DiPofi may be staying for the 11-12 season

LabattBlue

I'm not going to claim I know what DiPofi is involved with behind the scenes, whether it is contracts, game day experience, ticket pricing, concessions or anything else, but I guess we can only wait and see.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/inside-the-nhl/article333326.ece

Given DiPofi's background as no nonsense bean counter I would take him at his word on the role.

"It's the pros and cons, how we could enhance and make something work, and the pitfalls," he said. "It was making sure everybody goes in there with their eyes open. I'm assuming, and it will take more discussions with Terry and his people, that's the same type of thing I'll be offering. I've done this for a long time and know this business very well. I can offer a lot. Advice is free. You can take it or leave it."

The key is how you spend your money. It's been said and written a million times. How do you spend your money? You can only spend so much. It really comes down to making the right decisions. That's what it's all about

So my guess would be he will continue to be the expert on the finances, how to account for the cap how to get relief, ways to structure debt and or pay obligations. Whats the margins on the operations and arena etc, etc.

Makes sense that this guy had a lot to do with TG and LQ making it a profitable endeavor.

This is a smart move by TP. Dan has a lot of experience and knowledge about what needs to be done to keep a franchise functioning from both an operational and financial standpoint. He's the Scotty to Larry's Kirk. He quietly functions behind the scenes, keeping things running, while Larry is always looking for "bold" things that will make him look good (though, Kirk was more successful at it.) Because Dan has kept a low profile, few associate him with the status quo quartet (TG, LQ, DR, LR), so keeping him on shouldn't upset disgruntled fans and will allow TG to keep his knowledge within the organization. They may choose to part ways at some point, but for now, he's a good bridge element for the transition.

This is a smart move by TP. Dan has a lot of experience and knowledge about what needs to be done to keep a franchise functioning from both an operational and financial standpoint. He's the Scotty to Larry's Kirk. He quietly functions behind the scenes, keeping things running, while Larry is always looking for "bold" things that will make him look good (though, Kirk was more successful at it.) Because Dan has kept a low profile, few associate him with the status quo quartet (TG, LQ, DR, LR), so keeping him on shouldn't upset disgruntled fans and will allow TG to keep his knowledge within the organization. They may choose to part ways at some point, but for now, he's a good bridge element for the transition.

And it seems like DiPofi played a key role in making the organization the financial success that it currently is. Now I know there's the common idea out there that Pegula is in this for the cups, but at the end of the day, he definitely won't mind if they're making money at the same time.

Here's a revenue enhancement idea: Hold an annual "border war" outdoor game with the Leafs at RWS.

PTR

Dealing with 9000 Leaves fans at a regular game is enough. I don't want to have to deal with 40,000 of them at RWS.

probably nothing. Look at the past few years record. Leaf fans have to know that they will usually go home unhappy (i.e. winless) Yet they still come.

Definitely nothing. Down 5-2, the kid behind me on Saturday noted that he was there for the last loss (he remembered me), was there that night, and will be there again on the 16th.

Speaking of that, I wonder what TP can do to end this travesty at the arena?

Sorry. If a Leafs fan is willing to give you 4X face value for a game you can't make anyway, what do you expect a season ticket holder to do? Selling the those three leafs games will cover 20% of your season ticket costs. Besides it doesn't seem to help Toronto play any better.

PTR

Sorry. If a Leafs fan is willing to give you 4X face value for a game you can't make anyway, what do you expect a season ticket holder to do? Selling the those three leafs games will cover 20% of your season ticket costs. Besides it doesn't seem to help Toronto play any better.

PTR

And they're going to jump all over any tickets for sale to the public through the box office right away. They know they can't get to a game in Toronto, so they have to jump at whatever opportunity they can get. There's nothing the team can ever do about it. They can't try that stupid Carolina approach of limiting sales to only NY residents because that's cutting off a significant portion of their market in southern Ontario.

Uh yeah...all those tens of unsold seats are sending a message. :rolleyes:

PTR

A fan-base fearful of losing a professional sports franchise will do that for you. As you can tell by the morgue like crowds at the HSBC it certainly isn't the quality of the entertainment that brings people in, much like the Bills.

BTW, catch any lighting lately?

A fan-base fearful of losing a professional sports franchise will do that for you. As you can tell by the morgue like crowds at the HSBC it certainly isn't the quality of the entertainment that brings people in, much like the Bills.

Hockey is fun.

When I go, nobody looks particularly fearful.

Sorry, but making even a remote connection between Larry Quinn and Captain James T. Kirk has me choking... kind of like comparing Tony the Pony to Secretariat. Otherwise, I agree....

Hockey is fun.

When I go, nobody looks particularly fearful.

The people complaining don't go to games, X; it is useless to argue with them. Sure, we have sell-out crowds because the city is fearful of losing its team. Riiiiight.

Archived