Good whisky/whiskey

biodork

I love a good Sazerac! 

This is what I ordered:

https://perks.urbandaddy.com/national/cocktail-courier-jack-daniel-s-rye-sazerac-cocktail-kit-1216.html?utm_source=Perks_NTL&utm_content=cocktailcourier&utm_campaign=dedicated_121916&utm_medium=Email

30% off this week with an email promo from Urban Daddy (no idea why I'm on that list, lol):

Sazerac: an old standby.

Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel Tennessee Rye Whiskey: a new favorite.

This Perk: a cocktail kit that includes all the ingredients you need to make a Sazerac with the aforementioned Jack Daniel’s.

And for this week only you’ll save 30% with code UDRYE30 at checkout.

Crown Royal Vanilla. Sorry to anyone who has enough hair on their chest to drink whisky straight without flavoring 

I was just talking to a person that highly recommended CR Vanilla, and we were discussing different scotches we liked when it came up. To be honest I shrugged his recommendation off at first, but I see my self coming around.

To those that are partial to the more modest single malt scotch whiskeys like McCallan 12 year and find the likes of Laphroaig to be a bit over whellming with peat/moss/bark/oak/dirt/smoke/ taste I recommend Jura Origin.  It has the slight tastes of honey and maple syrup with a bit of peat. Not nearly as clean as McCallan, but as the bottle states, light and delicate.

Monkey Shoulder is up next.

I was just talking to a person that highly recommended CR Vanilla, and we were discussing different scotches we liked when it came up. To be honest I shrugged his recommendation off at first, but I see my self coming around.

To those that are partial to the more modest single malt scotch whiskeys like McCallan 12 year and find the likes of Laphroaig to be a bit over whellming with peat/moss/bark/oak/dirt/smoke/ taste I recommend Jura Origin.  It has the slight tastes of honey and maple syrup with a bit of peat. Not nearly as clean as McCallan, but as the bottle states, light and delicate.

Monkey Shoulder is up next.

I just don't know if I could ever take something with "Vanilla" in its title as anything more than an appeal to the masses to increase sales not unlike Fireball Whisky or Goldschlager. For example, if I met someone and the first thing out of their mouth regarding liquor is "CR Vanilla is really good" I would immediately judge them as someone who doesn't know what the f### they are talking about regarding good scotch or bourbon. 

then again maybe I am just an uptight snob :unsure:

I just don't know if I could ever take something with "Vanilla" in its title as anything more than an appeal to the masses to increase sales not unlike Fireball Whisky or Goldschlager. For example, if I met someone and the first thing out of their mouth regarding liquor is "CR Vanilla is really good" I would immediately judge them as someone who doesn't know what the f### they are talking about regarding good scotch or bourbon. 

That's why it was so weird, we were discussing different single malt scotches and he threw out that he liked the CR Vanilla. I'm not sure if there is a very light vanilla taste, where in other flavored liquors it's more pronounced that makes the CR more appealing? 

Or, after I explained to him I don't like the heavy earthy tastes often associated with a lot of the whiskeys that are coming out to the market today he thought I might like it?

He never said it's very good, only that I might appreciate it. He also has a dislike of all things Jack Daniels. Which I agreed with him on.

That's why it was so weird, we were discussing different single malt scotches and he threw out that he liked the CR Vanilla. I'm not sure if there is a very light vanilla taste, where in other flavored liquors it's more pronounced that makes the CR more appealing? 

Or, after I explained to him I don't like the heavy earthy tastes often associated with a lot of the whiskeys that are coming out to the market today he thought I might like it?

He never said it's very good, only that I might appreciate it. He also has a dislike of all things Jack Daniels. Which I agreed with him on.

Maybe he just thought you had no taste?!? :nana:

(I kid, I kid)

I know for me personally, I'm not at that stage yet where I can enjoy whiskey straight without some sort of flavoring. I can do Old Fashioned's, Manhattan's, Sazerac's, CR Vanilla, BV Toasted Caramel, but not "unflavored" for lack of a decent term. At the same time, I don't sit around and pretend like I'm drinking from the finest aged whiskey barrels on earth. I know what I'm drinking is affordable and I probably couldn't tell the difference between cheap straight or expensive straight anyways. Maybe it's good I'm not at that stage yet, considering I'm 23 years old  :P

And you aren't a snob. I'm the same way when it comes to beer. When my friend cracks open a bud light, takes a sip, and tells me how good it tastes about 50 questions run through my head. I'm not above drinking light beer at all, but I'm not going to tell you the wonderful flavor it has.

From my extremely limited experience, I can tell you CR vanilla has a much less pronounced flavor added to the whisky than most. The term that comes to mind is "balanced." The vanilla doesn't try to mask the whisky, just compliment it from what I can taste.

