Updated Sabres Roster

Taro T

That's right, we're not there yet. And we have yet to see if the new chemistry gels on this team. (I think Philly is going to have big concerns over that too.)

We're missing the big scorer...the Parise-type player that puts it in the net (winger). We're also missing an excellent setup guy Spezza-type (center). If we can get guys similar to that, or exactly those guys, we're a Cup contender. Currently I would trade anyone for except for Ennis, Myers, Miller, and Roy.

If we can get those two pieces to fit within a year, we're golden. Otherwise we'll have to wait for Adam, et. al. to develop, which could take years.

Right now they are at $19 mil available for next off-season with only 11 players under contract for next season. That is a less than enviable cap position to be in considering both Myers and Ennis will be due new contracts.

There best bet to acquire centers may just be rent-a-players at the deadline. Even to do that they will need to move contracts out. The idea of Morrisonn and Kotalik to Rochester is probably their best options to free up space.

Capgeek has the Sabres just under the Cap but I thought Regier said they were into their 10% allowance.

They would trade him because you offer them enough!

Top 3? I think what the Sabres have done is build a poor-man's Detroit or Vancouver, overnight. You have a shot to compete with anyone over a 7 game series, but you still need to get lucky to win 4 in a row. There are still 6 or 7 teams out there that don't feel they need to get lucky. They just go out and say they are going to do it. Aren't there yet.

The Sabres at the very least should be better defensively and should be able to improve on their 16th ranked gaa of 2.78. How that translates into wins and loses will be the question.

I'd love to see a trade as the final move of PHASE ONE toward winning multiple Cups. My expectation is not winning a Cup after one draft and free agency cycle. But the longer-term contracts have powerful meaning behind them and are a complete departure from the "rent-a-player" perception created when you sign a player to three years Max.

Now the team seems to be grabbing guys and saying, "We're putting guys on the roster who we believe will be the group to win for years to come. A player's effort and loyalty gets loyalty and respect in return." Holy Schneikies! What a change!

Right now they are at $19 mil available for next off-season with only 11 players under contract for next season. That is a less than enviable cap position to be in considering both Myers and Ennis will be due new contracts.

There best bet to acquire centers may just be rent-a-players at the deadline. Even to do that they will need to move contracts out. The idea of Morrisonn and Kotalik to Rochester is probably their best options to free up space.

Capgeek has the Sabres just under the Cap but I thought Regier said they were into their 10% allowance.

including the qualifying offers for the RFAs. Cap Geek does not include these.

I noticed that as well. I can only assume that Darcy is including the Restricted Free Agents and the Qualifying Offers putting them over the Salary Cap and knowing full well they will be over the cap for sure when you consider the RFAs. That's all I could come up with for his explanation.

I think the Sabres will make a trade or two to shed some salary.

The Sabres at the very least should be better defensively and should be able to improve on their 16th ranked gaa of 2.78. How that translates into wins and loses will be the question.

Of the 39 losses, 23 were one goal games. Let's assume the significantly better Defense let's us win 30% of those games, that would translate into 7 wins and adjusting for games that we got a point for the OT loss already, probably about 10 more points. So we'd finish the regular season with about 106 points which was good for the 4 seed this year.

This argument assumes the offense will be at least as good as last year. That said, my belief is that the improved defensive zone clearing ability, return of Roy, and ability for Boyes and Leino to adjust into the system will lead our scoring to be higher than last year.

When the new line-up is looked at under this lens, we have a shot at competing with Boston (especially if they get the traditional hangover) for the division and thus a top seed into the playoffs. From there I don't believe it is a difficult argument to take the position that as much as our defense has improved we will likely (better than 50% chance) win a series and be maybe just shy of a coin toss to make the ECF. The three guys we added all have good playoff records for their specific roles (and have all been to the SCF)

That said, what am I missing? (seriously looking for critique)

That said, what am I missing? (seriously looking for critique)

1. As for your point that the improved "D" should be good for 10-ish pts, as you pointed out yourself, it only works that way if the goals for are maintained as well. You are assuming that the new editions gel well and contribute to an improved team. That certainly isn't a given. Last July noone thought Morissonn was going to be a downgrade, he was on Washington's 1st pairing fer cryin' out loud. I suspect his game just doesn't mesh well with how Lindy runs his "D". On paper it seems we've improved our defence and Leino *should* be an improvement in the overall talent. We'll see, but I'm somewhat optimistic.

