T-PEGS Turns 60

kishoph

Did I say the team did?

Great, some innocent fun.....just like my comment.

It's a brave new world, where 30 year old radio personalities and team reps hover over the twitter page of the teenage daughters of their boss/business partner in order to gain favor. I'm sure if I saw Terry Pegula in line for the Mr. Softee truck, I'd tell him congratulations on his new toy and good luck with his goal. The Pegulamania is just in a bit of hyperdrive right now, and again, these "kids".....are probably having a little fun. Great. No harm done, just like no harm done by my commentary implying the culmination of shine and tap-dancing by the masses was seen today in an organized pilgramage, in front of newscameras and posted to youtube, to sing happy birthday to a 60 year old man who wasn't there, and wasn't in a hospital ward, nursing home, or the vatican from what I can tell.

Now....if the bus dropped those "kids" off after their visit to the kids ward at Roswell, and the newscameras were left over from a morning practice 10 hours after back to back games....then by all means, call me a cruel, lifeless, ignoramous who has my priorities out of order.

Ryan has a truck? I figured him to be more of a Volt man.

Mr. Drane...

I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately to this board, although for years I was on Sabres.com (until that board seems to have had a mass-migration from it).

I live on the left-coast (originally from WNY / die-hard Sabres fan who went to Bisons hockey games with my Dad before there WAS a Sabres), and come to these parts to get a "feel" for what the fans think is going on with my favorite life-long hockey franchise / my (always) "home" town.

I love the reads here, yours included, and obviously you are quite turned off that the new Sabres ownership doesn't seem inclined to want to throw out Regier's regime with the old bath-water. That comes through loud & clear.

I started this writing with the intention of asking for a bit of detail on "where" you were coming from, but I take it you are wondering if you should be pouring your hard-earned money into something (as a Sabres season-ticket holder) that is going in a direction other than what you would like to see(?).

For my part, I'm happy to see the Sabres turn-around (yes, it's happened beofre, with a fizzle at the end), and haven't written off Regier yet (have had that argument with friends / relatives)... Believing he MIGHT (key-word "MIGHT") be a decent GM. With Pegula's investment, and the Sabres' franchise history of giving up on people that pan out elsewhere, I'm glad this situation is going to play-out in this fashion... My biggest concern with Mr. Pegula, just from his taking over, is that he seems to come out (to me) like me (a true "fan"), and we know that Professional Sports is a business, and hard decisions have to be made, if the team doesn't advanced, as-expected... I love everything else he's done with the franchise, and letting it go back to it's "roots" (Alumni treatment, Sabre-dance, bringing back old traditions, the ocker room decor, etc...).

I've lived on the left coast for several decades, while you apparently have been giving a good chunk of your hard-earned money (you can correct me if I'm over-assuming things) towards supporting our Sabres. You've been through the close-calls with the Rigas family, then Galisano, both with the "Regier / Ruff" as the constant.

As a life-long Buffalo sports fan, with our decades of close calls (but no championship rings for our heroes), I feel where (I believe) you're coming from... There's a lot of us on here who have been there / had those same feelings (and who is to know if Regier may simply be "along for the ride" for a short time?... "Results" is how he should be measured..., and Pegula is stating "results" starts now with his Sabres management team).

But seeing that we're sitting only a few months into Mr. Pegula's ownership reign, I believe we owe it to his stated commitment to the team / franchise, to give him the benefit of the doubt... (my opinion only).

As always...

GO SABRES!!

(And Happy Birthday to Mr. Pegula, and many, many more years of a successful venture** as owner of our Sabres!! ** = Stanley Cup times "X", where X is a whole number > 0, before the end of OUR life-times)

Thank you for a well thought out reply.

I am NOT, mad at Pegula at all. In fact, I agree that his weakness may be that he is too much of a fan. I think his heart is in the right place, and over time we will probably see an efficient franchise. He just needs to balance out the learning curve that goes from being a fan, to owner.

