Updated Sabres Roster

Taro T

It APPEARS that the Sabres are done w/ UFA signings at this point having brought in Ehrhoff & Leino, re-signing McCormick, and making the trade for Regehr. No movement on bringing TC back, which I actually find encouraging as it implies that they are still looking for another center and realize that Tim isn't a long term answer.

Darcy is on record as stating that he will look into opportunities to trade for another center if the right opportunity is there. So, I would expect to see another move either in the summer or early in the new season. But until we get there, assuming they re-sign their qualified RFA's the lineup looks something like this currently. Cap hit in () and provided by NHL#s.

Vanek (7.143) - Roy (4) - Stafford (4)

Ennis (0.875) - Leino (4.5) - Boyes (4)

Gerbe (1.433) - Hecht (3.525) - Pominville (5.3)

Kaleta (0.907) - Gaustad (2.3) - McCormick (1.2)

Ehrhoff (4) - Myers (1.3)

Regehr (4.02) - Leopold (3)

Gragnani (?) - Weber (?)

Miller (6.25)

Enroth (?)

Spares: Sekera (?), Adam (0.875)

1 Ways in Ra-cha-cha: Kotalik (3), Morrisonn (2.075)

Dead space: Kennedy (0.167)

If that's the lineup and w/ Enroth at $1MM, Sekera at $1.8MM, Weber at $1MM, and Gragnani @ $0.8MM, that would give a cap hit of $63.45MM which is tighter than the Sabres typically like to operate.

Other than needing a true #1 center, it looks (obviously) like they will be stronger than last year.

A few of us have been talking about expecting to see Ennis & Sekera as part of a package for a top center. If that does happen, the Sabres absolutely will have to move another winger as they won't have the cap room otherwise. As Sekera will almost definitely be the most expensive of the young D-men, I think he's gone in a trade for the top level center. I also think that trade for a top level center will include more prospects than we'd like to see.

It also looks like 1 of Hecht, Boyes, or Pomminstein would get moved or demoted in a cap clearing move if another center is brought in.

My guess is that lineup as currently constituted would probably be good for 5th in the East.

So, what moves do people see getting made from here? And where do you think they'd finish if they are done w/ moves until the trade deadline? (I expect to see 1 more move this summer & then a cap clearing move to go w/ it.)

My guess is that lineup as currently constituted would probably be good for 5th in the East.

Considering what we've subtracted (Connolly, Grier, Niedermayer, Butler, Montador) and what we've added (effectively Roy, Leino, effectively Boyes, Ehrhoff, Regehr), the impact on 5-on-5 defensive play, and what I expect to be somewhat improved special teams play, I agree with your assessment. My expectations hopes are to finish in the 4th-6th spot.

But let's get those RFAs locked in to reasonable deals, especially Mags and Enroth. Especially Enroth.

Gragnani (?) - Weber (?)

Miller (6.25)

Enroth (?)

We know lindy like to juggle the lines, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of this:

Hecht (3.525) - Gaustad (2.3) - Pominville (5.3)

Kaleta (0.907) - McCormick (1.2) - Gerbe (1.433)

That third line has a pretty good defensive side.

We know lindy like to juggle the lines, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of this:

Hecht (3.525) - Gaustad (2.3) - Pominville (5.3)

Kaleta (0.907) - McCormick (1.2) - Gerbe (1.433)

That third line has a pretty good defensive side.

That's definitely possible. I'd guess it depends how much time Lindy wants to let each of these guys on the ice as I'd have some concerns w/ the defensive zone coverage of that 4th line.

That's definitely possible. I'd guess it depends how much time Lindy wants to let each of these guys on the ice as I'd have some concerns w/ the defensive zone coverage of that 4th line.

exactly, I was thinking this is the short bench line-up in a tight game.

Bang-on Taro.

We could still do that lil' Enroth, Sekera, Boyes, Adam, picks for Hanzal and Doan and make that fit under the cap with a modest backup FA goalie.

Then I would say you may have yourself a cup contender.

That would add the grit you've been looking for. It wouldn't give them the #1 center I'm looking for, but I'm not positive they'd need it.

It APPEARS that the Sabres are done w/ UFA signings at this point having brought in Ehrhoff & Leino, re-signing McCormick, and making the trade for Regehr. No movement on bringing TC back, which I actually find encouraging as it implies that they are still looking for another center and realize that Tim isn't a long term answer.

Darcy is on record as stating that he will look into opportunities to trade for another center if the right opportunity is there. So, I would expect to see another move either in the summer or early in the new season. But until we get there, assuming they re-sign their qualified RFA's the lineup looks something like this currently. Cap hit in () and provided by NHL#s.

