Scoring still an issue

Rico4Hall12

The forward lineup on this team still bothers me. A lot of these players go on long scoring droughts. Causing the Sabres to lose low scoring games they should have won. Forward ranks are still a little too small and soft. A stud center is still needed on this team.

I think most all players tend to be streaky. As long as they all don't go cold at once I'm not bothered.

I don't think our issue is goals, it is (or properly said, it has been) puck possession, especially on zone entries and powerplays. The forwards need to have control of the puck for longer periods of time. It creates more scoring chances and prevents the other team from having scoring chances. Puck possession is where a top line center earns his money. Leino seems to be pretty darned good at hanging onto the puck. If he can do that for us during O zone entries we'll be in good shape. At least during the regualr season.

If Leino works out goals won't be our problem. Grit might be come playoff time though. We'll see.

I think most all players tend to be streaky. As long as they all don't go cold at once I'm not bothered.

I don't think our issue is goals, it is (or properly said, it has been) puck possession, especially on zone entries and powerplays. The forwards need to have control of the puck for longer periods of time. It creates more scoring chances and prevents the other team from having scoring chances. Puck possession is where a top line center earns his money. Leino seems to be pretty darned good at hanging onto the puck. If he can do that for us during O zone entries we'll be in good shape. At least during the regualr season.

If Leino works out goals won't be our problem. Grit might be come playoff time though. We'll see.

Provided they aren't in cap hell by the trade deadline, grit is normally available then. I'd expect to see some added there if not sooner.

It is very easy to massage the stats to call ANY player streaky. Last year, we were ninth in Goals For.

Can anyone run the quick calulations if we swap in last year's productions for Leino/Ehrhoff/Regehr, what rank that would put us at?

It is very easy to massage the stats to call ANY player streaky. Last year, we were ninth in Goals For.

Can anyone run the quick calulations if we swap in last year's productions for Leino/Ehrhoff/Regehr, what rank that would put us at?

If you replace TC, CB, and SM with RR, CE, and VL, you go from 240 goals-for and a 2.93 G/Game to 253 goals-for and 3.08 G/Game. That puts you at 4th in the league.

If you replace TC, CB, and SM with RR, CE, and VL, you go from 240 goals-for and a 2.93 G/Game to 253 goals-for and 3.08 G/Game. That puts you at 4th in the league.

Amazing how the margin is so small, isn't it? A thirteen-goal difference over 82 games moves a team up 5 spots.

EDIT: And I expect the goals against to go down, as well.

It's not JUST for the additional 13 goals. Don't twist it.

It was a response to specific post I found ridiculous.

There would be so many variables that render his calculations meaningless. I was just trying to point that out without being so direct.

How much have the Sabres spent for the additional 13 goals?

As 11 said, can't equate the GA. That right there was worth the money for a team seemingly 4th in the league in scoring. Put together, we're moving up the standings.

It was a response to specific post I found ridiculous.

There would be so many variables that render his calculations meaningless. I was just trying to point that out without being so direct.

Cereal asked for the numbers. Think what you will, but it's as close as we can get to an objective comparison of last year to this year. Ridiculous isn't my post, it's you finding a way to fit it into your agenda.

Cereal asked for the numbers. Think what you will, but it's as close as we can get to an objective comparison of last year to this year. Ridiculous isn't my post, it's you finding a way to fit it into your agenda.

It's nowhere near.

The players added will not play the same roles as the players departed. For example, Erhoff is coming in to play the point on the powerplay. It would be more accurate to if you took his powerplay production and subtracted that of a Pominville and/or Myers from the totals then is would swapping goals with Chris Butler or Morrisonn. There are way too many variables to come close to anything considered "objective."

It's nowhere near.

The players added will not play the same roles as the players departed. For example, Erhoff is coming in to play the point on the powerplay. It would be more accurate to if you took his powerplay production and subtracted that of a Pominville and/or Myers from the totals then is would swapping goals with Chris Butler or Morrisonn. There are way too many variables to come close to anything considered "objective."

It's objective. It may not be valid, reliable, or responsive, but it's objective nonetheless. Feel free to run your model, I was simply giving another poster the numbers as I had the time. BTW your model is no more responsive, as you would have to include the power play opportunities as a covariate, which would most certainly change with our acquisitions.

It's objective. It may not be valid, reliable, or responsive, but it's objective nonetheless. Feel free to run your model, I was simply giving another poster the numbers as I had the time. BTW your model is no more responsive, as you would have to include the power play opportunities as a covariate, which would most certainly change with our acquisitions.

Exactly.

Boom. Case in point.

Your complaint is with the methodology, but instead you verbalize it as a complaint against the Sabres. I doubt you meant it that way, but considering it came from you, that is what everyone will think.

Why not just argue the point directly?

Boom. Case in point.

Your complaint is with the methodology, but instead you verbalize it as a complaint against the Sabres. I doubt you meant it that way, but considering it came from you, that is what everyone will think.

Why not just argue the point directly?

I don't see it as a complaint against the Sabres. But, I do see your point on how people will take it.

I don't see it as a complaint against the Sabres. But, I do see your point on how people will take it.

It's exactly how I took it, just by way of example.

Why can't we all just get aloooooong?

Why can't I freaking sleep?

It's exactly how I took it, just by way of example.

Why can't we all just get aloooooong?

Why can't I freaking sleep?

Not sure about you, but some friggin' bug munched on my ankles at dinner and I woke up scratching the hell out of them. Now I'm wide awake. :censored:

Market value?

Quoted for truth (despite knowing it's not quite what we're on about).

For the record, The scoring should be better because they lost 89 games last season from Roy, Stafford, Leopold and Pominville. They should (if he's not sent away for tasty cap dollars) get more out of Boyes because of developed chemistry and not having his 'groove' jerked back and forth like it was at the end of the season. We add Leino, Regehr and Ehrhoff; I won't debate whether Leino is better than Connolly (again) but I will say that he should be solid. Regehr, while not being offensively minded, is an okay puck mover and his defensive acumen will give whoever (Myers) he ends up playing with (Myers) the ability to (Myers) be more aggressive. Ehrhoff is a stud offensive defenseman that will make the Power Play better.

And yes, I still want a stud center. But it's just year one and I think that we're much better equipped to go further than we did last year.

The forward lineup on this team still bothers me. A lot of these players go on long scoring droughts. Causing the Sabres to lose low scoring games they should have won. Forward ranks are still a little too small and soft. A stud center is still needed on this team.

the forward "grit" complaint is getting old. remind me how "gritty" the western finalist sedin twins were so physical? last time i checked, biting fingers and flopping to the ice like a punter who had his jersey touched is "gritty". this team is a contender as is. who knows what will happen. everybody talks about boston toughness? well yes they are the champs now, but dont forget about the collapse against philly last year. same team team we took to 7 games this year. except now we are better, and philly is worse. we have the best goalie in the east, f tim thomas. miller had the nod in the olympics for a reason. our team is tough on the back end, versatile on the front, and to boot its wrapped up with a WORLD CLASS goaltender. watch the eff out east.

I have a related question...are our current RFA's vulnerable to offer sheets at this time...offer sheets that we would be hard pressed to match since we're against the cap?

It's possible. But, none of them have had the kind of potent season that Vanek did when Lowe did us like he did. Enroth is probably the most tempting target, but at this point everyone has a pair of goaltenders and names like Turco, Laclaire and Emery are still out there if someone wants to upgrade.

Archived