Was Andrew Peters rated an early 2nd round talent?

LabattBlue

I'm not concerned about the careers of the players taken before or after Peters(#34 overall, 7th pick of the 2nd round). I'm more interested in his pre-draft rankings. Was he really rated that highly? He had shown little to no scoring touch in the OHL at that point, and his skating and skills always left something to desire. I tried googling his draft profile, but didn't have any luck.

PS Except for Miller and to a lesser extent Kalinin and Kotalik, the 1998-2000 draft classes were unbelievably bad. It's no surprise DR has traded away his 2nd round picks at the deadline the last few years. He is probably still having nightmares over his SEVEN 2nd round selections from those 3 years...Peters, Milley, Kristek, Bartovic, Janik, Zigomanis & Dicaire. :blink:

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005054.html

I'm not concerned about the careers of the players taken before or after Peters(#34 overall, 7th pick of the 2nd round). I'm more interested in his pre-draft rankings. Was he really rated that highly? He had shown little to no scoring touch in the OHL at that point, and his skating and skills always left something to desire. I tried googling his draft profile, but didn't have any luck.

PS Except for Miller and to a lesser extent Kalinin and Kotalik, the 1998-2000 draft classes were unbelievably bad. It's no surprise DR has traded away his 2nd round picks at the deadline the last few years. He is probably still having nightmares over his SEVEN 2nd round selections from those 3 years...Peters, Milley, Kristek, Bartovic, Janik, Zigomanis & Dicaire. :blink:

Wow that is horrendous.. Outside of Peters and Janik, I can't say I remember the others at all. Did any of them ever make a big club?

1998 turned into a very deep draft for one that wasn't thought to have much top-end talent.

But the drafting reflected the trend toward Devils trap hockey. Who new that the lockout would open the league up for middleweight skaters like Eric Cole in the early middle of half of these guys careers.

Wow that is horrendous.. Outside of Peters and Janik, I can't say I remember the others at all. Did any of them ever make a big club?

Milley and Bartovic played significant time for the Sabres under Lindy Ruff, then promptly disappeared when they left Ruff's system. Ruff claims two more victims...

Milley and Bartovic played significant time for the Sabres under Lindy Ruff, then promptly disappeared when they left Ruff's system. Ruff claims two more victims...

Less than 30 career games in the blue and gold = significant playing time? :blink:

Less than 30 career games in the blue and gold = significant playing time? :blink:

Wait, what? Define significant time.

Yeah, but every game they played in seemed like an eternity!

That's what I get for posting without looking it up first.

Darcy drafts some real solid AHL players, though, doesn't he?

He did draft two enjoyable names anyway. Tom Morrow and Norm Milley.

Who's on defense tomorrow?

Yup.

Who?

Tom Morrow.

Right, who's playing?

When?

Tomorrow.

What would you expect?

Normally?

Nah, he plays wing.

Who?

Norm Milley.

I could go on all night.

Who's on defense tomorrow?

Yup.

Who?

Tom Morrow.

Right, who's playing?

When?

Tomorrow.

What would you expect?

Normally?

Nah, he plays wing.

Who?

Norm Milley.

I could go on all night.

Don't. :D

Good God. No wonder Regier keeps trading these 2nd rounders away. Horrific. Let's hope Luke Adam breaks the curse.

(Might as well call it the LaFontaine Curse, BTW.)

Came across this tidbit amidst my hockey history adventures just now:

LaFontaine is one of four players in NHL history to skate for all three teams based in the state of New York. Who are the other three?

Mike Donolly, Jason Dawe, Marty Biron.

This was brought up not too long ago IIRC

Good God. No wonder Regier keeps trading these 2nd rounders away. Horrific. Let's hope Luke Adam breaks the curse.

(Might as well call it the LaFontaine Curse, BTW.)

To be fair, that 3 year streak of bad 2nd round picks was followed up by 2001 where he took Roy, Thorburn, and Pominville all in the 2nd round. Even with the loss of a marginal player at best in Thorburn, I'd say that one worked out quite well.

To be fair, that 3 year streak of bad 2nd round picks was followed up by 2001 where he took Roy, Thorburn, and Pominville all in the 2nd round. Even with the loss of a marginal player at best in Thorburn, I'd say that one worked out quite well.

I was extremely bummed the day the Pens picked off Thornburn on waivers.

Archived