Gragnani (?) - Weber (?)

Miller (6.25)

Enroth (?)

If that's the lineup and w/ Enroth at $1MM, Sekera at $1.8MM, Weber at $1MM, and Gragnani @ $0.8MM, that would give a cap hit of $63.45MM which is tighter than the Sabres typically like to operate.

Other than needing a true #1 center, it looks (obviously) like they will be stronger than last year.

A few of us have been talking about expecting to see Ennis & Sekera as part of a package for a top center. If that does happen, the Sabres absolutely will have to move another winger as they won't have the cap room otherwise. As Sekera will almost definitely be the most expensive of the young D-men, I think he's gone in a trade for the top level center. I also think that trade for a top level center will include more prospects than we'd like to see.

It also looks like 1 of Hecht, Boyes, or Pomminstein would get moved or demoted in a cap clearing move if another center is brought in.

So, what moves do people see getting made from here? And where do you think they'd finish if they are done w/ moves until the trade deadline? (I expect to see 1 more move this summer & then a cap clearing move to go w/ it.)

Too early to say. The Sabres have to cut salary to get under the cap. I expect more movement before the season starts. Somebody has got to go.

Too early to say. The Sabres have to cut salary to get under the cap. I expect more movement before the season starts. Somebody has got to go.

If the RFA's come in at ~ what I expect them to, then the only moves that have to get made to get under the cap are to send Morrisonn & Kotalik to Ra-cha-cha. The cap's $64.3 & they'd be at $63.45 w/ 2 spares. Tighter than they'd like, but doable.

Wouldn't suprise me if they are done. At most I see a young D-man and young winger get moved for a 3rd line center, and I think it is unlikely at this point.

My gut tells me the opening day lineup is pretty much as you;ve posted.

If the RFA's come in at ~ what I expect them to, then the only moves that have to get made to get under the cap are to send Morrisonn & Kotalik to Ra-cha-cha. The cap's $64.3 & they'd be at $63.45 w/ 2 spares. Tighter than they'd like, but doable.

I think Morrisonn will actually get traded. He's not that worthless as a player, just a subpar and injury filled year. And, he's decent at his job as a defensive defenseman. I fully expect him to get traded for a 4th round pick to a team that needs a bit more money to hit the salary cap floor. The 4th round pick as you might expect is to get back what they lost in the Ehrhoff deal.

I think you are right on Kotalik and he's sent to Rochester. However, I think the Sabres still make a trade. My thought is that they are going to trade Sekera, Boyes, some prospects, and a high round pick for a a top line centerman and a cheap NHL 7th defenseman that would be sub $1 million in salary. An example might be like an Oscar Bartulis from Philadelphia (not necessarily him, but someone like him). The very likely trade I could see happen might be for Spezza where they send Sekera, Boyes, one of the prospects and a high round pick for Spezza and Brian Lee or Matt Carkner and a 2nd round pick. I could definitely see that happen as Sekera would be an upgrade over the defenseman sent from Ottawa.

I just don't think the Sabres are done yet. I think they are going to ship out some salary and bring in a top line Center and push Kotalik to Rochester. Morrisonn will get traded though. I don't think he's a Rochester guy, and Darcy wants that 4th round pick back, and he'll get it in a Morrisonn trade.

I think we're done with big splashes, but I agree that there will probably be a few pieces rearranged.

I'm getting a tad excited to see Ennis-Leino-Boyes. I have a sneaking suspicion that Leino was targeted as someone who may have chemistry with Boyes. He was the play maker on the SH-DB-VL line in PHY, and if they can mesh, maybe Brad returns to his 40 goal days when he played with Kariya and Tkachuk.

I'm happy with the moves they've made so far, especially if Leino can play center effectively. I'm a little concerned that Myers is our only right handed defenseman, but it seems like we've got the ability to pair veterans with younger guys as well as puck movers with stay at home types. I'd go with something like:

Regehr Myers

Ehrhoff Weber

Gragnani Leopold

Sekera

Looking at the extras, I get the feeling that at many points in the year, we won't carry a spare forward. Being back with Rochester really helps there. They call up a forward when there are injuries or a prolonged road trip.

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if they'd do that myself. IIRC, MAGs has played forward before, so if all are healthy he could fill in on the 4th line and Reggie slide into his slot. And then Adam can get a regular shift down on the farm.

I'm happy with the moves they've made so far, especially if Leino can play center effectively. I'm a little concerned that Myers is our only right handed defenseman, but it seems like we've got the ability to pair veterans with younger guys as well as puck movers with stay at home types. I'd go with something like:

Regehr Myers

Ehrhoff Weber

Gragnani Leopold

Sekera

That looks pretty good.

