For those that BOO Drury & Briere since they left town

Mike Oxhurtz

I don't boo either of them. It's not their fault they left. And even though he is an insane shcizo freak, I don't think it's all Darcy Regier's fault they both got let go, either. Mr. Golisano, the tightwad, and Larry Quinn, his Yes Man, deserve the blame. All he ever wanted from owning this team was to make a profit and bail out. Of course, Golisano did do us all a favor by saving our team. We HAD to put up with this BS. TG was all about business, and anyone who runs a business can see his standpoint, even if you don't agree with it. I just PRAY to the Hockey Gods that Mr. Pegula will keep the pocketbook open wide enough to build us a Stanley Cup winner.

Wait, I though Ralph was cheap?

Not only is letting them leave disgusting by playing petty games over $500K with Briere, and then hanging Drury out to dry for 2 weeks then coming back to him after he led the team to 5 wins and the top of the NHL standings during that period they ignored him......but any "good eye" Darcy showed by trading for those two becomes negated because he didn't have the confidence in himself to lock those two into long term contracts while they were still reasonable.

If Darcy really thought he made great trades, he would have rewarded those guys for their improving play and at the same time, take a risk on his own opinion. But he didn't, because Darcy doesn't make the market....he let's the market tell him what to do.

Per Roby yesterday morning, these were not Regier's decisions to make.

The way I heard it was Drury walked out on the Sabres after getting an offer from his beloved Rangers. He turned his back on the Sabres knowing that a contract offer was in place from management. I will continue to boo the traitor whenever I get the opportunity.

The way I heard it was Drury walked out on the Sabres after getting an offer from his beloved Rangers. He turned his back on the Sabres knowing that a contract offer was in place from management. I will continue to boo the traitor whenever I get the opportunity.

Actually, Drury agreed to a contract extension with the Sabres at the start of the 2006-2007 season. But the team got cold feet and pulled it before he could sign. And he was left wondering what happened and where he stood with the team.

So after that, I wouldn't blame him for wanting to move on. What was he supposed to do? The Rangers rush in as soon as free agency starts, tell him he's the most important player they can think of, and then offer him an enormous contract. And you wanted him to shrug off the Rangers so that he could trust the Sabres (run by an owner who doesn't care, a hockey illiterate land developer who can't develop any land, and a GM who picked Afinogenov and Kotalik over Dumont) to match the Rangers' offer and get the job done. This after they jerked him around with his contract just a few months prior.

He made the right decision. So did Briere. The Sabres are a poorly-run franchise. Unfortunately, Buffalonians seem to think that every pro athlete who comes to town should be loyal to these teams for the rest of their lives no matter how they're treated. Real life doesn't work that way.

Actually, Drury agreed to a contract extension with the Sabres at the start of the 2006-2007 season. But the team got cold feet and pulled it before he could sign. And he was left wondering what happened and where he stood with the team.

So after that, I wouldn't blame him for wanting to move on. What was he supposed to do? The Rangers rush in as soon as free agency starts, tell him he's the most important player they can think of, and then offer him an enormous contract. And you wanted him to shrug off the Rangers so that he could trust the Sabres (run by an owner who doesn't care, a hockey illiterate land developer who can't develop any land, and a GM who picked Afinogenov and Kotalik over Dumont) to match the Rangers' offer and get the job done. This after they jerked him around with his contract just a few months prior.

He made the right decision. So did Briere. The Sabres are a poorly-run franchise. Unfortunately, Buffalonians seem to think that every pro athlete who comes to town should be loyal to these teams for the rest of their lives no matter how they're treated. Real life doesn't work that way.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I would never have booed Drury/Briere for leaving. I know the problem was in the front office.

I would boo Briere for going to Philly, however. I hate Philly and everyone associated with that club. Briere is dead to me unless he moves to another team.

Vanek-Man Wrote:

Golisano has always kept the same tune. Check this interview out with Elliott Friedmann from 2008.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC's_Hockey_Night_in_Canada/Inside_Hockey/1239560253/ID=1237779111

Changed link, it is now good.

We heard a much different Golisano today.

