Hecht: is he still worth a roster spot?

LGR4GM

I am not trying to b*tch and moan about hecht or anything but does the team really benefit that much from his presence. I think to a degree yes, but moving forward less and less. He is not a bad player or a good player, he's just solid. We all talk about with Roy or not with Roy well what about Hecht, who makes just a little less in money but contributes less in points but more in a defenses sort of way. I am on the fence with him but I am sure others either have torches and pitchforks ready or do not understand why we would even think he is expendable.

Before I went into the reason to/not to keep Hecht I decided to look up what his stats were like this year and years past to which I found kind of amazing. He has played just about 8 season with Buffalo(first season here was only 49 games) and in all 8 he has only surpassed 20 goals twice. Now I know Hecht was never pegged as a big scorer but for some reason I thought he was better than that. His career high for goals is 22 and his best year was when every Sabre probably had their best year which was 06-07 (G A PT - 19-37-56).

I know he has one more year on his contract and I wouldn't be against giving him the last year to play it out and if he does good use him as possible trade bait. The other option I could see them using is trying to trade him during the draft. Luckily, his final contract year is only 3M (I'm not a cap genius like others here so I have no clue what that means for cap hit) so we could likely get a team to take the trade since it is not that high of a number, say like Pommers on Timmy.

With all that said, I do feel like Hecht had a rough go at it because of the injuries we have faced at center and getting stuck in there by Ruff when he is a natural winger. I don't know how much different this would have translated into better games or more goals,assist,etc. but that's just one mans opinion.

I know he has one more year on his contract and I wouldn't be against giving him the last year to play it out and if he does good use him as possible trade bait. The other option I could see them using is trying to trade him during the draft. Luckily, his final contract year is only 3M (I'm not a cap genius like others here so I have no clue what that means for cap hit) so we could likely get a team to take the trade since it is not that high of a number, say like Pommers on Timmy.

Cap hit is the average salary over the contract (except, now, for very long contracts, it's just the average of five years; call it the Kovy rule.) So, while his salary has gone down ($3.8, $3.8, $3.5, $3.0 million), his cap his has been constant ($3.525 million.) His salary really isn't that different than his cap hit, even next season. Plus, even at $3 million, he's overpaid.

If they wanted to, they could buy him out this summer for $1 million (actual salary) in each of the next two years. However, because he had a decreasing contract, the Sabres would have, in effect, underpaid against the cap as compared to his actual salaries (for the first three seasons, he actually averaged $3.7 million.) As such, his cap hits would be $1.525, $1.0 million.

When Hecht is at his best, he's a solid defensive forward, who also chips in about (give or take) 20 goals, 45 points. He's extremely strong on the PK, serviceable on the second PP unit, and has some chemistry with Pommer. When he's all that, he's at the high end of his salary range; when he's not, he's quite overpaid. I don't know if I'd buy him out (even if you find a comparable player for $2.0 million in cap this year, you've lost another $1.0 million next year), but I'd consider it if it allowed enough room to bring in a big contract (for example, replace him with Adam for $875k, including potential bonuses, then put the extra $1.125 million toward squeezing in other pieces.) Otherwise, I would certainly entertain trade offers. I like Hecht, but for the money, I think he's replaceable (for less or with improvement.)

I think Hecht's true value is on a shutdowm line with supplemental scoring responsibilities. Now that we have plenty of wingers I think a great 3rd line would have Hecht and Pomminstein manning the wings. Not sure who I'd want to see centering that line.

I like Mancari better than Hecht. He brings more to the table. Jochen is only still here because of a bad contract the Sabres decided to milk to the end. I like Grier but he's like a car with too many miles on it...and he's starting to get hurt. I'd like to see all kids on our team!

I like Hecht defensive game and do agree with some on here that he is a very good 3rd line left winger.

I would also agree with some on here that we have an over abundance of wingers as of now. If I look at the left wing position, I would look at Vanek, Ennis, Gerbe as the most viable. That leaves McCormick and Hecht and McCormick is much cheaper, plays a role that is needed as both a checker and an energy guy that isn't afraid to mix it up to defend team mates when needed.

But, Hecht does bring some center experience to the table. I feel this will be negated to a large extent as the Sabres move forward addressing the center position in the off season.

This to me in any event, is the dilemma. I haven't seen Vanek, Ennis or Gerbe as a decent solution to the PK unit, although, I have to admit, when Vanek played the PK 2 seasons ago, he looked good there and actually added a threat the opposing PP point men had to take into account.

In my final analysis, I believe Hecht is expendable, and with only 1 year left on his contract, even at a 3.5 mil cap hit, he should be movable although I'd like to see him moved in a package deal to maximize the return.