I think Morrisonn will actually get traded. He's not that worthless as a player, just a subpar and injury filled year. And, he's decent at his job as a defensive defenseman. I fully expect him to get traded for a 4th round pick to a team that needs a bit more money to hit the salary cap floor. The 4th round pick as you might expect is to get back what they lost in the Ehrhoff deal.

I think you are right on Kotalik and he's sent to Rochester. However, I think the Sabres still make a trade. My thought is that they are going to trade Sekera, Boyes, some prospects, and a high round pick for a a top line centerman and a cheap NHL 7th defenseman that would be sub $1 million in salary. An example might be like an Oscar Bartulis from Philadelphia (not necessarily him, but someone like him). The very likely trade I could see happen might be for Spezza where they send Sekera, Boyes, one of the prospects and a high round pick for Spezza and Brian Lee or Matt Carkner and a 2nd round pick. I could definitely see that happen as Sekera would be an upgrade over the defenseman sent from Ottawa.

I just don't think the Sabres are done yet. I think they are going to ship out some salary and bring in a top line Center and push Kotalik to Rochester. Morrisonn will get traded though. I don't think he's a Rochester guy, and Darcy wants that 4th round pick back, and he'll get it in a Morrisonn trade.

I'd agree w/ you that Morrisonn might still be useful at the NHL level. But I don't see anybody giving up a 4th rounder for him, maybe a 7th rounder, but not a 4th.

I think Morrisonn has more value to the Sabres as an 8th D-man than a 7th round pick would have. The only reason that I'd expect to see the Sabres trade Morrisonn rather than bury him in Ra-cha-cha is because TP could see more value in making a deal that hurts the team but lets a player stay in the NHL than having some depth on the blueline. Showing players that the Sabres will try to find a way to show respect to players even when they no longer fit in the daily plans (much like w/ Rivet) is probably part of the ethos of 'hockey heaven.'

But if you are correct and they can get a 4th for him, I'd suggest they go for the trade and would expect he'd be gone.

I'd agree w/ you that Morrisonn might still be useful at the NHL level. But I don't see anybody giving up a 4th rounder for him, maybe a 7th rounder, but not a 4th.

I think Morrisonn has more value to the Sabres as an 8th D-man than a 7th round pick would have. The only reason that I'd expect to see the Sabres trade Morrisonn rather than bury him in Ra-cha-cha is because TP could see more value in making a deal that hurts the team but lets a player stay in the NHL than having some depth on the blueline. Showing players that the Sabres will try to find a way to show respect to players even when they no longer fit in the daily plans (much like w/ Rivet) is probably part of the ethos of 'hockey heaven.'

But if you are correct and they can get a 4th for him, I'd suggest they go for the trade and would expect he'd be gone.

If Kotalik and Dominic Moore can each fetch a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline, I don't see why Morrisonn couldn't fetch a 4th round pick. If you look at the trades Darcy has often done in the past like the Bernier deal, the Rivet deal, Lydman trade, they often involve 2nd and 3rd round picks. I don't think Morrisonn fetches that much, but I don't think he's that much of a scrub to only fetch a 7th rounder. I think he could get a 4th round pick.

I think we as Sabres fans tend to think our players are worse than they actually are compared to the rest of the NHL because we don't watch a ton of games of other teams, mostly Sabres games. I think we underestimate sometimes the quality of the Sabres own players and their relative value in the NHL marketplace.

Either way, we'll see. I think Morrisonn will get traded before he has to clear waivers. The high cap floor will force a team to take on his salary just to hit the floor, and he's not that worthless to where he will freely pass through waivers. That's my opinion, at least.

If Kotalik and Dominic Moore can each fetch a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline, I don't see why Morrisonn couldn't fetch a 4th round pick. If you look at the trades Darcy has often done in the past like the Bernier deal, the Rivet deal, Lydman trade, they often involve 2nd and 3rd round picks. I don't think Morrisonn fetches that much, but I don't think he's that much of a scrub to only fetch a 7th rounder. I think he could get a 4th round pick.

I think we as Sabres fans tend to think our players are worse than they actually are compared to the rest of the NHL because we don't watch a ton of games of other teams, mostly Sabres games. I think we underestimate sometimes the quality of the Sabres own players and their relative value in the NHL marketplace.

Either way, we'll see. I think Morrisonn will get traded before he has to clear waivers. The high cap floor will force a team to take on his salary just to hit the floor, and he's not that worthless to where he will freely pass through waivers. That's my opinion, at least.