My simple comment on this thread was not aimed at him. It was a social commentary on the American Idol/ Twitter/ etc. attention grabbing, star struck land we now inhabit. Buffalo is always going to have a chip on it's shoulder, and I admit that some of the corney stuff is what gives it charm, but it's getting a little crazy on the Pegula front. I'm sure the team playing acceptable over the past few months adds to it.

I've spent my fair share, and as I let the team know, am begging them to make me spend my money again. I'm hoping it's soon.

Mr. Drane...

I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately to this board, although for years I was on Sabres.com (until that board seems to have had a mass-migration from it).

I live on the left-coast (originally from WNY / die-hard Sabres fan who went to Bisons hockey games with my Dad before there WAS a Sabres), and come to these parts to get a "feel" for what the fans think is going on with my favorite life-long hockey franchise / my (always) "home" town.

I love the reads here, yours included, and obviously you are quite turned off that the new Sabres ownership doesn't seem inclined to want to throw out Regier's regime with the old bath-water. That comes through loud & clear.

I started this writing with the intention of asking for a bit of detail on "where" you were coming from, but I take it you are wondering if you should be pouring your hard-earned money into something (as a Sabres season-ticket holder) that is going in a direction other than what you would like to see(?).

For my part, I'm happy to see the Sabres turn-around (yes, it's happened beofre, with a fizzle at the end), and haven't written off Regier yet (have had that argument with friends / relatives)... Believing he MIGHT (key-word "MIGHT") be a decent GM. With Pegula's investment, and the Sabres' franchise history of giving up on people that pan out elsewhere, I'm glad this situation is going to play-out in this fashion... My biggest concern with Mr. Pegula, just from his taking over, is that he seems to come out (to me) like me (a true "fan"), and we know that Professional Sports is a business, and hard decisions have to be made, if the team doesn't advanced, as-expected... I love everything else he's done with the franchise, and letting it go back to it's "roots" (Alumni treatment, Sabre-dance, bringing back old traditions, the ocker room decor, etc...).

I've lived on the left coast for several decades, while you apparently have been giving a good chunk of your hard-earned money (you can correct me if I'm over-assuming things) towards supporting our Sabres. You've been through the close-calls with the Rigas family, then Galisano, both with the "Regier / Ruff" as the constant.

As a life-long Buffalo sports fan, with our decades of close calls (but no championship rings for our heroes), I feel where (I believe) you're coming from... There's a lot of us on here who have been there / had those same feelings (and who is to know if Regier may simply be "along for the ride" for a short time?... "Results" is how he should be measured..., and Pegula is stating "results" starts now with his Sabres management team).

But seeing that we're sitting only a few months into Mr. Pegula's ownership reign, I believe we owe it to his stated commitment to the team / franchise, to give him the benefit of the doubt... (my opinion only).

As always...

GO SABRES!!

(And Happy Birthday to Mr. Pegula, and many, many more years of a successful venture** as owner of our Sabres!! ** = Stanley Cup times "X", where X is a whole number > 0, before the end of OUR life-times)

Thats a great response man.

I have been a Sabre fan for almost all of my 40 years and I come to this message board to talk about the Sabres. But I guess my idea of being a fan differs from some people that are on this board, I back my team to the end. Do I like everything that they do? Of course not, I have been pissed off many times at the Sabres and their management. But with our new ownership I have had my hope renewed. I can't understand so called fans that want the Sabres to fail or miss the playoffs because 8th spot is "nothing to be proud of." Well that 8th spot is looking like it could be 6th spot. There are many things that I have learned playing and coaching sports and that is hard work and a never give up attitude can get you somewhere. Well it looks like the 2010-2011 Sabres have been working hard and are gonna be a tough team to play against in the playoffs. At the very least it will lay the ground work for the younger players and show them how hard they have to work to be successful.

Darcy has done some good things and done some pretty lame things. But, seeing some of the talent we have on the team now and some that is going to be coming up in a year or two I am pretty excited for what the future holds for the Sabres. I think that having an owner that is going to be spending some money to top it off could really lead somewhere. I love taking my family to Buffalo two or three times a season to watch a couple of games, we have a great time. My Son is now wearing my Gilbert Perreault Jersey that I wore back in the day and it makes me damn proud to see it.