2. The forward group, especially the top 6 is still severely lacking in grit and determination. And the league seems to me to be reverting back to a grittier game. This team still looks like the kind of team that does well on the scoresheet and stats columns but fades in the pressure games. Regehr is a help here but we need forwards with an angrier mentality.

1. As for your point that the improved "D" should be good for 10-ish pts, as you pointed out yourself, it only works that way if the goals for are maintained as well. You are assuming that the new editions gel well and contribute to an improved team. That certainly isn't a given. Last July noone thought Morissonn was going to be a downgrade, he was on Washington's 1st pairing fer cryin' out loud. I suspect his game just doesn't mesh well with how Lindy runs his "D". On paper it seems we've improved our defence and Leino *should* be an improvement in the overall talent. We'll see, but I'm somewhat optimistic.

2. The forward group, especially the top 6 is still severely lacking in grit and determination. And the league seems to me to be reverting back to a grittier game. This team still looks like the kind of team that does well on the scoresheet and stats columns but fades in the pressure games. Regehr is a help here but we need forwards with an angrier mentality.

This was exactly what i was looking for. The downside risk to my theory is that (a) the team doean't gel and (b) the team gets pushed around too much by the tougher teams. So if we gel and play with grit and toughness (and I think a lot of that can come from winning and then simply expecting to win, al a 06-07) we're set, if either of those things fail, we're maybe just slightly better than we have been the past 2 years.

My concern exactly - where are the forwards that will get dirty in the corners ? Ennis, Boyes, Vanek, Hecht, Roy ? None of these guys possess the angry mentality of an Erik Cole, Todd Bertuzzi, Ryan Malone, etc. And outside of Leino, which of our current

forwards is a big time player in pressure games ?

Well, they need to sign at least two of those (#1 and one defenseman) in order to get a full roster (with 6 defenseman; they'll probably carry another.) Their qualifying offers are probably more than $1.3M, so it's not a stretch to say that they are over the cap.

1. I generally agree but must point out that while Morrisonn might have played with Green now and again last year, he was, I believe, #5 or #6 in ice time among Caps defensemen in the playoffs last year.

2. I completely agree and IMHO this is by far the biggest problem with the team. The top 6 wasn't close to good enough in the playoffs for 2 years in a row and it's hard to see Leino solving that problem by himself. now, it could get solved via improvement from guys like stafford, Ennis and Gerbe but I hate to rely on that.

feckin' A, taro -- well done.

i like this roster, and i think i can grow to love it.

i don't know whether they'd move 2 rostered players for another center -- i'm thinking one of the 3 young d-men and a prospect/pick could go for/to make room for a role-playing center.

one thing on boyes, that guy's game is going to benefit greatly from two things: (1) a full pre-season getting conditioned as lindy's system requires (he wasn't in buffalo shape when he came over at the deadline, and never really got there) and (2) contract year.

My concern exactly - where are the forwards that will get dirty in the corners ? Ennis, Boyes, Vanek, Hecht, Roy ? None of these guys possess the angry mentality of an Erik Cole, Todd Bertuzzi, Ryan Malone, etc. And outside of Leino, which of our current

forwards is a big time player in pressure games ?

Kaleta, McCormick, Gaustad, Gerbe.... basically all the forwards you didn't mention.

We know lindy like to juggle the lines, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of this:

Hecht (3.525) - Gaustad (2.3) - Pominville (5.3)

Kaleta (0.907) - McCormick (1.2) - Gerbe (1.433)

That third line has a pretty good defensive side.

I really hope we aren't going to bury Gerbe on the fourth line. He may have been our best player over the last 20 regular season games this past year. He was also definitely one of our team leaders on the ice during that same stretch. Seems like a tremendous waste to leave him with Kaleta and McCormick.

The Sabres still need to make a trade. They've got too many wingers and too many defensemen. MAG was too awesome in the playoffs to sit and having Sekera as a 7th defenseman is a waste of talent. Sekera is a good player (29 points, +11 in 2010-2011) that other teams would want. Are we really going to just keep him on the bench until his trade value is minimal? They could trade him now for a nice prospect or a pick (which they could trade again at the trade deadline) and then sign a cheap veteran FA who would be ideal for a 7th defenseman role.

Pegula has done everything he can with his money. Now it's time for Regier to use his imagination.

Kaleta, McCormick, Gaustad, Gerbe.... basically all the forwards you didn't mention.

Are not in the top 6, or the top 9 for that matter. And the only player in the group you mention that gets alot if icetime is Goose. The featured players that are going to be on the ice in close game pressure situations are all players with rather soft personalities. The 4th line is going to be glued to the bench in a close game late during the playoffs. We need one or two forwards that have an edge and play whatever it takes hockey in the top 6.