Not too sure about you but I watch a whole lot more hockey,Eastern and Western, than just Sabres games. It may be hard out east to watch the western games because of the time but out here its easy to fit in games from everywhere. I guess you could pvr games or maybe you're just not interested in seeing non sabres games. I personally try to see as many as I can.

Not too sure about you but I watch a whole lot more hockey,Eastern and Western, than just Sabres games. It may be hard out east to watch the western games because of the time but out here its easy to fit in games from everywhere. I guess you could pvr games or maybe you're just not interested in seeing non sabres games. I personally try to see as many as I can.

I actually see a bunch of games. Obviously, I watch more Sabres games than other teams, but I have NHL Center Ice, and I watch a ton of games out West. That's why I'm saying, I think Morrisonn is worth more than a 7th round scrub pick. He has value and someone will pay up to a 4th round pick for him, I believe. I could be wrong, but I think he has legitimate value in the NHL for a team that's looking for defenseman depth and needs to spend to the Cap Floor.

I actually see a bunch of games. Obviously, I watch more Sabres games than other teams, but I have NHL Center Ice, and I watch a ton of games out West. That's why I'm saying, I think Morrisonn is worth more than a 7th round scrub pick. He has value and someone will pay up to a 4th round pick for him, I believe. I could be wrong, but I think he has legitimate value in the NHL for a team that's looking for defenseman depth and needs to spend to the Cap Floor.

I agree

I hope they end up going after a #1 center because I think it's a possibility. As for the roster now...

Forwards

Thomas Vanek - Derek Roy - Drew Stafford

Tyler Ennis - Ville Leino - Jason Pominville

Brad Boyes - Jochen Hecht - Nathan Gerbe

Cody McCormack - Paul Gaustad - Pat Kaleta

Depth Forwards

Ales Kotalik (ROC)

Luke Adam (ROC)

Zach Kassian (ROC)

Nick Foligno (ROC)

Defenders

Robin Regehr - Tyler Myers

Christian Ehrhoff - Marc-Andre Gragnani

Jordan Leopold - Andrej Sekera

Depth Defenders

Mike Weber (Healthy Scratch)

Shaonne Morrisonn (ROC/Trade)

TJ Brennan (ROC)

Mark Pysyk (ROC)

Pominville and Boyes may be switchable...

I'm also thinking there's a possibility of moving Boyes and Kotalik being on the third line. It's not something I want, it's just something that gives us a couple extra bucks to work with.

Gragnani (?) - Weber (?)

Miller (6.25)

Enroth (?)

Good post, as always, and based on DR's words and demeanor at the presser I don't think he's planning to push for another major move this summer. I do think though that if a situation bubbles up (e.g. Ottawa decides to trade Spezza), DR will get into the mix.

As far as your lineups, they look pretty good, but I'd guess Leino starts with Vanek and Stafford and Roy starts with Ennis and Boyes. That 3rd line is well overpaid but nevertheless potentially pretty good.

I also think Sekera starts over MAG.

Finally, I think the Sabres are top-3 in the EC.

Bang-on Taro.

We could still do that lil' Enroth, Sekera, Boyes, Adam, picks for Hanzal and Doan and make that fit under the cap with a modest backup FA goalie.

Then I would say you may have yourself a cup contender.

Why would Phoenix trade Doan?

I agree with all of this.

Finally, I think the Sabres are top-3 in the EC.

Why would Phoenix trade Doan?

They would trade him because you offer them enough!

Top 3? I think what the Sabres have done is build a poor-man's Detroit or Vancouver, overnight. You have a shot to compete with anyone over a 7 game series, but you still need to get lucky to win 4 in a row. There are still 6 or 7 teams out there that don't feel they need to get lucky. They just go out and say they are going to do it. Aren't there yet.

They would trade him because you offer them enough!

Top 3? I think what the Sabres have done is build a poor-man's Detroit or Vancouver, overnight. You have a shot to compete with anyone over a 7 game series, but you still need to get lucky to win 4 in a row. There are still 6 or 7 teams out there that don't feel they need to get lucky. They just go out and say they are going to do it. Aren't there yet.

That's right, we're not there yet. And we have yet to see if the new chemistry gels on this team. (I think Philly is going to have big concerns over that too.)

We're missing the big scorer...the Parise-type player that puts it in the net (winger). We're also missing an excellent setup guy Spezza-type (center). If we can get guys similar to that, or exactly those guys, we're a Cup contender. Currently I would trade anyone for except for Ennis, Myers, Miller, and Roy.

If we can get those two pieces to fit within a year, we're golden. Otherwise we'll have to wait for Adam, et. al. to develop, which could take years.

Archived