For those that BOO Drury & Briere since they left town

Mike Oxhurtz

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/bucky-gleason/article330388.ece

"It was Regier, I'm told, who in the days after Chris Drury left town after the Sabres reneged on a verbal agreement, and Daniel Briere was kicked to the curb even though he wasn't asking for a raise, worried most about people viewing him as a dishonest man."

It baffles me that Sabres fans boo Drury & Briere whenever they come back to play at the HSBC arena, especially when they wanted to stay in Buffalo and were shown the door by Regier & Co.

I don't blame Ruff for turning down a contract extension this past year when Sabres management keeps letting good quality players go and expects him to work miracles and keep recycling new players.

http://www.buffalone...ticle330388.ece

"It was Regier, I'm told, who in the days after Chris Drury left town after the Sabres reneged on a verbal agreement, and Daniel Briere was kicked to the curb even though he wasn't asking for a raise, worried most about people viewing him as a dishonest man."

It baffles me that Sabres fans boo Drury & Briere whenever they come back to play at the HSBC arena, especially when they wanted to stay in Buffalo and were shown the door by Regier & Co.

I don't blame Ruff for turning down a contract extension this past year when Sabres management keeps letting good quality players go and expects him to work miracles and keep recycling new players.

Wanted to stay? Couldn't they both have signed with Buffalo on July 1?

Not only is letting them leave disgusting by playing petty games over $500K with Briere, and then hanging Drury out to dry for 2 weeks then coming back to him after he led the team to 5 wins and the top of the NHL standings during that period they ignored him......but any "good eye" Darcy showed by trading for those two becomes negated because he didn't have the confidence in himself to lock those two into long term contracts while they were still reasonable.

If Darcy really thought he made great trades, he would have rewarded those guys for their improving play and at the same time, take a risk on his own opinion. But he didn't, because Darcy doesn't make the market....he let's the market tell him what to do.

Wanted to stay? Couldn't they both have signed with Buffalo on July 1?

Good GM's/Management resign their good/(core) players before their contracts are up and don't wait until their contracts are expired to negiotiate a new contract. That's piss poor management, that has set back the Sabres and has yet to recover from.

Blaming ownership doesn't work anymore since they're headed out of town, so let's revise history and blame the guy who is still here. We have to sell papers somehow.

While we can thank Golisano for saving the team from the thieving Regis family who bankrupted the team, and I do, I am glad to see him leave because I have been disgusted with the team since July 1, 2007. Golisano is not interested is winning a championship, he is only interested in the team from a financial standpoint, so I am very thankful to him (again) that he is selling the team to a Sabres fan that wants to win championships. Now, if Ralph Wilson would do the same, then all will be good in the universe.

Not only is letting them leave disgusting by playing petty games over $500K with Briere, and then hanging Drury out to dry for 2 weeks then coming back to him after he led the team to 5 wins and the top of the NHL standings during that period they ignored him......but any "good eye" Darcy showed by trading for those two becomes negated because he didn't have the confidence in himself to lock those two into long term contracts while they were still reasonable.

If Darcy really thought he made great trades, he would have rewarded those guys for their improving play and at the same time, take a risk on his own opinion. But he didn't, because Darcy doesn't make the market....he let's the market tell him what to do.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good GM's/Management resign their good/(core) players before their contracts are up and don't wait until their contracts are expired to negiotiate a new contract. That's piss poor management, that has set back the Sabres and has yet to recover from.

And sometimes players take a small risk and go for a payday.

While the fans (and maybe even ownership) wring their hands and regret what could have been, do you really think 23 or 48 spend one millisecond regretting what happened?

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/bucky-gleason/article330388.ece

I thought this was old news. We've known for a while that the team pulled a contract extension after Drury agreed to it and then put all their chips on Drury instead of Briere as 7/1/2007 was approaching.

And sometimes players take a small risk and go for a payday.

While the fans (and maybe even ownership) wring their hands and regret what could have been, do you really think 23 or 48 spend one millisecond regretting what happened?

After reading multiple interviews and stories about Drury & Briere, both guys wanted to stay here. If I were in their shoes and if the Sabres didn't offer me a contract extension at any point during the last year of my contract, I definitely would have went for the better offer once my contract was expired, anyone at that point would have went for the better offer. Regier & Sabres management dropped the ball on that one, not Drury & Briere. In a recent interview with Briere, he talked fondly about Pegula and hopes he buys the team, so it does sound like he spent sometime thinking about it.