I have been a Sabre fan for almost all of my 40 years and I come to this message board to talk about the Sabres. But I guess my idea of being a fan differs from some people that are on this board, I back my team to the end. Do I like everything that they do? Of course not, I have been pissed off many times at the Sabres and their management. But with our new ownership I have had my hope renewed. I can't understand so called fans that want the Sabres to fail or miss the playoffs because 8th spot is "nothing to be proud of." Well that 8th spot is looking like it could be 6th spot. There are many things that I have learned playing and coaching sports and that is hard work and a never give up attitude can get you somewhere. Well it looks like the 2010-2011 Sabres have been working hard and are gonna be a tough team to play against in the playoffs. At the very least it will lay the ground work for the younger players and show them how hard they have to work to be successful.

Darcy has done some good things and done some pretty lame things. But, seeing some of the talent we have on the team now and some that is going to be coming up in a year or two I am pretty excited for what the future holds for the Sabres. I think that having an owner that is going to be spending some money to top it off could really lead somewhere. I love taking my family to Buffalo two or three times a season to watch a couple of games, we have a great time. My Son is now wearing my Gilbert Perreault Jersey that I wore back in the day and it makes me damn proud to see it.

I will tell you this....we are stuck with Ruff/Regier, so I hope they win the Cup. The entire process of wanting to hit bottom was so that ownership would be forced to make changes because fans like yourself, who spend and root no matter what input and output from the team is involved, would finally feel enough pain to pull your support. Support of a NOW PROVEN group that was only in it to make money.

That's all. I don't want fans to be miserable. I just want a realistic chance at glory. In my opinion, I have had plenty of data to digest on GM/Coach/Players. If the Sabres were clearly going to miss the playoffs this year, I wanted disaster to rid us (me), of mediocrity. Now that we aren't at that point, I want them to win the F'n Cup. I've said before if they win the Cup with Regier, I'll bake him a cake, bring it down to his office, shake his hand, and appologize for any harsh things I have ever said. And if you want.....you can come film that!

I understand where you are coming from, and I understand the flack I will take for taking the stance I do at times.

I also think living outside of Buffalo makes it easier to feel good about things. When I was full time in Florida, I almost never missed a road trip and would try to get back for as many games as I could around holidays and weekends.

Did I say the team did?

Great, some innocent fun.....just like my comment.

It's a brave new world, where 30 year old radio personalities and team reps hover over the twitter page of the teenage daughters of their boss/business partner in order to gain favor. I'm sure if I saw Terry Pegula in line for the Mr. Softee truck, I'd tell him congratulations on his new toy and good luck with his goal. The Pegulamania is just in a bit of hyperdrive right now, and again, these "kids".....are probably having a little fun. Great. No harm done, just like no harm done by my commentary implying the culmination of shine and tap-dancing by the masses was seen today in an organized pilgramage, in front of newscameras and posted to youtube, to sing happy birthday to a 60 year old man who wasn't there, and wasn't in a hospital ward, nursing home, or the vatican from what I can tell.

Now....if the bus dropped those "kids" off after their visit to the kids ward at Roswell, and the newscameras were left over from a morning practice 10 hours after back to back games....then by all means, call me a cruel, lifeless, ignoramous who has my priorities out of order.

How could we have missed this? Behind your ###### innuendo is really the extended metaphor of a literary conceit.

I just thought it was ugly, so I said so.

I don't have any desire to police things.

That's all. I don't want fans to be miserable. I just want a realistic chance at glory. In my opinion, I have had plenty of data to digest on GM/Coach/Players. If the Sabres were clearly going to miss the playoffs this year, I wanted disaster to rid us (me), of mediocrity. Now that we aren't at that point, I want them to win the F'n Cup.

Good to hear man.......PLayoff time is really stressful but it is also so exciting......... :beer:

I am NOT, mad at Pegula at all. In fact, I agree that his weakness may be that he is too much of a fan. I think his heart is in the right place, and over time we will probably see an efficient franchise. He just needs to balance out the learning curve that goes from being a fan, to owner.

