mall has the absolute best clam chowder I've ever had. The rest of the menu is good if unspectacular but that chowder is killer.

And the best reuben I've ever had was headed out towards Korab Rules country at the Village Tavern in Hammondsport, NY at the bottom of Keuka Lake.

The only garbage plate I've ever had was at Athena's in Tonawanda and it was meh.

ahhh... ya can't get a plate in the Buffalo area. I've looked all over, and none of em measure up. If you're ever in the Roc and it's not late at night hit up Nick Tahou's for the original garbage plate. If it's later on at night you can get the same thing at Stevie T's (which is why it's my personal preference)

You'll feel like death after you eat it, but it's wonderful while you're scarfing it down.

I'm sick of garbage plates. After living here for 5 years, I've moved on. I'll have one now and then, but I don't think they're the greatest thing ever anymore.

I'm excited for our new Mighty Taco. :thumbsup:

I'll get a plate once every one or two months, so it's not a major staple of mine. In my opinion it's just as much about the people you go to get one with as it is the artery clogging grease.

And AMEN to the soon to be Mighty.

ahhh... ya can't get a plate in the Buffalo area. I've looked all over, and none of em measure up. If you're ever in the Roc and it's not late at night hit up Nick Tahou's for the original garbage plate. If it's later on at night you can get the same thing at Stevie T's (which is why it's my personal preference)

You'll feel like death after you eat it, but it's wonderful while you're scarfing it down.

I haven't had a plate since my last one at Nick's in '83. Glad to hear there is a safe location to get them. Does Sal's Birdland still exist?

Don't any of you like to eat good food?

American: Hutch's. Stop going to Mighty for four nights and save up enough for a really great meal.

Italian: Ristorante Lombardo. Amazing. Not your "red sauce" Italian restaurant; this is gourmet. It will cost you three visits to Duff's. (If you like "red sauce" Italian restaurants, I won't know them. I grew up with the best red sauce in town, but it died with my grandmother. Now I have to settle for second-best when my mother invites me over. Still better than anything at a restaurant.)

French: Rue Franklin. But plan on a bite afterwards, because the portions, like French junk, are small.

Modern: Sample. This will set you back several Arby's visits, though; it's tiny portions of just about everything. But just about everything tastes amazing.

Spanish: We have no good Spanish food here, and it bothers me. Toro is not good Spanish food. Frankly, the best Spanish food I've had since moving here is in Terminal 6 at JFK. That place isn't bad.

Tex-Mex: C'mon. Mighty? Shame on you. That's canned beef on a crappy tortilla. Find Lloyd the Taco Truck and eat up! (And that one's cheap.)

Steak: As previously observed, I think by Drain, there really isn't a steak joint that's incredible here, but if you're looking, try Russell's (the only reason to go to the burbs besides visiting my parents, IMO) or EB Green's. Russell's is better. By far. Chop house is, well, meh.

Sushi: You're not gonna beat Kuni on Lex.

EDIT: Bar with stylish chicks and good snacks during the winter: Left Bank. During the summer? Please let me know.

American: Hutch's. Stop going to Mighty for four nights and save up enough for a really great meal.

Italian: Ristorante Lombardo. Amazing. Not your "red sauce" Italian restaurant; this is gourmet. It will cost you three visits to Duff's. (If you like "red sauce" Italian restaurants, I won't know them. I grew up with the best red sauce in town, but it died with my grandmother. Now I have to settle for second-best when my mother invites me over. Still better than anything at a restaurant.)

French: Rue Franklin. But plan on a bite afterwards, because the portions, like French junk, are small.

Modern: Sample. This will set you back several Arby's visits, though; it's tiny portions of just about everything. But just about everything tastes amazing.

Spanish: We have no good Spanish food here, and it bothers me. Toro is not good Spanish food. Frankly, the best Spanish food I've had since moving here is in Terminal 6 at JFK. That place isn't bad.

Tex-Mex: C'mon. Mighty? Shame on you. That's canned beef on a crappy tortilla. Find Lloyd the Taco Truck and eat up! (And that one's cheap.)

Steak: As previously observed, I think by Drain, there really isn't a steak joint that's incredible here, but if you're looking, try Russell's (the only reason to go to the burbs besides visiting my parents, IMO) or EB Green's. Russell's is better. By far. Chop house is, well, meh.

If you wanna get fancy, I went to Sole a couple weeks ago. Twas good. Had a mojito and now I must constantly fight the urge to run for one.

As for steak, Danny Sheehan's in Lockport used to be my Christmas present every year from my Grandparents. Was something I'd die for.

As for sushi, I hate to say I love wegman's but it's the truth.

