Game Discussion Thread: Flyers at Sabres

Assquatch

If there is ANY silver lining to the Pominville injury, it's that the recall of Ellis puts Boyes back on the wing, where he's most comfortable (and presumably most dangerous).

Hasn't he been playing wing on the line with McCormick & Grier? Just still taking the draws.

Hasn't he been playing wing on the line with McCormick & Grier? Just still taking the draws.

Sh!t...brain fart. I was confusing Ellis with Adam -- he isn't even a center. I think I was "hoping" Adam would be called up.

Never mind my nonsense.

Won't be able to post much today because family is due to arrive any minute. Although we're all wearing our Sabres garb and will be sat in front of the TV to watch the game.

This is just as much chance of the Sabres taking this series today as they have had to win any of the games in this series. No predictions here, but there's not reason not for them to win it.

Happy Easter all.

Long time board lurker. I saw in another thread that Roy has been ruled out game 6. Any word on Hecht? I was hoping one of them would be able to roll to avoid playing Ellis.

I really want the Sabres to play a complete game today. They have yet to play a solid 3 periods during this series and I am longing for a dominant outing. Although, against a team of the Flyers magnitude, that is easier said than accomplished.

Myers, Vanek, Connolly (Yes...finally) and Boyes light the lamp. 4-1 Buffalo.

Sh!t...brain fart. I was confusing Ellis with Adam -- he isn't even a center. I think I was "hoping" Adam would be called up.

Never mind my nonsense.

If Adam got called up we'd spend the entire game on the PK. At this level and in the playoffs you have to be able to keep a cool head - MAG is the rookie poster child for that ability right now, keeps his head up and on a swivel.

That being said, when Luke's game levels out I think we are going to be able to add a much needed power forward with some size to the ranks who can play center or left wing.

Nothing against Gerbe or Ennis, they both play with tremendous heart and have great hands, but with their size forget about punishing a D with a decent forcheck with those guys. I wanted Ennis to cycle the puck in deep instead of stick-handling into the zone, but after watching him do that and then get dusted off like a mosquito by the Flyers defense on the wall I concede that he has to play his game which is stick handle and skate to gain the zone and create space for himself and his line mates. Gerbe, if he added a little size has pretty good leverage and could be a much younger Briere in the making. He certainly gets under the skin of every team we play much as Danny always does.

Some interesting stats on the importance of playing with the lead in this series:

- The losing team has held a lead in a game just once, and for just 44 seconds (Sabres in Game 2).

- The Sabres have led for 106 minutes, 22 seconds. Flyers have led for 75 minutes, 59 seconds. The score has been tied for 123 minutes, 10 seconds.

- The games at HSBC have been tied for much less time than the games in Philly. Each game in Philly has featured at least 24 minutes of a tied score, and more than half of the total minutes have involved a tie game. In Buffalo, there's been just 25 total minutes of a tie score in the two games, with the team who won Games 3 and 4 holding an early lead for much of the game.

So, this means that Buffalo will take an early lead today and pile on with a few more goals before finishing with a 4-1 victory (ok, that last part is just my prediction).

I am strangely calm today as I was for the OT in the last game. I don't know why but I am just not worried about them not taking care of business today. It just doesn't seem to fit the story they are writing for themselves...

I am just the opposite...very nervous today...

Hamilton doesn't think we're going win.

I didn't hear his comments but I just don't get that. I'm all for the fans having "that feeling" that their team is going to win, but seriously who the hell voices their opinion "thinking" their team is going to lose? Did it come to him in a dream, a vision or something? Is it because we lost Pominville?

"ooh yeah I just don't think the Sabres are going to win today." Based on what?

I know it sounds like the same thing but idk it just seems odd. Even if you don't have confidence in the team, it seems like at the worst you would say something like "it's going to be a tough game and we'll have to wait and see" or something. Not "The Sabres aren't gonna win today. I don't think they will."

I didn't hear his comments but I just don't get that. I'm all for the fans having "that feeling" that their team is going to win, but seriously who the hell voices their opinion "thinking" their team is going to lose? Did it come to him in a dream, a vision or something? Is it because we lost Pominville?

I know it sounds like the same thing but idk it just seems odd. Even if you don't have confidence in the team, it seems like at the worst you would say something like "it's going to be a tough game and we'll have to wait and see" or something. Not "The Sabres aren't gonna win today. I don't think they will."

Well people are talking about the desperation the Flyers are going to come out with. But there has to be at least some from our side because we definitely don't want this to go back to Philly. I know this is going to be tough but successful playoff teams need to win games like this so if we expect to go anywhere this year, winning this game is a step in that direction.

The last thing we want are radio personalities having opinions :doh:

This is an absolute blast. How can anyone be nervous? We're playing with the house's money. To gear up I'm sitting out on the patio in the sun with a beer, WGR online, an SS.

As to the game itself -

1.I have complete confidence in Matt Ellis.

2.Philly's need to watch Leighton's backside is going to so down their transition, game opening up the ice for us. I think we'll have more extended pressure in their zone.

3.Stay out of the box. We are going to miss Pominville if we don't.

4.My gut says TC gives us a shocker today.

Man, this is fun!!!!

Agreed with the relaxed and excited posts. I'm not nervous at all, mainly because getting this far has been a blast. Obviously winning today would be great, but I'm not gonna beat myself up worrying about it. I'm just the guy sittin in the backseat of the convertible with a beer and a smile.

Archived