I thought this was old news. We've known for a while that the team pulled a contract extension after Drury agreed to it and then put all their chips on Drury instead of Briere as 7/1/2007 was approaching.

Yeah, but now Bucky is suddenly pulling a 180 and placing all the blame squarely on Darcy's shoulders. I highly doubt that he suddenly came into this information on the day the news of that extension leaked out.

That part is, but the point is Regier was supposedly worried about having the fans know he's honest, yet he goes and signs a big extension as the team is in last place in the entire NHL, and Golisano and Quinn know that Pegula is hot to trot and about to sign a purchase agreement.

It's obviously a "parting gift"....no, not out of Larry and Tom's pocket, but Pegula's.

Maybe Pegula can pay Darcy the cash to drive his daughter back and forth from tennis practice?

That part is, but the point is Regier was supposedly worried about having the fans know he's honest, yet he goes and signs a big extension as the team is in last place in the entire NHL, and Golisano and Quinn know that Pegula is hot to trot and about to sign a purchase agreement.

It's obviously a "parting gift"....no, not out of Larry and Tom's pocket, but Pegula's.

Maybe Pegula can pay Darcy the cash to drive his daughter back and forth from tennis practice?

Weren't these extensions offered and completed last year, when the team was in the middle of winning their division? I doubt they seemed like "parting gifts" at the time.

First of all, they didn't know they'd complete the sale of the team. Second, the team didn't seem that bad when Regier signed his extension -- the goalie was winning the Vezina and we had a guy win NHL Rookie of the Year.

Yeah, but now Bucky is suddenly pulling a 180 and placing all the blame squarely on Darcy's shoulders.

I don't see that. He just said that Darcy was worried about how fans would think of him after the Sabres reneged on Drury and kicked Briere to the curb. It doesn't say that it was all his decision.

Anyway, I hope Darcy gets let go, so that there is nobody left to point to when bringing up Drury and Briere. It will be completely "the old group" that did it.

Weren't these extensions offered and completed last year, when the team was in the middle of winning their division? I doubt they seemed like "parting gifts" at the time.

First of all, they didn't know they'd complete the sale of the team. Second, the team didn't seem that bad when Regier signed his extension -- the goalie was winning the Vezina and we had a guy win NHL Rookie of the Year.

Last year as in 2010.

I still like them both.

I like both Drury & Briere and wish they were still on the team, along with JP Dumont, Zubrus, Tallinder & Lydman. I'm looking forward to the Terry Pegula era and hopes he lives up to his word of wanting to bring Stanley Cups to Buffalo.

I like both Drury & Briere and wish they were still on the team, along with JP Dumont, Zubrus, Tallinder & Lydman. I'm looking forward to the Terry Pegula era and hopes he lives up to his word of wanting to bring Stanley Cups to Buffalo.

You can't keep 'em all.

The reporting is that the extensions were offered last fall. Bucky is saying around Halloween.

I've said it before. It's incredible that the media that covers this team wasn't all over the contract situation from the beginning of camp.

I posted several questions to Bucky's chat about Lindy's contract situation. He never posted them, let alone answered them. I find that interesting.

I don't boo either of them. It's not their fault they left. And even though he is an insane shcizo freak, I don't think it's all Darcy Regier's fault they both got let go, either. Mr. Golisano, the tightwad, and Larry Quinn, his Yes Man, deserve the blame. All he ever wanted from owning this team was to make a profit and bail out. Of course, Golisano did do us all a favor by saving our team. We HAD to put up with this BS. TG was all about business, and anyone who runs a business can see his standpoint, even if you don't agree with it. I just PRAY to the Hockey Gods that Mr. Pegula will keep the pocketbook open wide enough to build us a Stanley Cup winner.

So right before this season? That sorta goes with my point that they thought each was doing a good job.

Well, they did just win the division,.. even with that horrible Tim Kennedy getting regular ice time. They must have been doing something right.

So right before this season? That sorta goes with my point that they thought each was doing a good job.

Around Holloween would've been about a month into the season. And the Sabres were stinking up the joint a month into the season.

Archived