GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

To be fair to Connolly in the last few games he has blocked shots and generally looked like he cares but I can't take the give aways at crucial times of a game anymore. This has been an on going problem with him all year. He brings down the powerplay and takes what little advantage we have and hands it right back . When he was out of the line up the powerplay was cooking. Back in, not so much.

Yes I also noticed this right after he came back and Lindy put him on the PP but held off making that assertion. I think with the body of work we have seen now with Timmy there is some truth to this. When it was clicking well w/o him wasn't it Vanek who said they were being successful just keeping it simple getting shots on goal and pucks to the net.

Just got back from the game and WOW, was that boring..I mean BORING. The Sabres never wanted any part of that game and the passing was just awful. Give it to the Leafs, they outplayed them all game long. Hey, Buffalo got a great win last night and tonight was just bad from top to bottom. Canes lost and the next 5 are at home so whatever....

Oh yea, Niedermayer and Kaleta need to sit. One is awful and one is not healthy...

I was also at the game and agree with you. To address a much discussed issue of how loud the arena is, I believe the TV mics are either not placed properly, they are turned too low, or are brought up and down depending on what is going on. While the crowd is too quiet, it is not nearly as bad as the TV broadcast makes it seem. Is it possible that LQ ordered the mics be turned down so in case there is any booing going on towards the Sabres, so it doesn't pass thru to the broadcast?

Big part of the problem...crowd makeup. Middle age women and kids just don't make that much noise.

Maybe its just me, but it seems like every time I see crowd shots in Boston and Philly for example, I see nothing but 20-40 year old males going nuts after a goal is scored.

they score 1 and get ripped, they score 6 and get ripped. can the goalie ever do no wrong?

everyone wants to run connolly out of town for failing consistantly at his job yet everyone makes excuses for miller for failing at his job

i just don't get it.

Define "failing". Allowing more than one goal a game? Allowing any goals? The best goalie in the league still has a GAA of >2. Miller let in two last night, so he was better than the best goalie's average goals against. So it is his fault that the team in front of him could only score a single goal? What I don't get is everyone suddenly blaming Miller's "lousy play" every time the team loses. I've said it before, I'll say it again: hockey is a TEAM sport. It's all connected. Your offense has to score more goals that your defense allows.

I don't want to make excuses for any player on the team, Miller included, but this was a team loss.

Oh, and regard to earlier comments about the defense as compared to last year - Tony Lydman leads the league in plus-minus at +27. Maybe missing him and Tallinder is one of the reasons Miller is playing "so poorly" this year. Just a thought....

Define "failing". Allowing more than one goal a game? Allowing any goals? The best goalie in the league still has a GAA of >2. Miller let in two last night, so he was better than the best goalie's average goals against. So it is his fault that the team in front of him could only score a single goal? What I don't get is everyone suddenly blaming Miller's "lousy play" every time the team loses. I've said it before, I'll say it again: hockey is a TEAM sport. It's all connected. Your offense has to score more goals that your defense allows.

I don't want to make excuses for any player on the team, Miller included, but this was a team loss.

Oh, and regard to earlier comments about the defense as compared to last year - Tony Lydman leads the league in plus-minus at +27. Maybe missing him and Tallinder is one of the reasons Miller is playing "so poorly" this year. Just a thought....

I thought Miller played pretty good last night, even he admitted he made a mistake on that shorty. I think you hit the nail on the head about Lydman and Tallinder, those guys were a lot better than we gave them credit for. Myers certainly missed Tallinder as his partner out there this year.

Miller is not going to have a fantastic game every night, this team has to score more than a goal a game. They aren't going to shut anyone out 1-0 all the time. (I do know that Miller was absolutely horrible on Sunday.)

I still want Tim Connolly off the team.

When you pay 4.5 mill. for a player you never notice is missing when he's injured, he clearly needs to go.

The fact that the team plays consistently better when he's out just makes it even more ridiculous.

Cut Tim - Addition by subtraction.

Let's see whether this team is now mature and professional enough not to have a letdown tonight. This game -- coming back home after a huge road win to face a crappy team that they "should" beat -- is one in which the Sabres have delivered a mediocre-to-poor performance roughly 90% of the time since Drury left.

