Wow- What happened to the powerplay?

Weave

I guess it happened quietly enough that I didn't notice it.

I find it very interesting that the powerplay has really come to life while our two "top 20 centers" were taking turns down and out.

Mike harrington wrote about it yesterday in BN. Read me

Since Dec. 1, the Sabres are at 32.6 percent at home and 25.5 percent overall. Want some comparison? The NHL overall leader for the season is Chicago at 24.9 percent; at home, the Blackhawks lead at 27 percent. The Sabres are above both of those figures for more than two months.

I found this point rather interesting.

The Sabres are 15-9-2 since the calendar turned to December and are 10-4-1 in their last 15 games to get back into the playoff race. During this run, they've done a much better job of puck possession, and that's especially true on the power play, even without injured centers Derek Roy and Tim Connolly.
Sez alot about the mishandling of the puck and giveaways that Roy and Connolly are notorious for.

It has been looking good. I've noticed more player movement than before. They seem to be passing the puck and rotating everyone around, rinse, repeat. This makes the defenders lose the shot lane and/or position on the player. Sooner or later they have a good shot.

It's not being over handled, which is a good thing. Get it, move it quick, shoot it.

It has been looking good. I've noticed more player movement than before. They seem to be passing the puck and rotating everyone around, rinse, repeat. This makes the defenders lose the shot lane and/or position on the player. Sooner or later they have a good shot.

I think chz is right, at least from what I've seen. They cycled the puck plenty against Toronto the other night and it worked really well.

Unfortunately, the other team has scored on over 10% of our powerplays (10/96).

According to stats (from here) we've allowed 10 SHG on 187 powerplay opportunities (5.3%) and since 12/1 allowed 5 SHG on 90 powerplay opportunities (5.5%).

For reference, the league average this season is 2.4% SHGA/PPOPP.

If our PP system is sacrificing a worsening of SHGA of 1.9% from league average for an improvement in PP success to 25.5% (compared to the league average 17.9%), I'll take it.

Sez alot about the mishandling of the puck and giveaways that Roy and Connolly are notorious for.

Not mishandling IMO as much as passing up the shots for a better shots that never happen.

Get the frickin puck down low to Vanek. That's what's going to open everything up. Not dancing around.

According to stats (from here) we've allowed 10 SHG on 187 powerplay opportunities (5.3%) and since 12/1 allowed 5 SHG on 90 powerplay opportunities (5.5%).

For reference, the league average this season is 2.4% SHGA/PPOPP.

If our PP system is sacrificing a worsening of SHGA of 1.9% from league average for an improvement in PP success to 25.5% (compared to the league average 17.9%), I'll take it.

Ah, you're right - I took the number of HOME power play opportunities as the base rate instead of the overall total. We've had 96 home power play opportunities with 91 on the road. (We are dead last in the NHL in short handed goals given up per power play opportunities though) Good catch of my faulty mathematics!

Archived