This video is very interesting.

Blame the front office all you want but Drury walked out on this team knowing that a contract awaited him. He has since faded into mediocrity playing for his Rangers.

There is a certain contingent that recognizes that Drury wasn't that much of a loss. We live in shadows, in secret. If you're ever on Pearl Street, near the Arena, after a game, the password is "Intangible."

There is a certain contingent that recognizes that Drury wasn't that much of a loss. We live in shadows, in secret. If you're ever on Pearl Street, near the Arena, after a game, the password is "Intangible."

:lol:

No wonder we are such a small crowd, I've been using "Little League World Series." over on Cobblestone.

He did tell the media "I always wanted to be a Ranger". Exactly what kind of Ranger? Anyway, Drury would have stayed if they had just gave him what he wanted. He was worth whatever salary he was asking for AT THE TIME.

Blame the front office all you want but Drury walked out on this team knowing that a contract awaited him. He has since faded into mediocrity playing for his Rangers.

The only reason people blame the front office is that it was 99% the front office's fault.

But, hey, why question the front office? Everything else they've done since July 1, 2007, has turned out so super great. <_<

Besides the fact that he pretty much clearly said that winning is irrelevant, you just don't feel the passion in his voice do you? He doesn't speak like someone who has a vested interest in the team, he almost always sounds defensive. I'm with the majority i feel. Thanks for saving the team, thanks for selling it to someone who it seems does care. When the first peep you hear from the new owner is, "As die-hard Sabre fans" that's gotta make you happy.

The only reason people blame the front office is that it was 99% the front office's fault.

But, hey, why question the front office? Everything else they've done since July 1, 2007, has turned out so super great. <_<

Now I didn't say the front office was super great at all, did I? But it is just my personal opinion that Chris Drury, knowing that a contract would be forthcoming and agreeing to sign that contract, walked out on this franchise. But look, a new era is set to begin, I think we can both agree that we hope this kind of stuff is behind us and we build a Cup champion team in the near future.

Bingo.

Now I didn't say the front office was super great at all, did I?

OK, so you acknowledge that our front office is terrible.

But it is just my personal opinion that Chris Drury, knowing that a contract would be forthcoming and agreeing to sign that contract, walked out on this franchise.

And this is the problem! Did he know a contract was forthcoming? He had a contract forthcoming from these same people before. He'd even agreed to it! Then they just never sent it over for him to sign, and never offered any explanation.

After that, would you trust this front office? Even with another team doing everything they can to make you a part of their organization and giving you a dream offer?

I think you're asking a lot for Chris Drury to give the Sabres the benefit of the doubt after how his last season in Buffalo went.

But look, a new era is set to begin, I think we can both agree that we hope this kind of stuff is behind us and we build a Cup champion team in the near future.

Absolutely right. I'm very excited about Terry Pegula and the new chapter in Sabres history.

We're never going to know exactly how it went down. We still don't know who killed Kennedy!

Maybe 100 years after all parties have died...

Tom did say something previously that rings true with me. He said there were discussions with Drury and his agent, but they never went beyond that -- discussions.

I still don't understand why Drury would have been in a rush to sign anything. And as his season and the Sabres' season got better and better, it could very well have been his side that dragged its skates.

This story is the gift that keeps on giving!

Boy, I'd sure like to make $1.25 million and have my biggest responsibility to be making sure Luke Adam's monthly Greyhound ticket is in order.

Oh for Pete's sake. The DR bashing has spiraled out of control Do you not think most NHL GMs have to get the owner's approval for $25MM contracts?

Criticize him all you like for overpaying Pommer and Hecht, for drafting Barrett Heisten, for Rivet, Niedermayer, etc. But it's a bit silly to call him a eunuch for not being able to spend TG's dollars freely.

Well, I'm glad we got the full truth on this today ... "those two could have chosen to stay." :rolleyes:

I found that LQ gem particularly annoying.

The fact that he hasn't done well for the Rangers doesn't mean that he wasn't important here. He left a big hole when he left. Butchering that contract was a huge mistake (although not locking up Briere when it was possible was equally huge).

Archived