Hey Lindy

neverenough

Does anyone here no why Lindy wont give Vanek the C,i mean come on now its about that time ;) Who names there son Lindy anyways?just sayin :blink:

Because common sense dictates that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why on Earth would you want to change anything up right now with this team? :blink:

Why on Earth would you want to change anything up right now with this team? :blink:

I agree with this - it ain't broke, worry about it in the offseason.

I also don't think Vanek should get the C. He's supposedly our star player, let him worry about scoring goals. I compare it to giving the C to a goalie. Who will be there to call out Vanek when he's in a slump? Pominville's the one who deserves the C, leave the A on Vanek.

I agree with this - it ain't broke, worry about it in the offseason.

I also don't think Vanek should get the C. He's supposedly our star player, let him worry about scoring goals. I compare it to giving the C to a goalie. Who will be there to call out Vanek when he's in a slump? Pominville's the one who deserves the C, leave the A on Vanek.

Has he ever called anyone out?

Just asking, cuz I don't think he is going to get down anyones throat about playing poorly.

Here's a statistical nugget: 19 of Vanek's goals this year have come in 15 games against:

Atl

NJ

TB

Toronto

CBJ

Col

NYI

FLA

So, in the other 64 games, most of which were against the better teams, he has 12 goals.

I need to see him deliver in the playoffs before I get on the Vanek-for-captain bandwagon.

I'll also say NFW to Pommer being named captain.

Here's a statistical nugget: 19 of Vanek's goals this year have come in 15 games against:

Atl

NJ

TB

Toronto

CBJ

Col

NYI

FLA

So, in the other 64 games, most of which were against the better teams, he has 12 goals.

I need to see him deliver in the playoffs before I get on the Vanek-for-captain bandwagon.

I'll also say NFW to Pommer being named captain.

I understand your point, and I am not banging the drum 100% for Vanek either ... but ...

First of all, I am not sure Tampa belongs on that list ... yeah he scores in bunches against them but they are a good team (compared to the others) and his goals WIN games against them ... that's what I want from a captain, rising to the occasion against the good teams. Regardless, he's hardly alone ...

I didn't count the number of games exactly, but 20 of Eric Staal's 33 goals this season are against those same teams and Ottawa, who also sucks. So he has 13 goals against the "better" teams.

Also, Jonathan Toews has 20 of his 32 goals against non-playoff teams ...

Jeff Carter has 20 of his 36 against non-playoff teams ...

Even Ovechkin has 21 of his 32 against non-playoff teams ...

I understand the first two guys have rings. I am not saying he is as good as them Carter or Ovechkin (Although Carter's playoff numbers kind of sucked last year considering how far they went) ... just that you can go through a lot of the top scorers and find that they score more against the bad teams. Those guys were the worst offenders, but even Perry, Lucic, Iginla, they all score more against the bad teams than the good teams.

I get it, it comes back to your playoff success point, but you can only pick the captain from the guys on your team ... and he might be the best guy for the job on this team. He did seem to take it up a notch last year in the 2 whole playoff games he was healthy, and forget the scoring, his all-around game has come a long way and that's what has impressed me the most.

Why not?This team will not go down the tube just because Vanek has the C on his jersey trust me.The boys are playing good hockey in Buffalo and that has everything to do with Pegula 'The owner that truly cares' :thumbsup:

Why not?This team will not go down the tube just because Vanek has the C on his jersey trust me.The boys are playing good hockey in Buffalo and that has everything to do with Pegula 'The owner that truly cares' :thumbsup:

You never know. That letter C could effect the chemistry. It's funny how even the smallest change could have catastrophic results.

And reportedly, I think from one of the equipment managers, Lindy can be pretty superstitious about the little stuff. For example, if we win, then he likes to recreate the same situation for the next game by not changing much, even little things. With how they've been playing, I'd be surprised if they changed seats on the plane.

If there is any player deserving to wear the C it is Vanek... I think the C will do wonders for him. As far as some other player with the C calling him out when he's not producing that's BS... All players on this team know that Vanek himself will do that on his own.

