Game Discussion Thread

Realist

I wish that they would stop trying to prompt crowd noise with the jumbotrons. Its like the crowd has become conditioned to only respond when prompted by whats on the screen.

They need to get some energetic people stationed in the sections to get the cheers going.

Sabertooth playing hide and seek with fans hats just don't cut It.

Just once I want to see a crowd react to that with dead silence, then sit back as the meter builds up anyway.

I hope Pegs has put these guys on notice and is keeping a pen and notebook close by to keep track of who is going through the motions night in and night out.

I hope Pegs enjoys the games from his box and rubs elbows with the FC. I want him to enjoy his shiny new toy as much as possible, and keep his check signing hand limber. I don't want him doing player evaluations, and I don't think he wants to do that either.

I hope Black and Sawyer have their pen and notebook out, along with Darcy's notes with all the things he wanted to do that LQ and TG wouldn't allow. If Darcy's book is pretty thin, it may be a short honeymoon for him.

Seriously, I think that after 14 years of futility, Pegs must be thoroughly convinced that LQ and TG held DR back in a significant way.

I hope Pegs enjoys the games from his box and rubs elbows with the FC. I want him to enjoy his shiny new toy as much as possible, and keep his check signing hand limber. I don't want him doing player evaluations, and I don't think he wants to do that either.

I hope Black and Sawyer have their pen and notebook out, along with Darcy's notes with all the things he wanted to do that LQ and TG wouldn't allow. If Darcy's book is pretty thin, it may be a short honeymoon for him.

Seriously, I think that after 14 years of futility, Pegs must be thoroughly convinced that LQ and TG held DR back in a significant way.

You are right. When I said Pegs, it should have been directed more at Black and Sawyer. That doesn't change the fact that the team didn't seem to build off the emotion of the pregame ceremony and any meetings Pegs had with them over the last day or two.

You are right. When I said Pegs, it should have been directed more at Black and Sawyer. That doesn't change the fact that the team didn't seem to build off the emotion of the pregame ceremony and any meetings Pegs had with them over the last day or two.

I agree with all of this, and am disappointed that the rumor wires aren't all abuzz with Sabre related content.

March 14, 2003 was the date of the presser with Bettman introducing Golisano. But that was after Golisano signed an agreement to buy the team for $92 million -- it had to be approved by bankruptcy court and the board of governors. I don't think he officially owned the team until after the season.

Anyway, the Sabres lost to the Lightning, 4-2, that night at home.

The next fall they lost both their road and home openers, getting shut out in each game.

It's very confusing when trying to find out when the Rigases officially owned the Sabres, as the process of buying out all the various former investors dragged out for a long time.

Thanks, appreciate the effort.

I think that this is most likely the case, but I also think TP isn't the sort of guy who would come in and immediately fire everyone. He got a good enough report on DR from his discussions with hockey people that he's willing to give him, I'd guess, the rest of this season plus next season to show real progress.

I agree with all of this, and am disappointed that the rumor wires aren't all abuzz with Sabre related content.

The fact that they aren't is probably a good thing. Usually when the Sabres get mentioned nothing happens. Let the wires be quiet, maybe wheels are actually turning.

The fact that they aren't is probably a good thing. Usually when the Sabres get mentioned nothing happens. Let the wires be quiet, maybe wheels are actually turning.

Better the rumor wires than the fairy tale scenarios being discussed simultaneously in 6 different threads on this board. :thumbdown:

Better the rumor wires than the fairy tale scenarios being discussed simultaneously in 6 different threads on this board. :thumbdown:

Yeah, I'd like to hear the Sabres involved in rumors, but i mean actual rumors, not Eklund which everybody mistakes for rumors. We all know the drill by now... if Eklund reports it, it's not true... but if real hockey people are throwing their name around, there might be something happening.

Yeah, I'd like to hear the Sabres involved in rumors, but i mean actual rumors, not Eklund which everybody mistakes for rumors. We all know the drill by now... if Eklund reports it, it's not true... but if real hockey people are throwing their name around, there might be something happening.

Eklund would be a step up in reliability from some of this stuff. People are just throwing out what they wish would happen.

Well yeah, I think that's the point of most of their posts... nobody is saying "HEY I HEARD THIS IS GONNA HAPPEN..." It's just fun to speculate.

Yeah, for example, I'm not stating "Stastny to Buffalo (C3)." I'm thinking "it would be nice to see a big move, Darcy has said that they are looking for trades to help with the future, the purse strings have been loosened, we have a lot of cap room, we need a #1 center, and there's rumors that Stastny might be available, but that his $6.6 million cap hit for three years would be the sticking point for most takers. Hmmm ... I wonder if ... would be nice ... probably won't happen ... fun to talk/think about ... post it!" I don't expect it to happen, though I don't think it's impossible either (maybe with the previous owner, but not now.)

Yeah, for example, I'm not stating "Stastny to Buffalo (C3)." I'm thinking "it would be nice to see a big move, Darcy has said that they are looking for trades to help with the future, the purse strings have been loosened, we have a lot of cap room, we need a #1 center, and there's rumors that Stastny might be available, but that his $6.6 million cap hit for three years would be the sticking point for most takers. Hmmm ... I wonder if ... would be nice ... probably won't happen ... fun to talk/think about ... post it!" I don't expect it to happen, though I don't think it's impossible either (maybe with the previous owner, but not now.)

I'd take him at that number. He could play between Vanek, Stafford for finesse, or on a wrecking line between Kassian and Foligno in a year.

Besides, I get to say Stastny. I'm an old Adams division guy. :lol:

I think that this is most likely the case, but I also think TP isn't the sort of guy who would come in and immediately fire everyone. He got a good enough report on DR from his discussions with hockey people that he's willing to give him, I'd guess, the rest of this season plus next season to show real progress.

Ok, shame on me for slamming DR in the past. I got to thinking about some things today. Hear me out.

When Darcy got hired on back in 1997 (man, that was a long time ago!), it wasn't long before the Sabres became serious contenders to where we were a goal short of going to Game 7 in 1999. Granted, the Knox family basically handed over the reigns to the Rigas clan shortly before Regier came on board. The Rigases then got rid of one obstacle that might have interfered with hockey operations - Larry Quinn.

After the lockout, look at where we were. Picked up a few key acquisitions, and almost made it to the Finals in 2006 and 2007. After that, things started going south, with much of the blame being placed on Darcy and possible Larry for dismantling the chemistry.

Now that we have a new owner who is passionate and serious about the game (and with Larry Quinn out of the picture), I have no doubts that Darcy is going to be like a shark on blood. Will he pull off a Butch Goring type trade? Probably not to that extent. But I really do see a big improvement on the types of players coming into this organization, given that it looks like Darcy will actually be given free reign to do what he was hired to do in the first place all those years ago.

BTW, as an aside, how many coaches and GMs can say that they've been around a team long enough to see at least three different owners?

Archived