My simple comment on this thread was not aimed at him. It was a social commentary on the American Idol/ Twitter/ etc. attention grabbing, star struck land we now inhabit. Buffalo is always going to have a chip on it's shoulder, and I admit that some of the corney stuff is what gives it charm, but it's getting a little crazy on the Pegula front. I'm sure the team playing acceptable over the past few months adds to it.

I've spent my fair share, and as I let the team know, am begging them to make me spend my money again. I'm hoping it's soon.

It's all good. Thanks for the reply.

My line of work is on systems /computers (DBA, Sysadmin, Storage, etc...), so I've had to deal with my share of the electronic age, and there are many good & bad things that have resulted (Twitter following common peeps is downright creepy, and taking Arpanet..., the origin of the Internet, too far, in my book).

We're all here for the same purpose. As always...

GO SABRES!!

Add: And yes, I agree with you that living out-of-town probably dulls the "downs" a bit. But the day the cup comes to WNY, we'll all envy those who are there first-hand, to witness it!

How could we have missed this? Behind your ###### innuendo is really the extended metaphor of a literary conceit.

I just thought it was ugly, so I said so.

I don't have any desire to police things.

90% of the barbs I throw aren't just for face value. Yes, I can be sophmoric at times, but I usually leave the empty netters for someone else. It's all a big puzzle baby. At times I admit I am probably only amusing myself, but I try not to hurt anybody. Just look at some of the well thought out responses and extended communication garnered from a simple implication of.....

You policed it the right way. You said what you felt, made me think about it, and hopefully we all have a better understanding of each other. No turnbuckles and Colin Campbell needed.

Given the state of Buffalo, having an owner who will keep the team there is the most anyone can realistically ask for at this point. IOW, beggars can't be choosers. If you accept that, and you should, you should be kissing the arses of Golisano and Pegula (the Sabres figure to be in Buffalo for at least the next half-century, as the team will almost assuredly pass to Pegs' kids, on the condition they keep the team in Buffalo).

However what we have in Pegs is a guy who has stated that he's committed to spending money on the Sabres, even if it means taking a loss. It's doubtful you'll find ANY owner in ANY sport willing to do this (this assumes Pegs keeps his word). That's how much of a fan he is, assuming he keeps his word, which I believe he will.

Now what will distinguish him from a fan-turned-owner like Snyder is not gouging the fans and staying out of the day-to-day operation of the team. I think he'll do both.

Good to hear man.......PLayoff time is really stressful but it is also so exciting......... :beer:

I've had fun watching them the past few months. Have I said once that they are lacking heart or effort? That's the key....give me an honest effort from top down and I can't cry about it.

I hope if they make it they get Washington, because those guys remind me of the Sabres from a few years ago. You could beat that team.

Given the state of Buffalo, having an owner who will keep the team there is the most anyone can realistically ask for at this point. IOW, beggars can't be choosers. If you accept that, and you should, you should be kissing the arses of Golisano and Pegula (the Sabres figure to be in Buffalo for at least the next half-century, as the team will almost assuredly pass to Pegs' kids, on the condition they keep the team in Buffalo).

However what we have in Pegs is a guy who has stated that he's committed to spending money on the Sabres, even if it means taking a loss. It's doubtful you'll find ANY owner in ANY sport willing to do this (this assumes Pegs keeps his word). That's how much of a fan he is, assuming he keeps his word, which I believe he will.

Now what will distinguish him from a fan-turned-owner like Snyder is not gouging the fans and staying out of the day-to-day operation of the team. I think he'll do both.

Just because you can't get the prom queen doesn't mean you have to go with girl who throws shot put for your school. There's always celebacy.

90% of the barbs I throw aren't just for face value. Yes, I can be sophmoric at times, but I usually leave the empty netters for someone else. It's all a big puzzle baby. At times I admit I am probably only amusing myself, but I try not to hurt anybody. Just look at some of the well thought out responses and extended communication garnered from a simple implication of.....

You policed it the right way. You said what you felt, made me think about it, and hopefully we all have a better understanding of each other. No turnbuckles and Colin Campbell needed.

Good enough for me. :)

Just because you can't get the prom queen doesn't mean you have to go with girl who throws shot put for your school. There's always celebacy.