Sure, all 3rd and 4th liners ... who exhibits any toughness on the 1st two lines ? Pommers ?

Roy ? Boyes ? Ennis ? Vanek ? I might concede that Stafford can play a little rough in the

corners, but other than that ...

IMO, Kaleta might not even make the starting roster should there be any more roster

moves. And at 5'5", what physical defenseman takes the Gerb seriously ? I'll concede

Gaustad/McCormick are gritty enough, but how much ice time do they get ?

also, fwiw, i like the addition of leino. a lot.

Philly's strength was their depth of scoring

Giroux 76

Briere 68

Carter 66

Richards 66

Leino 53

hartnel 49

Versteeg 46

all had more than 45 points.

They are now missing four of those players.

Contrary to the vast perception that our team isn't offensive enough, i think we possess a very potent group of forwards. I always thought our biggest problem was getting our guys to shoot.

Leino and Erhoff are coming from very offensive minded systems, and something tells me they have more active trigger fingers than most of our boys. Hopefully if that's true, it'll be contagious.

Philly is clearly retooling their system, and while they may be even tougher to bring down next year, they won't be the offensive juggarnaut they have been the past couple of years.

Leino may very well have benefited from the offense first system he was playing in, but i feel like he can continue to grow in Buffalo.

As far as your lineups, they look pretty good, but I'd guess Leino starts with Vanek and Stafford and Roy starts with Ennis and Boyes. That 3rd line is well overpaid but nevertheless potentially pretty good.

I also think Sekera starts over MAG.

Finally, I think the Sabres are top-3 in the EC.

It could work out that way up front, but the reason I went w/ what I did is Leino worked real well last year on Briere's line and Ennis is the closest in style to Briere amongst the Sabres forwards. Boyes seems to like to hang out near the net (though not even a fraction as violently nor as closely as Hartnell does) as well. So it seemed to me that combination would have the least 'learning curve' for Leino.

And though I REALLY don't like Roy and Vanek on the same line, I think Lindy will find reuniting the Voodoo Chiles (SRV) irresistable.

Sekera could start over Gragnani but 1 of them will be the odd man out if this is the roster on opening day and when things aren't going well, I'd expect 1 of them will be the 1st D-man pulled from the lineup.

And I went w/ Ehrhoff - Myers as a pairing instead of Regehr - Myers because those 2 could remain a pairing on both the pp and pk and build their chemistry throughout the year. I'd like to see that pair together for a long time. It's been written here, and I haven't had a chance to confirm, that Regehr was paired w/ Leopold in Calgary's finals run. Might as well bring that pairing back together.

My primary pk pairing would be Regehr and Weber and the 2ndary pp pairing would be Leopold and the young guy that's in the lineup. The great thing about having Ehrhoff in the lineup along w/ the rest of the offensive D-men is the Sabres won't NEED to have a forward at the point, they can but don't have to do it. That should cut the shorties against in 1/2 at minimum.

Are not in the top 6, or the top 9 for that matter. And the only player in the group you mention that gets alot if icetime is Goose. The featured players that are going to be on the ice in close game pressure situations are all players with rather soft personalities. The 4th line is going to be glued to the bench in a close game late during the playoffs. We need one or two forwards that have an edge and play whatever it takes hockey in the top 6.

I am showing my hockey-knowledge youth once again ... but I'm curious: I thought most hockey teams with a "system" like ours typically built their lines this way intentionally. Lines 1 and 2 are fast skating skill lines and lines 3 and 4 are grinders / bruisers. At least that's how I've always seen the Sabres built.

I am showing my hockey-knowledge youth once again ... but I'm curious: I thought most hockey teams with a "system" like ours typically built their lines this way intentionally. Lines 1 and 2 are fast skating skill lines and lines 3 and 4 are grinders / bruisers. At least that's how I've always seen the Sabres built.

Getzlaf, Iginla, Kesler, Cole, Malone, Bobby Ryan, Eric Staal, Backes ... all 1st/2nd line players with skill and an edge to their play.

The lines are usually set up as 1-2 skill and 3-4 grinders because there is only enough talent on most teams for 2 skill lines. And skilled players with grit are harder to find but the best teams often find and keep them (think Lucic for Boston, Hartnell for Philly, etc) for at least one spot in their top lines.

I think we have the makings of a imporved team. My concern right now is with whether the team can grind out a playoff run. I think it is very questionable right now. I don;t see our current likely top 9 playing with the physical intensity that we saw exhibited in the Van-Bos series.

Archived