Vanek for Captain

beerme1

I like Vanek but I don't think I would make him captain. There is just something missing there. I can't pinpoint it, he is soft, maybe I feel a captain needs a rugged edge/side to him. Like the need to put someone on the opposing team, that is trying to get porky, in their place. Vanek just wouldn't do that.

Of this current group, Gaustad would get my vote, but i'm not enamored with the current choices for captain.

How about getting Iginla from the Flames and making him captain. I would be in favor of that.

I'm not at all fond of Vanek-as-captain either. It's not that he's soft, but he's not a whatever it takes kind of player. In the Flyers series Vanek played well I thought and played tough, but who did we mention that really turned up the passion and got a little ugly? There were 3 or 4 of them. Vanek wasn't one of them. He's a solid "A". But he's not "C" material on a winning team IMO.

If we limit the discussion to current roster players I think Gaustad is the best fit. Myers, Gerbe, and Weber have "C" potential in the future IMO.

Vanek does not want to be captain. :wallbash: He wants to score 50 ,reach 100pts and go deep into the playoffs.

FYI the team denied requests by Vanek and Hecht tp play in the Worlds for their respective countries.

Vanek does not want to be captain. :wallbash: He wants to score 50 ,reach 100pts and go deep into the playoffs.

FYI the team denied requests by Vanek and Hecht tp play in the Worlds for their respective countries.

link?

Last I read they're going.

Are those of you who have been floating Vaneks name for Captain convinced now that it would be a mistake? A colossal failure?

An umitigated disaster?

I am not floating anyones name at this moment but let there be no doubt he is not the guy. No doubt. So stop it if you haven't yet.

You started a topic on a public forum to tell everyone their wrong? LMAO. Wow. Nice dude.

Back to Vanek I think it'll give him a kick, he is, skills wise, the leader of this team. He should be the leading scorer of this team, and by all accounts he improved once he was given an 'A' so why not try? I can't remember a good, clear leader of this team since Drury anyway.

IF thats true it makes the Sabres loook like a craphole of an organization because I know that if I was a Hockey player and and said "Hey ppl can I go play for my home country in the worlds" and they said "Heeeeeellllllll nooo!" I would be like "you can trade me now cause I am never showing up for you again you pricks"

If you have a link I would love to see that or somewhere where it is reported, but the last I read they were playing... Since I have read a lot of stuff that counters that I am gonna say that its not true.

Vanek, as captain is eh. If I was on a team and thought I would be a good captain and was asked the response is "Yes given the opportunity I would love to lead this team." I think someone said it best during a playoff game, we have a lot of guys willing to pass the puck in key moments but we needs guys who want to be there hero.

IF thats true it makes the Sabres loook like a craphole of an organization because I know that if I was a Hockey player and and said "Hey ppl can I go play for my home country in the worlds" and they said "Heeeeeellllllll nooo!" I would be like "you can trade me now cause I am never showing up for you again you pricks"

If you have a link I would love to see that or somewhere where it is reported, but the last I read they were playing... Since I have read a lot of stuff that counters that I am gonna say that its not true.

Vanek, as captain is eh. If I was on a team and thought I would be a good captain and was asked the response is "Yes given the opportunity I would love to lead this team." I think someone said it best during a playoff game, we have a lot of guys willing to pass the puck in key moments but we needs guys who want to be there hero.

I'm too lazy to look up a link but I heard on the way home from work last night on WGR that Vanek said in his personal blog that he's not playing in the worlds. Admitted that he's been playing the last few months with a serious finger injury. Again, I just don't have time to get the link but I definelty heard that.

I'm too lazy to look up a link but I heard on the way home from work last night on WGR that Vanek said in his personal blog that he's not playing in the worlds. Admitted that he's been playing the last few months with a serious finger injury. Again, I just don't have time to get the link but I definelty heard that.

There ya go...