If you wanna get fancy, I went to Sole a couple weeks ago. Twas good. Had a mojito and now I must constantly fight the urge to run for one.

As for steak, Danny Sheehan's in Lockport used to be my Christmas present every year from my Grandparents. Was something I'd die for.

As for sushi, I hate to say I love wegman's but it's the truth.

I'm at Sole tomorrow. I hope their food is better than it was when the restaurant was in Williamsville, but I also hope the cocktails are as good--they make some mean-ass Brazilian cocktails there.

I'm at Sole tomorrow. I hope their food is better than it was when the restaurant was in Williamsville, but I also hope the cocktails are as good--they make some mean-ass Brazilian cocktails there.

From what I heard, it is. My neighbor's wife used to work at Sole as a manager and she said things were much better now. Wanna go back for guac and seco sours soon.

You are probably only speaking to 7 or 8 folks on this board with several of your choices. I've eaten at several of them and they are good choices though.

I live in a rural community. I miss having alot of good food choices. And fine dining isn't really an option unless I want to fill the gas tank first. Our forays into fancy meals these days involve cooking them at home. Meals out usually are limited to trips into town for shopping or visiting relatives. And we have a teeneage son so the tab for a nice restaurant gets prohibitive.

One place I really liked that I haven't been back to in several years is Shango. Their origianl menu was kind of an Asian-Cajun fusion and I really enjoyed it. My understanding now is that it is more of a straight up cajun/creole restaurant. If the food quality is still good it is a good choice.

Another one is a Thai place on Elmwood. Can't remmeber the name of it but it was somewhere in the vicinity of The Blue Monk. Great food. At least it used to have great food. It's been quite awhile since I've last made it down there.

Another one is a Thai place on Elmwood. Can't remmeber the name of it but it was somewhere in the vicinity of The Blue Monk. Great food. At least it used to have great food. It's been quite awhile since I've last made it down there.

There's the Saigon Cafe across from Pano's. Quite good. First time I've ever eaten tofu.

Blue Fin Asian Bistro is close to the Blue Monk. Heard it's good. Haven't been.

EDIT: Bar with stylish chicks and good snacks during the winter: Left Bank. During the summer? Please let me know.

Hutches, Rue, Left Bank are all classics. Also love Tempo, had a fantastic steak there. Fiama has great food as well, their chop salad is the best i've ever had. My wife and I have always been partial to Friars Table in Cheektowaga. Friend of ours used to bartend at Nektar, very good food and always frequented by Sabres after games.

See weave mentioned Thai, our favorite is Taste of Thai on Hertel. Chkn Pud Thai ordered 4 stars makes me drool just thinking about it.

Hutches, Rue, Left Bank are all classics. Also love Tempo, had a fantastic steak there. Fiama has great food as well, their chop salad is the best i've ever had. My wife and I have always been partial to Friars Table in Cheektowaga. Friend of ours used to bartend at Nektar, very good food and always frequented by Sabres after games.

See weave mentioned Thai, our favorite is Taste of Thai on Hertel. Chkn Pud Thai ordered 4 stars makes me drool just thinking about it.

Tempo is terrific. I haven't eaten at Fiamma (I've had drinks there, but that's it), but I have heard good things. Nektar--good call; as long as it's not filled with idiots, the food and atmosphere are great. I've never been to Friar's, but one of my best friends swears by it. I'll have to get out there with her one night.

Taste of Thai is very good. There's a joint on NF Boulevard that I like a little better. I could find it, but I can't name it.

I'm gonna weigh in on a few:

Buffalo-area wings: Duff's. Anchor Bar has been a swing-and-a-miss every time I've been there.

WNY Pizza - jumps around a lot. As a Northtowns guy I like Pizza Junction and Franco's in North Tonawanda. Always liked Jaco's in the Falls (now on the Island?) and since we lived pretty much next door to them for a couple years I also love Galasi's food, especially their pizza and Buffalo-tossed chicken fingers.

Speaking of the island, I love John's Pizza & Subs. In the Falls I like David's Steak Hoagy.

In Rochester I like Pontillo's - every time the missus goes to see the M-I-L I make sure she brings some back. I think it is the same location that Taro said is hit-or-miss - on Rt 31 in Perinton - but we've never had any bad food from there.

Here in the Parma area good pizza and wings are hard to find, so for wings we end up at Buffalo Wild Wings (side note: went to that new BWW in Niagara Falls, next to the outlet mall on Sunday night. Disappointing. Service was awfully slow on a quiet night in the restaurant and the prices were high.) We usually order pizza from a little place called Fratello's.

Another Cleveland-area favorite: Winking Lizard bar/tavern. Good food (really good burgers) great beer selection, lots of TVs.

Mighty Taco, of course.

Archived