@ BuffaninATL,

As for Grier, he most likely is gone at the end of the season. The right wing position may look good on paper in so far as talent and needed skill sets with Boyes, Stafford, Pominville and Kaleta. Mancari may or may not be back next season, I can see the Sabres giving Mancari a 1 year deal to play on the 3rd line with Gerbe and maybe Luke Adam coming up and centering them (if Adam can prove in training camp he belongs).

That being said, what are we looking at line wise here?

We surely can all agree that Ennis and Stafford are finding some good chemistry and although Boyes is playing at center for them currently I can see Buffalo looking to find that stud center to put with these 2.

Then there is the Vanek and Roy line. Neither Stafford nor Pominville have shown real chemistry on the right wing with these 2 players, do we see Boyes on the right wing next season with Roy and Vanek? I'll venture a guess and say yes.

So, let's speculate for a moment on this, potential lines:

Vanek - Roy - Boyes

Ennis - ? - Stafford

Gerbe - ?(Luke Adam?) - Mancari

McCormick - Gaustad - Kaleta

I have several questions on this type of speculation however.

Pominville is expensive at 5.3 mil for 3 more seasons. Would he fit better with Gerbe on the 3rd line? I don't know, and I haven't seen Gerbe play with Pominville to even give a best guess. I will say that Mancari is ok, but I have to believe Pominville, as a 2 way forward and PK'er is a much better option as of now, would he find chemistry down on line 3?

Also, if we are going after a gifted center for Ennis and Stafford, to me, the most viable trade asset is Pominville as teams would most certainly covet his skill set even with the high cap hit and salary.

Could we see a Pominville/Hecht package deal?

Only my opinion, but yes, this to me would be the best player package combined with maybe one of the young d men and maybe draft pick(s) to get that center.

But, as interesting as this conversation is, Hecht is most likely the most expendable on the current roster given his short contract following this season and it's price. From the Sabres standpoint it wouldn't be a significant lose. Once again, only my opinion.

This sums up Hecht in a minute thirty. Please watch the entire video as you need to see the replays at the end.

He is 5 feet from Spacek, watched him get cold cocked from behind, watches his goalie come to be the first in, watches his captain Briere jump in there, and spins around away from the scrum to grab a friendly.

This was a microcosm of why it has been hard to love this organization. Lindy loves Hecht because he is his perfect system player. Lindy pinned the "C" on Hecht first as the Sabres rotated it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73SRyWOagO4

This sums up Hecht in a minute thirty. Please watch the entire video as you need to see the replays at the end.

He is 5 feet from Spacek, watched him get cold cocked from behind, watches his goalie come to be the first in, watches his captain Briere jump in there, and spins around away from the scrum to grab a friendly.

This was a microcosm of why it has been hard to love this organization. Lindy loves Hecht because he is his perfect system player. Lindy pinned the "C" on Hecht first as the Sabres rotated it.

And yet he put a lumping on Lacavalier. The dude is an enigma. Then again, so is most of the rest of the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73SRyWOagO4

He dropped the gloves and grabbed the next guy in.

I posted about this in the gerbe/ennis thread, how looking at the lineup next year with adding two centers (ideal but unlikely) the one guy that becomes suddenly expendable is hecht. With gerbes emergence and the addition of boyes we have too many talented forwards where we almost need to roll three scoring able lines. Hecht defensive forward role is somehwat obsolete in that case...

Though I can't say I've been wowed by Hecht for some time...he's not a bad option to have on the roster.

Positives:

Good defensively

Competes in the corners

Gets the puck to net

Flexible positioning/all units, all forward positions

Usually makes the smart play.

Dependable option.

Negs:

Simply not a gifted center

Limited scoring touch

Can't stretch the ice like 5 years ago.

Passion is a full 7 furlongs behind his dependability.

Though I can't say I've been wowed by Hecht for some time...he's not a bad option to have on the roster.

Positives:

Good defensively

Competes in the corners

Gets the puck to net

Dependable option.

Negs:

Limited scoring touch

:D

That sums it up.

One more neg....when he scores on the backhand....he goes to the backhand exclusively for the next 3-5 games. A video scout in a Hampton Inn north of Moose Jaw can pick up on that.

:D

That sums it up.

One more neg....when he scores on the backhand....he goes to the backhand exclusively for the next 3-5 games. A video scout in a Hampton Inn north of Moose Jaw can pick up on that.

I might know that guy in Moose Jaw. Gordie something....he likes the free continental.

Could we see a Pominville/Hecht package deal?

Only my opinion, but yes, this to me would be the best player package combined with maybe one of the young d men and maybe draft pick(s) to get that center.

Will someone take $9MM worth of terrible contracts off of the Sabres' hands? Sure! Why not? It'll be part of the Stamkos/Malkin/Kesler package!