April 28th 2011

I’m really sorry to ruin all the high hopes a lot of fans – and me too – had, but the Sabres do not allow me to participate in the world championships in Slovakia. I’ve been nursing a finger injury now for months and the doctors in Buffalo think it’s better to let it rest and completely heal now instead of risking to re-injure the finger again. The injury was never so bad that I couldn’t play through it, but it was a bit distressing, especially in the beginning. When I injured the finger I had to learn a new grip on the stick otherwise the pain when I shot the puck was just too great. That was also the reason why I had to decline the invitation to take part in the All-Star game back in January. When I told everybody that I would help the national team I really didn’t think that the finger would be any reason not to go, because I have really gotten used to it and really didn’t think too much about it. Now there’s nothing left for me but to wish Thommy Koch, Oliver Setzinger and the rest of the team all the best. I know you can do it without me!

Well, it really sucks that I cannot play. But I can understand the doctors. Because I had to play through the injury, the finger is still swollen. The doctors aren’t even sure if the finger will ever be hundert percent again. At the end of the day the club has invested a lot of money in me and I still have 3 years on my contract in Buffalo. They don’t want to take that risk. You really shouldn't mess around with a lacerated tendon.

Just a few words about the playoffs. It’s really frustrating. We missed a great chance in game 6 at home. Just a few minutes and we would be preparing for Washington now. But I really don’t want to talk too much about it, it’s just hurting too much. Let’s talk about that in a week or two.

Lacerated tendon since before the All Star break. Doctors say let it heal. I don't see it as they're being jerks but would rather see it heal for his sake.

There ya go...

Lacerated tendon since before the All Star break. Doctors say let it heal. I don't see it as they're being jerks but would rather see it heal for his sake.

Thanks Chz, you've obviously got more motivation this morning than I.

ahhhh, and thanks chz for the article. See that makes a little more sense and now I believe it. Its just the skeptical nature of the internet. If hes injured than he should sit out and heal fully.

There ya go...

Playing through the pain. Had to learn a new grip. People still think the man is soft? Come on - that's captain material.

There ya go...

Vanek is soft! Vanek doesn't care! Vanek doesn't come through in big games!!1! <_< <_< <_<

The guy had a lacerated tendon that made him miss the ASG and change the way he holds the stick and shoots the puck, but was still our best player in the second half of the season and had a phenomenal playoffs where he was our best player after Miller.

Vanek is soft! Vanek doesn't care! Vanek doesn't come through in big games!!1! <_< <_< <_<

The guy had a lacerated tendon that made him miss the ASG and change the way he holds the stick and shoots the puck, but was still our best player in the second half of the season and had a phenomenal playoffs where he was our best player after Miller.

But I don't think he'll make a good captain. Nevermind my reasons, everyone should know them.

Playing through the pain. Had to learn a new grip. People still think the man is soft? Come on - that's captain material.

there is a lot more to being captain material than playing through injury. See Rivet, Craig for details. :blush:

there is a lot more to being captain material than playing through injury. See Rivet, Craig for details. :blush:

Playing through injury and being our best player during that time is impressive.

Vanek was our best player in the regular season.

I'm on the fence right now, leaning toward giving him a C. I like Vanek; I'll say that outright. He's one of the few players always available for the press, always taking ownership of his, and the team's, play publicly, for better or worse.

All the insight any of us has is what we see in the videos, read in the press, see on the ice, and "hear" from the other players. Grier and Gaustad are regularly cited as "leaders", but neither come off any stronger than Vanek does in interviews. All of them take a pounding on the ice. All of them play through injury. All of them disappear from time to time.

Vanek is the most skilled, and, has made the most strides in his game over the past couple of seasons (IMHO). I've seen Vanek stick up for Miller. I've seen him skirt with confrontations in the Philly series.

I don't have a problem with a person like that getting the C. Depends on the relationship he has with the rest of the team, and what goes on in the locker room. None of us know how the latter two come into play.

If Vanek doesn't get a C, I like Gerbe for captain. I don't care if he's a rookie, that boy is all heart.

Are those of you who have been floating Vaneks name for Captain convinced now that it would be a mistake? A colossal failure?

An umitigated disaster?

I am not floating anyones name at this moment but let there be no doubt he is not the guy. No doubt. So stop it if you haven't yet.

I bet there are three guys in that Sabres locker room who secretly would LOVE to wear the "C", and they're all rookies. The rest of those zombies look at the "C" patch like some burning hot potato.