I agree with this post but that crappy team we faced that we should beat is only two points behind us. What does that make us? Lets face it,this team just isn't that good,

The Devils are also flying up the standings as well. They're a ridiculous 13-1-2 over their last 16 and certainly have enough time to catch someone. BTW - Hank has been a +14 over that stretch for the Devils.

...and what a novel concept. They have a backup goalie who can step in and win games(Hedberg is 4-0 allowing 6 goals in those games).

PS You had to know that Devils would get hot. They have way too much talent on the team to be a cellar dweller.

...and what a novel concept. They have a backup goalie who can step in and win games(Hedberg is 4-0 allowing 6 goals in those games).

PS You had to know that Devils would get hot. They have way too much talent on the team to be a cellar dweller.

Jacques Lemaire's GD Trap has something to do with that, as well. The ruination of hockey.

I still want Tim Connolly off the team.

When you pay 4.5 mill. for a player you never notice is missing when he's injured, he clearly needs to go.

The fact that the team plays consistently better when he's out just makes it even more ridiculous.

Doubt they'll cut him, but I think they'll trade him at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Hopefully more.

Waive? No such thing as "cutting a player" in the NHL. If he passed through waivers, they'd be paying him $4.5 million (prorated, of course) to play in the AHL. Even if he wouldn't clear, I'd rather try to trade him for something than let him get claimed for nothing.

Doubt they'll cut him, but I think they'll trade him at the deadline for a 3rd or 4th round pick. Hopefully more.

Given the trade market for centers, it won't be impossible to land a 2nd round pick for Tim Connolly at the deadline. I hope the Sabres have the guts to do it (and, yes, I think they'll be better for losing him).

Given the trade market for centers, it won't be impossible to land a 2nd round pick for Tim Connolly at the deadline. I hope the Sabres have the guts to do it (and, yes, I think they'll be better for losing him).

He'll get a second at least, should they shop him.

Problem is that trading him leaves this team stupidly thin up the middle. Last night for example, nobody could make a clean entry, Leopold and Butler probably made a third of them (yikes), but Timmy for all his lack of lustre is still the best at it.

Ennis can do it. But he was playing by himself last night.

Problem is that trading him leaves this team stupidly thin up the middle. Last night for example, nobody could make a clean entry, Leopold and Butler probably made a third of them (yikes), but Timmy for all his lack of lustre is still the best at it.

We're stupidly thin up the middle with him. The guy isn't effective at all. But he's got a track record that would give him some value on the trade market, and we're going to lose him this summer anyway. Might as well cash him in now for a 2nd round pick.

Plus, it's just more fun to see Paul Byron and Luke Adam play. Are they that great right now? No, but I'd rather roll the dice with them and see what happens this spring.

Yeah, that is exactly it. As much as most want to see Timmy gone, with Roy out for the year it'd be hard to replace two veteran centers down the stretch. I think if we move Timmy we'll need a center in return (via trade or in a separate deal). I like Adam, but he was in the QMJHL last year... it is a little early to bank on him.

IMO it is VERY shortsighted to keep Timmy and forego whatever return he brings. Yeah, we'll probably need the depth for the playoff run, but I'd rather sacrifice this years if it means a benefit that will be realized by the team for a number of years (draft pick, whether it gets used by Buffalo or traded for another player later).

Now, if Darcy is thinking of multiple moves to bolster the team for the playoffs this year and (hopefully) beyond I could agree with keeping him short term. But I don't see that happening.

They could trade him for a player rather than for a pick. I'd prefer that. Let's see Darcy pull off another Gratton.

Waive? No such thing as "cutting a player" in the NHL. If he passed through waivers, they'd be paying him $4.5 million (prorated, of course) to play in the AHL. Even if he wouldn't clear, I'd rather try to trade him for something than let him get claimed for nothing.

Yeah, by cutting I guess I mean trade, bench, scratch, waive, send down to Portland, trip him up going down the stairs, poison his pre-game meals, whatever to keep him off the ice.

That's how little I ever want to see him on this team again.

I agree this team is thin on centers, but again - Playing Tim does NOT make this team better, so who cares if he plays center? He can't win a faceoff anyways.

I'll never in my life understand Regier's and Ruff's mancrushes on this bum.

Archived