Back to reality: no one is going to take Pommer off of the Sabres' hands without the Sabres giving up real sweeteners -- ie draft picks and/or prospects. There is NFW anyone is going to give the Sabres a "stud center" in exchange for Pommer unless the Sabres take back an equally terrible contract in the deal.

Positives:

Good defensively

Competes in the corners

Gets the puck to net

Dependable option.

Negs:

Limited scoring touch

I think he's "serviceable" and plays responsible. My gripe, he shoots 90% (exaggeration) of his shots backhanded.

I think hecht is more expendable and easier to dump than pommers. He has 8 season in the nhl so he is veteran talent and he has been in 2 deep playoff runs so teams might be interested in his skill set. Rebuilding teams like toronto or a colorado might find him a useful addition until more talented rookies mature.

Pommers I think we should keep. He is a 20-30 goal scorer and is healthy almost always. He is on the pk an pp. He does not make mistakes and cost his team points. He doesnt take dumb penalties and if he had a decent center with him he could probably score more. Also he should work on his shot a bit. All and all I would keep pommers over drew and hecht.

Will someone take $9MM worth of terrible contracts off of the Sabres' hands? Sure! Why not? It'll be part of the Stamkos/Malkin/Kesler package!

Back to reality: no one is going to take Pommer off of the Sabres' hands without the Sabres giving up real sweeteners -- ie draft picks and/or prospects. There is NFW anyone is going to give the Sabres a "stud center" in exchange for Pommer unless the Sabres take back an equally terrible contract in the deal.

I am not one of the individuals that buys into the notion of Pominville's contract specifically being "terrible". Especially if your a team looking for a player with his specific skill sets combined with his production output and ability to stay healthy a majoriy of his career. To me in any event, there is always a buyer for a Pominville type player.

The "Pominville's contract is terrible, no one is going to take that off of our hands" thought process is another dog that don't hunt. It's just not true, sorry.

As for Hecht, he only has 1 year left on his contract, I wouldn't even put him in the "terrible contract" catagory, another dog that don't hunt to me.

As for a deal for a center, or a more specific name, I won't speculate, I will merely restate my firm belief that yes, if Pominville and Hecht were packaged together with some younger defensive asset(s) or draft pick(s) or a combination thereof, that a deal could conceivably be done. It' hardly within the realm with which the way you speak on it, that much is a surety.

As for taking back an "equally terrible contract", I find that a fallacy given that there have been deals in the NHL in the past that did not meet the standards you propose here.

It's merely my opinion and I can see where you'd like to believe that what you've posted here is the gospil, but it isn't quite frankly. Sorry.

I am not one of the individuals that buys into the notion of Pominville's contract specifically being "terrible". Especially if your a team looking for a player with his specific skill sets combined with his production output and ability to stay healthy a majoriy of his career. To me in any event, there is always a buyer for a Pominville type player.

The "Pominville's contract is terrible, no one is going to take that off of our hands" thought process is another dog that don't hunt. It's just not true, sorry.

As for Hecht, he only has 1 year left on his contract, I wouldn't even put him in the "terrible contract" catagory, another dog that don't hunt to me.

As for a deal for a center, or a more specific name, I won't speculate, I will merely restate my firm belief that yes, if Pominville and Hecht were packaged together with some younger defensive asset(s) or draft pick(s) or a combination thereof, that a deal could conceivably be done. It' hardly within the realm with which the way you speak on it, that much is a surety.

As for taking back an "equally terrible contract", I find that a fallacy given that there have been deals in the NHL in the past that did not meet the standards you propose here.

It's merely my opinion and I can see where you'd like to believe that what you've posted here is the gospil, but it isn't quite frankly. Sorry.

Other than saying "that dog won't hunt," can you provide any specifics? Any examples of a guy with Pommer's declining production, salary, and # of years left on his contract being traded since the lockout? Even one?

If you don't think Pommer's contract is terrible, I don't know what else to say.

EDIT: as for Hecht, the only reason his contract arguably isn't "terrible" is that it only has 1 year left. It absolutely was "terrible" before this year.

I think hecht is more expendable and easier to dump than pommers. He has 8 season in the nhl so he is veteran talent and he has been in 2 deep playoff runs so teams might be interested in his skill set. Rebuilding teams like toronto or a colorado might find him a useful addition until more talented rookies mature.

Pommers I think we should keep. He is a 20-30 goal scorer and is healthy almost always. He is on the pk an pp. He does not make mistakes and cost his team points. He doesnt take dumb penalties and if he had a decent center with him he could probably score more. Also he should work on his shot a bit. All and all I would keep pommers over drew and hecht.

For a guy that was on a stretcher over the ice with a major dome dinger back in October. Pominville has had a respectable year.

Archived