Lindy and his goalies.

deluca67

Decided to break down Lindy's record based on the goalies.

With Hasek/Miller

281 wins - 216 loses - 38 ties

All other goalies

170 wins - 219 loses - 40 ties

I think this shows why Lindy runs Miller into the ground.

Just for laughs. Whats his record with Lalime ? Or for that matter with backups in general ?

Decided to break down Lindy's record based on the goalies.

With Hasek/Miller

281 wins - 216 loses - 38 ties

All other goalies

170 wins - 219 loses - 40 ties

I think this shows why Lindy runs Miller into the ground.

kinda like most teams do when they have a bona fide #1 goalie. eg Devils, canucks, flames,

This teams struggles have little to do with goaltending, if you watched last nights game it should be clear as day.

kinda like most teams do when they have a bona fide #1 goalie. eg Devils, canucks, flames,

This teams struggles have little to do with goaltending, if you watched last nights game it should be clear as day.

Way to miss the point.

We have a coach/front office with a reputation based on the work of Hasek and Miller. Even with those goalies Status Quo only makes the playoffs about half of the time.

With as much as keeps being said by the players and coach about "The system", you would think he would have a system for goalies which includes rotation.

I don't care if you are a competitive player who always wants to be on the ice, as coach I am going to set a plan and rotation that you and the team know about ahead of time that allows for rests/breaks for the number 1 when I think the schedule dictates and that also keeps my backup in the flow. I probably even rotate a couple of my other players from press box in and out around that rotation as well.

Then the rest of the team needs to be held accountable for even a more disciplined approach when you know you are playing your backup and his GAA is higher and sv% lower. I think that way you can also help keep the team from falling prey to the trap your number one is always there to bail you out and produce a better rounded effort out of all of them game in and game out. JMO

Way to miss the point.

We have a coach/front office with a reputation based on the work of Hasek and Miller. Even with those goalies Status Quo only makes the playoffs about half of the time.

Actually he didn't miss the point. Check most coaches records without their star players. Hell, look at Lombardi's record with the Redskins, Belichek before Brady fell into his lap, ect. etc.

All that being said, I am tired of this whole team, coaches, gm, players....

Actually he didn't miss the point. Check most coaches records without their star players. Hell, look at Lombardi's record with the Redskins, Belichek before Brady fell into his lap, ect. etc.

The Packers and Patriots both surrounded their "Star Players" with quality players which led to the Championships. The Sabres don't do that. The Sabres act as if they have a belief that if you have a quality goaltender the roster you put in front of them doesn't matter. It's what they did in the Hasek era and is why last off-season was such a disaster.

Way to miss the point.

Nah didnt miss your point. Youre saying Ruff is only successful bc he has had great goaltending. Thats such an oversimplification; he's had Miller and Hasek yes. But a good goalie isnt enough to have success is it?

You have to have the other pieces dont you?

Have you ever wondered why Lindy and Regier are so respected league wide? yes even regier is. Is it because so many hockey people dont see the simple point that these guys blow but are overshadowed by great goalies?? cmon man.

They are respected bc they know what they are doing.

The Packers and Patriots both surrounded their "Star Players" with quality players which led to the Championships. The Sabres don't do that. The Sabres act as if they have a belief that if you have a quality goaltender the roster you put in front of them doesn't matter. It's what they did in the Hasek era and is why last off-season was such a disaster.

Thanks for making my point and blowing up your own thread.

Nah didnt miss your point. Youre saying Ruff is only successful bc he has had great goaltending. Thats such an oversimplification; he's had Miller and Hasek yes. But a good goalie isnt enough to have success is it?

Have you ever wondered why Lindy and Regier are so respected league wide? yes even regier is. Is it because so many hockey people dont see the simple point that these guys blow but are overshadowed by great goalies?? cmon man.

They are respected because they know what they are doing? I guess thats why they make the playoffs year after year as well ?