Vanek will be the Captain next year... accept it because Vanek will.

Atl

NJ

TB

Toronto

CBJ

Col

NYI

FLA

He was our best player in the playoffs last year. We were cruising along until he got hurt.

The point about which teams he's scoring on is weak. He's easily been our best player this season. You don't get to 70 points by not playing well against good competition. He's set up some huge goals against good teams (e.g. Pominville's GWG against Philly a few weeks back).

Let them vote.

Last time we did that it was a disaster.

Ruff is experienced enough that he should be able to identify who will rise to the challenge of being the captain and use that responsibility to help the team get to the next level. Ruff should choose.

I understand your point, and I am not banging the drum 100% for Vanek either ... but ...

First of all, I am not sure Tampa belongs on that list ... yeah he scores in bunches against them but they are a good team (compared to the others) and his goals WIN games against them ... that's what I want from a captain, rising to the occasion against the good teams. Regardless, he's hardly alone ...

I didn't count the number of games exactly, but 20 of Eric Staal's 33 goals this season are against those same teams and Ottawa, who also sucks. So he has 13 goals against the "better" teams.

I understand the first two guys have rings. I am not saying he is as good as them Carter or Ovechkin (Although Carter's playoff numbers kind of sucked last year considering how far they went) ... just that you can go through a lot of the top scorers and find that they score more against the bad teams. Those guys were the worst offenders, but even Perry, Lucic, Iginla, they all score more against the bad teams than the good teams.

I get it, it comes back to your playoff success point, but you can only pick the captain from the guys on your team ... and he might be the best guy for the job on this team. He did seem to take it up a notch last year in the 2 whole playoff games he was healthy, and forget the scoring, his all-around game has come a long way and that's what has impressed me the most.

Wow. Excellent response. I'm humbled.

...just that you can go through a lot of the top scorers and find that they score more against the bad teams. Those guys were the worst offenders, but even Perry, Lucic, Iginla, they all score more against the bad teams than the good teams.

i'd like to nominate this for post of the season (POTS...?).

i've always tried to shy away from lauding the "top scorers" for their regular season successes. playoff success, and playoff performance...that is what is necessary to win in the post-season. players like claude giroux or dustin byfuglien, who have stepped it up in the past to another level when the games are live or die, those are the guys buffalo has to get in their system. disappearing acts like TC and JP are simply unacceptable...i don't care how many goals they bury in the regular season (or don't, as is the case this year). if they can't find the net when it really matters, i don't want them anywhere around HSBC unless they're on the visiting bench.

the way i see it, buffalo needs to pull up all the records for playoff scoring over the past decade and try to fill their weak spots both up front and on the back end with bodies that do really well in the second season, and are under the age of 34. i know that's a simplistic way of thinking, but i think it's a good start.

If there is any player deserving to wear the C it is Vanek... I think the C will do wonders for him. As far as some other player with the C calling him out when he's not producing that's BS... All players on this team know that Vanek himself will do that on his own.

True that :clapping:

You have no way of knowing how the added responsibility might affect Thomas' game, or how it might affect the chemistry of the locker room. They are on one of the biggest rolls in the history of the franchise right now. I would not make a change like this and I'm sure Lindy won't either.

I agree that next year he should be the captain.

Those top teams are top teams because they are able to shut down the opposition's best scorers. It's what wins games....defense.

Great post!

They'd pick someone not already on the team.

:thumbsup:

Maybe my opinion of who "deserves" to be Captain is different than others'. What is your criteria for saying Vanek deserves it? We as fans don't know everything that goes on in the lockerroom.

When reading this thread topic, does anyone else hear in the back of their mind the old WGR bit with Marty Biron calling Lindy over and over?

"Hey Lindy?"

"Yeah, Marty?"

"Nothing. hehehe"

No, but now I have ...

"Hey Lindy?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm brawling!"

in my head.

(

)

ain't broke don't fix it. Next year yes Vanek should have the C; besides the fact that he has earned it since Roy got hurt, there comes a time when you have to just throw responisbilty on to your star player's shoulders and I think that time has come for Vanek.

Archived