True. I wonder why all the people who mitch and boan about the Bills still watch them.

But are you talking about not watching hockey at all, or following another team? The latter isn't an option for me, while the former smacks of front-running and never being a true fan anyway.

True. I wonder why all the people who mitch and boan about the Bills still watch them.

But are you talking about not watching hockey at all, or following another team? The latter isn't an option for me, while the former smacks of front-running and never being a true fan anyway.

What I mean is you don't have to give money to an inferior/corrupt product. I can understand why some people would give up on the Bills as well. I've kept my tickets but have been a no-show at a few games the past few years.

Now that Pegula owns the team, I feel much better about "teaming up" with this team. Not because they may win something, but because I believe he wants to win and is making some effort to improve fan relations.

Vanilla takes 100x as long to make progress.

Just look at Darcy.

I understand where a certain brand of humor isn't for everyone, but I think 98% of the time I skirt around things so a teen or someone with an IQ a standard deviation to the left will pass right by. It gets blurry at times because this is a written form of communication, yet I speak through my voice. I'm sure there are some folks here who think I hang out in the Wegman's checkout line in a trench coat with a jar of hot fudge and some Sponge Bob band-aids in my basket, (see how that works?), but the reality is, if I use sarcasm or zingers.......do you ever see me going after something or someone that isn't deserving?

Take this thread for example. Can you not see why a comedic comment would be made? Do you not see the craziness of people making a pilgramage to the arena to sing happy birthday to a billionare who isn't there, and who takes their money on a regular basis to begin with? Then to top it off....it's found as newsworthy, and repeated here?

This world is freaking insane! My online persona is nothing more than an amplified running commentary where I choose to take on hypocrisy, corruption, homerism and yes, sometimes idiocy....all while attempting to keep a common sense approach as I use my experience to identify issues and think outside the box at times.

If you and others feel that I go beyond decent ground, all I can say is ignore what I say like you would an obnoxious table at a bar, or if I breach the standards of this board, report me, warn me, do whatever you feel is necessary. I'll listen to the will of the people. I probably spend too much time on here to begin with, but in all honesty, if I have to gladhand the average poster here on 90% of the topics.....I'd be bored to death.

There are only a few weeks left. Good weather is coming and posters will go into hibernation. Depending what these guys do in the offseason, I will either jump on the bandwagon, or shut up and accept what we have in place. Quinn is gone. That's the biggest thing I wanted out of this team.

A-fracking-men.

What I mean is you don't have to give money to an inferior/corrupt product. I can understand why some people would give up on the Bills as well. I've kept my tickets but have been a no-show at a few games the past few years.

Now that Pegula owns the team, I feel much better about "teaming up" with this team. Not because they may win something, but because I believe he wants to win and is making some effort to improve fan relations.

Gotcha.

I feel like I'm almost always of a similar mind. Always enjoy reading your posts and your signagture :beer:

I laugh at the people who use the whole "who wants them to sneak into 8th place and lose in the first round" argument. Statistically they might be "sneaking into 8th place" but there is absolutely no doubt the Sabres have been a Top 10, maybe even Top 5 team in the league since Jan 1st. It sucks that the first half of the season went so miserably, and I know the work isn't done yet, but no -- I'm not really scared of of a 8v1, 7v2, or 6v3 matchup at all. Bring on Philly. Bring on Washington. Bring on Tampa. Bring on Boston. The Sabres are rolling.

I laugh at the people who use the whole "who wants them to sneak into 8th place and lose in the first round" argument. Statistically they might be "sneaking into 8th place" but there is absolutely no doubt the Sabres have been a Top 10, maybe even Top 5 team in the league since Jan 1st. It sucks that the first half of the season went so miserably, and I know the work isn't done yet, but no -- I'm not really scared of of a 8v1, 7v2, or 6v3 matchup at all. Bring on Philly. Bring on Washington. Bring on Tampa. Bring on Boston. The Sabres are rolling.

How about bring on Pittsburgh? They have a chance to catch Philly in points (albeit more games) when they play head-to-head this week.

Archived