Golisano rebuffed intial offer early last year...

SDS

So, Bucky did have something right - This is Pegula's 2nd go around in trying to buy the team. Why was the 1st one rebuffed?

I can only come up with 2 reasons:

1. TG was actually making enough of a profit to keep it...

or

2. LQ didn't want to let it go, despite the windfall he would have received.

Regardless of TG's claim that he is a hockey fan, I think he would have sold if he could have received LQ's support. Only after LQ's health became an issue, did the team decide it was suddenly the "right time" to sell.

Opinions?

He wanted more then Pegula was offering at that point.

I don't think so, because they went back to Pegs... It's not like Pegs came back several months later with a sweetened deal to reconsider. My sense was TG was always ready to cash out if the right buyer came along, yet he declined.

Maybe they didn't want the sale to distract from the season.

First contact was about this time last year. Called TP back "a few months" later. Could have been after the playoffs. Timing seems right.

Interesting that things got serious six-seven months before it got into the media. What exactly was going on all that time?

I think it was purely due to Quinn having health problems. Golisano was doing alright financially with the team so he didn't need to sell them. Believe it or not - I do think Golisano cares about WNY and would do what he needed to do to keep the team in the area. But Quinn obviously had a strong say in all matters related to the Sabres and with his health problems he decided it was time to sell and convinced Golisano.

Maybe they didn't want the sale to distract from the season.

First contact was about this time last year. Called TP back "a few months" later. Could have been after the playoffs. Timing seems right.

Rejected.

They could have kept it quiet until after the season. They claim to have said, "no thank you" and had to call Pegs back to see if there was still interest. Slightly inconvenient timing doesn't explain this.

Next...

So, Bucky did have something right - This is Pegula's 2nd go around in trying to buy the team. Why was the 1st one rebuffed?

or

Regardless of TG's claim that he is a hockey fan, I think he would have sold if he could have received LQ's support. Only after LQ's health became an issue, did the team decide it was suddenly the "right time" to sell.

Opinions?

#2 is certainly believable.

I don't think so, because they went back to Pegs... It's not like Pegs came back several months later with a sweetened deal to reconsider. My sense was TG was always ready to cash out if the right buyer came along, yet he declined.

He wasn't sure if he was the right buyer because there might have been another buyer out there who wanted to keep the team in town and would also pay more. Once he realized that there was no other offer like that, it was time to turn back to him and really get into the negotiation game.

It seems like a perfectly plausible scenario to me.

Tom said "personal circumstances" played into the decision to go back to Pegula and get serious. (And I'm pretty sure he said later in the presser he was referring to personal circumstances of all three, he, Larry and Dan.)

So -- initial interest "just short of a year ago," month or two later said no, "several months" after that went back to Terry. That does close up the window of time quite a bit when you think about it.

These guys are so goddamned obsessed with money, I still suspect they said no before the Sabres flamed out, wondering if they could win a Cup and squeeze some more money out of the thing for a year or two more.

Tom said "personal circumstances" played into the decision to go back to Pegula and get serious. (And I'm pretty sure he said later in the presser he was referring to personal circumstances of all three, he, Larry and Dan.)

So -- initial interest "just short of a year ago," month or two later said no, "several months" after that went back to Terry. That does close up the window of time quite a bit when you think about it.

These guys are so goddamned obsessed with money, I still suspect they said no before the Sabres flamed out, wondering if they could win a Cup and squeeze some more money out of the thing for a year or two more.

U mean it's not Lindy's fault? Glad u turned the corner.

My guess is that there are some tax implications in the offing and he wanted out before they kick in fully. The times are a changing and taxes are going to go up. Both at the state level and the federal level.

Any basis whatsoever for this theory?

Not wanting to lose millions of dollars per year does not equal being obsessed with money.

Would you like it if someone else was free and easy with throwing away your money on his entertainment?

U mean it's not Lindy's fault? Glad u turned the corner.

very nice.

My guess is that there is some tax implications in the offing and he wanted out before they kick in fully. The times are a changing and taxes are going to go up. Both at the state level and the federal level.

Neither NYS nor federal taxes are going up this year.

or

Opinions?

# 2 is my take.

Yeah that goes a long with number 2 and a LQ posturing/position, lets not forget the little thing called World Juniors that just occurred and finished prior in which according to post event sources they also managed to net a few million more before they got it done.

Neither NYS nor federal taxes are going up this year.

idk.. nys has a pretty huge budget deficit to close. It's not an election year. Erie county is a mess. Something or someone has gots to give..

This is what he says now.

"Gov. Andrew Cuomo presented his $132.9 billion proposed budget to the state legislature on Feb. 1, 2011.[10] If the legislature approves the budget, it would reduce spending by 2.7% and be the first spending decrease by the state since 1997.[10]

Gov. Cuomo's budget proposes laying off 9,800 state workers and cutting $1.5 billion education and $1 billion Medicaid to close a $10 billion deficit.[10] He proposed no new or increased taxes.[10] There were two minor fee increases expected to raise $19.5 million. Cuomo proposed a horse racing purse surcharge of 2.75 percent and an increase in an unexplained "clearance registrar fee," to $60 from $5.[10]" Source Sunshine Review

I still don't believe him. There are some big medical bills coming to roost.

idk.. nys has a pretty huge budget deficit to close. It's not an election year. Erie county is a mess. Something or someone has gots to give..

I agree with this, and I have no knowledge about Erie County, but I think it's already been made clear that NYS taxes aren't going to rise this year.

I don't know but i was wondering that also, SDS. However, to a similar point towards this topic, and i believe Brad Riter said this last night, but, Pegula got rejected by Golisano and he just went home. He's a die heart hockey fan and really has a massive desire to own a hockey club. When Golisano rejected him, he just went home and stayed silent. He didn't try to go and buy another team, like Nashville, Coyotes, Islanders, Stars, or whoever else is on sale right now, he just waited. When Sabres called, he immediately got interest again. To me, that is very cool.... yes, he wanted to own a hockey team, but not just ANY team, he wanted to own OUR hockey team, he wanted the BUFFALO SABRES. I totally think thats is so cool.

TG originally said no, because he figured he'd make more money by waiting a rew years (not condemning him, just noting that's a standard business strategy), but when LQ developed heart problems, TG figured it would make more sense to sell than to have to deal with the team himself if LQ died or was incapacitated..

Any basis whatsoever for this theory?

Not wanting to lose millions of dollars per year does not equal being obsessed with money.

Would you like it if someone else was free and easy with throwing away your money on his entertainment?

very nice.

Is this not the only reason we care the team is being sold?

Archived