Frankly, with this energy-sucking coaching staff we have here, and HSBC arena full of Chet and Muffy and their brie-eating kids sitting there like mute lumps all game long, I could care less if we go the next three full seasons without a Captain. It would be fitting.

Gerbe deserves to see an occasional A at the least next season.

Definitely. I'd be OK with him getting a permanent A next season but I think they're going to stick with the alternates they already have (Roy, Hecht, Gaustad, Pominville) if they make Vanek captain.

Definitely. I'd be OK with him getting a permanent A next season but I think they're going to stick with the alternates they already have (Roy, Hecht, Gaustad, Pominville) if they make Vanek captain.

Though Pominville will probably miss the start of the season and I'm always hoping they trade Hecht - at least take off the A.

On that front - Paul Hamilton was just on WGR - last caller dissed Vanek. Hamilton said that Vanek never takes a shift off. While he didn't say that Vanek should be captain - he did say he would make a good captain.

Also - he mentioned how Lindy has done a poor job with picking captains and he once again mentioned how if Lindy had his way that Hecht would be captain.

Playing through injury and being our best player during that time is impressive.

Vanek was our best player in the regular season.

It is impressive. It also doesn't make for leadership. I really don't see anything he does on the ice or on the bench that looks like leadership. Why does being the best player on the team mean he's cut out to be a good leader?

Looking over the list of captains in the NHL, most teams have one of their top talents wearing the "C". But most of those players are either outright stars or are also grit and determination guys. I'm not sure Vanek is an outright star and if Vanek had the determination of Getzlaf or Richards, or heck, even Shane Doan I could see giving him the captaincy. But I don't see that in his game really. It doesn't make him any less tough or less talented. It just makes him less of a leader. He can still be the best player on the team and not be a great leader.

It is impressive. It also doesn't make for leadership. I really don't see anything he does on the ice or on the bench that looks like leadership. Why does being the best player on the team mean he's cut out to be a good leader?

Looking over the list of captains in the NHL, most teams have one of their top talents wearing the "C". But most of those players are either outright stars or are also grit and determination guys. I'm not sure Vanek is an outright star and if Vanek had the determination of Getzlaf or Richards, or heck, even Shane Doan I could see giving him the captaincy. But I don't see that in his game really. It doesn't make him any less tough or less talented. It just makes him less of a leader. He can still be the best player on the team and not be a great leader.

How is playing through a hand injury to be the best player on the team not "determination"? It sounds like you're complaining that he doesn't throw checks, and I suppose it'd be better to have a captain who could punish opposing players. But that's not a prerequisite (for me anyway). Fact is, the guy is willing to take a beating out there, play through injuries, and make a serious difference on the ice. No one did more to turn our season around than Thomas Vanek. We looked doomed when Roy went down in late December and Vanek led us to the playoffs from there. That's leadership to me.

Though Pominville will probably miss the start of the season and I'm always hoping they trade Hecht - at least take off the A.

On that front - Paul Hamilton was just on WGR - last caller dissed Vanek. Hamilton said that Vanek never takes a shift off. While he didn't say that Vanek should be captain - he did say he would make a good captain.

Also - he mentioned how Lindy has done a poor job with picking captains and he once again mentioned how if Lindy had his way that Hecht would be captain.

Hamilton has said many times that Vanek would be his pick, both that he's earned it and that he thinks Vanek would positively to the extra responsibility.

I guess I agree with Hamilton about the captains thing under Ruff. Rivet was a debacle (not his fault). Letting the players vote and immediately ask the newest guy on the team to lead them was a red flag and a sign that guys were hesitant to step up. I'd rather have Ruff identify the players who need to be leaders and say "I need you, you, you, and you to step up and lead this team." He has the experience to know who will do well in that role.

I was once in the room when someone asked Scotty Bowman what being a captain means.

1) In charge of the dressing room - I believe he said even the coach should need permission to come in.

2) Liaison to coaches.

3) Communicate with officials.

The captain is the guy that does that.

And someone else in the room told me:

Scotty liked to bag skate the entire team until his new captain would come see him.

Then Scotty would kick the captain out and bag skate the entire team the next day too. :lol:

Today, I don't think it means a thing. So I rarely participate in Captain discussions.

Archived