I know what I'm drinking is affordable and I probably couldn't tell the difference between cheap straight or expensive straight anyways. Maybe it's good I'm not at that stage yet, considering I'm 23 years old  :P

That is a good thing for your wallet - once you get an appreciation for the "good stuff" you will start contemplating buying $50+ bottles of scotch or whisky. I know that was pretty tough to justify on my 23 yr old income.

Maybe he just thought you had no taste?!? :nana:

(I kid, I kid)

I know your funnin, so no worries.

Two friends of mine opened a distillery. They have a variety of vodka, and I am partial to a good vodka, so I did a sampling session with them. The difference between a corn based (they call it neutral) vodka and a rye based vodka is vast when in the world of non-flared vodkas. Which is misleading because all vodkas are flavored by the type of mash they use to make it. So they prefer to flavor their vodkas during the distilling of the mash and not by adding syrups to it at the end. The end result is a very subtle but distinctive taste, and this is what I prefer.

If the CR vanilla flavor is the direct result of adding vanilla to the mash adding a subtle yet distinctive taste to the end result, I have a  chance of liking that product. The two problems with the CR Vanilla for me are, I do not particularly care for the taste of Crown Royal or vanilla , and I doubt that it's not flavored by a syrup at the end.

From my extremely limited experience, I can tell you CR vanilla has a much less pronounced flavor added to the whisky than most. The term that comes to mind is "balanced." The vanilla doesn't try to mask the whisky, just compliment it from what I can taste.

It is good of you at your age to have limited experience. It does appears to be much more refined than mine at your age, hell, even now maybe. The flavored liquors you mentioned and most of the vodka isle any more are more like liquours or a Shnapps, and not at all to my liking. I'm still holding out on purchasing a bottle of the CR Vanilla till I have a shot over the rocks at a bar to make up my mind.

I ordered it without asking the price.  I asked before I ordered a 2nd glass.  I declined the 2nd glass.  I pay less for an entire bottle of really good bourbon than I paid for that glass.

But it was gat damned delicious.

At least it was a pretty hefty pour.

This year's treat for our Christmas gathering is a homemade Americanized version of Irish cream.

Whip 3 eggs until good and fluffy.  With the mixer still running, add 2 cups of bourbon (or keep it traditional with Irish whiskey), 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, an equal amount of heavy cream, 1 Tbls of Hershey's chocolate syrup, and 1 Tsp of vanilla extract. 

Supposedly it will last for a few weeks in the fridge.  I bet it doesn't last the day.

It has a texture like egg nog.  Sub half and half for the heavy cream and it lightens up a bit.  I used Evan Williams and half and half, and evaporated milk + 1 cup sugar instead of the sweetened condensed milk.  The chocolate flavor is subtle.  It is dangerously delicious.

This year's treat for our Christmas gathering is a homemade Americanized version of Irish cream.

Whip 3 eggs until good and fluffy. With the mixer still running, add 2 cups of bourbon (or keep it traditional with Irish whiskey), 1 can of sweetened condensed milk, an equal amount of heavy cream, 1 Tbls of Hershey's chocolate syrup, and 1 Tsp of vanilla extract.

Supposedly it will last for a few weeks in the fridge. I bet it doesn't last the day.

It has a texture like egg nog. Sub half and half for the heavy cream and it lightens up a bit. I used Evan Williams and half and half, and evaporated milk + 1 cup sugar instead of the sweetened condensed milk. The chocolate flavor is subtle. It is dangerously delicious.

Holy calorie bomb, lol... sounds amazing, though. Hope you're well-stocked on TP. :unsure: Edited by biodork

Made a nice old fashioned with the Bro in law last night, used bulleit with some simple syrup, bitters and I use orange zest in mine. Sometimes I splash some maple in there too. Delicious.

I've also picked up a bottle of 1792, not super expensive and ratings on it are so-so, but I find it to be incredibly smooth and have a great taste.

Conversely, I had some Dickels aged last week, and it's basically worse than old crow.

Monkey Shoulder.

Blended Scotch Whiskey.

"Some say it tastes just like riding bareback on the wild moors of Scotland with a flame haired maiden on Christmas morning. Others agree it tastes like 007 wearing a tuxedo wetsuit." This is whisky to be enjoyed.

*This is whiskey to be enjoyed* is spot on. It is very light, smooth and an easy finish. No heavy after taste like smoking a cheap cigar. The rest was written by PA whilst moon lighting on the moors during the winter solstice.

Scottish legend is always a bit suspect, but for some reason I believe this one about PA.

Edited by Woods-Racer

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.