Ruff is living proof you can be considered "successful" by simply riding good goal-tending. If you have a good goalie and you build around him you can have ultimate success. So much success it doesn't matter who the coach is. The Devils have three Stanley Cups. Same goalie, three different coaches.

To answer your question. No, I never wondered why Ruff and Regier are respected league wide. The main reason is I don't how true that is. I can't imagine people that pay any attention to this team and watch how often that are completely unprepared to play a game would consider Ruff and Regier in that high of regard.

If the Sabres miss the playoffs this season that would would mean that half of the times this franchise has failed to qualify for the playoffs happened during Ruff's and Regier's time here in Buffalo.

Ruff is living proof you can be considered "successful" by simply riding good goal-tending. If you have a good goalie and you build around him you can have ultimate success. So much success it doesn't matter who the coach is. The Devils have three Stanley Cups. Same goalie, three different coaches.

To answer your question. No, I never wondered why Ruff and Regier are respected league wide. The main reason is I don't how true that is. I can't imagine people that pay any attention to this team and watch how often that are completely unprepared to play a game would consider Ruff and Regier in that high of regard.

If the Sabres miss the playoffs this season that would would mean that half of the times this franchise has failed to qualify for the playoffs happened during Ruff's and Regier's time here in Buffalo.

Don't mean to pick at you, but it would still be 7 to the good, 6 to the bad and even in the new math that comes out to more than half.

Don't mean to pick at you, but it would still be 7 to the good, 6 to the bad and even in the new math that comes out to more than half.

All-time TW. Prior to Ruff/Regier the Sabres as a franchise only missed the playoffs 6 times. This will be Ruff/Regier's 6th time in 13 seasons. 6 out of 9 in the post Hasek era.

All-time TW. Prior to Ruff/Regier the Sabres as a franchise only missed the playoffs 6 times. This will be Ruff/Regier's 6th time in 13 seasons. 6 out of 9 in the post Hasek era.

Stand corrected but I am not a fan of comparng eras. There are a multitude of factors that weigh into those results. Comitted, stable ownership being just one.

Stand corrected but I am not a fan of comparng eras. There are a multitude of factors that weigh into those results. Comitted, stable ownership being just one.

Each era brings it's own set of challenges. It doesn't take away from this management team being on the verge of a missing the playoffs for the 6th time in 9 years. Let's keep it to the 3 times in six years post lockout. Ownership has been stable and this team has spend at the Cap or pretty close to it every year. Ownership is not an excuse that can be used over the past six years.

What have we seen over the past six years? Mismanagement from Regier on contracts and free agents. We have also seen Ruff mishandle the backup goal-tending and have seen Ruff's inability to get this team ready to play on a consistent basis. We have also seen this franchise's inability to develop those players with talent they stumble upon.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

And for how many years prior to Ruff/Regier making the scene were there more than 1/3 of the teams missing the playoffs? (In several of those years less than 25% of the leagues' teams missed the playoffs and only 20% of the Sabres' division missed them.) Vs. today, when ~47% of teams miss the playoffs?

I wouldn't say that LINDY has been "successful", If the team misses the playoffs this year, that will be six times in twelve years missing the playoffs, I wouldn't call that successful. The guy's a scrub and has held this team down for too many years.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

And for how many years prior to Ruff/Regier making the scene were there more than 1/3 of the teams missing the playoffs? (In several of those years less than 25% of the leagues' teams missed the playoffs and only 20% of the Sabres' division missed them.) Vs. today, when ~47% of teams miss the playoffs?

I guess it's all in the way you look at it. The number of teams that make the playoffs hasn't changed. Being in the top eight of a 15 team conference isn't a lofty goal. For this team to fail to achieve such a simple goal 3 out 6 seasons post lockout and 6 out 9 post Hasek is inexcusable. The NHL could expand the league again and raise the percentage of teams that don't make the playoffs. It doesn't excuse the poor job this management team/coaching staff has done.

Archived