Game Discussion Thread: Flyers at Sabres

Assquatch

I'll be able to listen to the online feed at 11:30 pm here in Afghanistan, beats getting up at 3 am! GO SABRES an absolute Flyers goaltending collapse is in the cards I think!

Thank you for your service. :clapping: Happy Easter. Stay safe...

perhaps my memory betrays me but it seems like everytime the Sabres and Flyers meet in the playoffs there's always one 7 or 8 goal blowout for the Sabres... let's hope today is that game!

Pilfered from the Flyer's HFBoards:

"April 21, 2001 -- In Game 6, Dominik Hasek made 24 saves and the Sabres handed the Flyers their largest playoff defeat ever, 8-0 in Buffalo. Chris Gratton (2-1-3), Dave Andreychuk (1-2-3), Miroslav Satan (0-3-3) and J.P. Dumont (2-0-2) led the offense. Buffalo led 4-0 after one period. Roman Cechmanek surrendered five goals on nine shots and was replaced by Brian Boucher (14/17) in the second period. "

and

"May 2, 2006 -- In Game 6, Buffalo advanced to the next round with a 7-1 victory in Philly. Ryan Miller (21 saves), Chris Drury (1-3-4), Mike Grier (1-3-4) and Derek Roy (1-2-3) led the Sabres. Buffalo led 3-0 after one period and 5-0 in the second period when Robert Esche was pulled (12 saves, 17 shots) for Antero Niittymaki (9 saves, 11 shots). Buffalo's offense was led by Daniel Briere (3-6-9), Chris Drury (3-5-8), Tim Connolly (3-5-8), J.P. Dumont (4-3-7). and Jason Pominville (4-2-6). The Sabres outscored the Flyers 13-2 in first periods."

Holy Ghosts of Captains past Batman.... Did you notice that Easter is in Eastern Conference Semifinals? I think it's appropriate to close them out today.

Pilfered from the Flyer's HFBoards:

"April 21, 2001 -- In Game 6, Dominik Hasek made 24 saves and the Sabres handed the Flyers their largest playoff defeat ever, 8-0 in Buffalo. Chris Gratton (2-1-3), Dave Andreychuk (1-2-3), Miroslav Satan (0-3-3) and J.P. Dumont (2-0-2) led the offense. Buffalo led 4-0 after one period. Roman Cechmanek surrendered five goals on nine shots and was replaced by Brian Boucher (14/17) in the second period. "

and

"May 2, 2006 -- In Game 6, Buffalo advanced to the next round with a 7-1 victory in Philly. Ryan Miller (21 saves), Chris Drury (1-3-4), Mike Grier (1-3-4) and Derek Roy (1-2-3) led the Sabres. Buffalo led 3-0 after one period and 5-0 in the second period when Robert Esche was pulled (12 saves, 17 shots) for Antero Niittymaki (9 saves, 11 shots). Buffalo's offense was led by Daniel Briere (3-6-9), Chris Drury (3-5-8), Tim Connolly (3-5-8), J.P. Dumont (4-3-7). and Jason Pominville (4-2-6). The Sabres outscored the Flyers 13-2 in first periods."

Holy Ghosts of Captains past Batman.... Did you notice that Easter is in Eastern Conference Semifinals? I think it's appropriate to close them out today.

Both Game 6's huh? That's awesome. Thanks for that.

To clarify, I had forgotten about Game 6 in 2006 -- I attended Game 2 that year which Buffalo won 8-2. That's probably why it seemed like it happened more than just twice.

For what it's worth, from Sabres' website:

In their history, the Sabres are 5-1 in a series when leading 3-2. They also have a record of 5-1 in Game 6: 2-0 at home, 3-1 on the road. The last time Buffalo played at home when leading a series 3-2 was April 21, 2001 vs. Philadelphia –a game that Buffalo won 8-0.

Just home from Church, on the way home we roll up to this van at a light with a Flyer sticker on the side. I motioned for them to roll down the window, I yelled Lets go sabres, they gave me the finger.

Happy easter Everyone go Sabres!!

:lol: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

First goal of the game today is huge. I mean, it's always important, but in an elimination game even moreso.

Connolly lights the lamp today? Anything is possible.

Let's Go, Buffalo! Bring on Ovie and the Caps.

I figured what better day to make my first post than today! Let's kick the flyers ###### and move on to the next round!

Happy Easter everyone.

happy easter newbie. :) (says the barely-been-on-the-board-a-few-months guy ...)

and happy easter to everyone else, of course. recording the game cuz we're going to be "occupied elsewhere" for almost the entire duration of the game. phone is going into airplane mode from face-off until bedtime so i don't get any notices. we'll be home shortly after the game (SHOULD) end, barring any overtime.

aaaaand i just realized that probably no one cares about my plans for the day, so ... GO SABRES!

Just home from Church, on the way home we roll up to this van at a light with a Flyer sticker on the side. I motioned for them to roll down the window, I yelled Lets go sabres, they gave me the finger.

Happy easter Everyone go Sabres!!

Those evil pagan Flyers fans. Do not let that penetrate your wholesome do-good Sabres soul. Karma will take care of everything.

Have a very happy Easter everyone, I hope to see the forum blowing up tonight with talk of round 2.

Have they announced which Flyers goalie will be beaten like an ugly stepchild today?

TSNBobMcKenzie Who's starting in net for PHI today? Good question. Conventional wisdom is it will be Boucher. I'm guessing Leighton.

TSNBobMcKenzie And it doesn't sound like we will see Chris Pronger in the PHI lineup. Of course, no Pominville (cut leg) will be out for Buffalo.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Archived