A Brief Defense of Gaustad

X. Benedict

A brief defense of Gaustad. (from a dumb old purist :lol: )

Gaustad is third in the league in faceoffs - everybody knows this.

Is winning a faceoff is as good as a takeaway? I think so.

There is the misconception Gaustad doesn't use his body. He does. The problem is he is at center. Which means he isn't going into corners. He's behind the net and in front. Perhaps only a handful of regular centers hit more, Ryan Getzlaf and Brian Boyle for certain, not many more come to mind. I'm betting there aren't many more.

Quick check - he's 12th in the league for centers in hits:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLCACAll&sort=hits&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Gaustad is +5 on a -13 team. That's +18 versus teamates.

Keep in mind, a guy that comes into take draws in the defensive zone rarely scores on a shift. 86 Shorthanded faceoffs won are quite telling. A game is about 20 shifts. So far Gaustad has spent 4.5 games doing nothing but clearing the zone on shorties alone.

Once again, Gaustad is not the problem with this team. Of course your 3/4th line center isn't going to win you a Stanley Cup, and that doesn't excuse the lack of team depth at center, but if you didn't have a Gaustad, you'd need one.

Defense rests. :beer:

There is the misconception Gaustad doesn't use his body. He does. The problem is he is at center. Which means he isn't going into corners. He's behind the net and in front. Perhaps only a handful of regular centers hit more, Ryan Getzlaf and Brian Boyle for certain, not many more come to mind. I'm betting there aren't many more.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20112ALLCACAll&sort=hits&viewName=rtssPlayerStats

Keep in mind, a guy that comes into take draws in the defensive zone rarely scores on a shift. 86 Shorthanded faceoffs won are quite telling. A game is about 20 shifts. So far Gaustad has spent 4.5 games doing nothing but clearing the zone on shorties alone.

Once again, Gaustad is not the problem with this team. Of course your 3/4th line center isn't going to win you a Stanley Cup, and that doesn't excuse the lack of team depth at center, but if you didn't have a Gaustad, you'd need one.

Great post.

Also, lack of effort is mentioned all the time in regards to the Sabres on this board. I don't think it ever applies to Goose.

Great post.

Also, lack of effort is mentioned all the time in regards to the Sabres on this board. I don't think it ever applies to Goose.

+1.

Excellent work XB, as always.

I'll also point out that Goose will fight from time to time with the other team's tough guys -- I think on one road trip last year he fought Phaneuf and challenged Pronger.

2.3 mil cap hit and this is what I get? I rest my case your honor.

2.3 mil cap hit and this is what I get? I rest my case your honor.

+1 - its not that he is a bad player (although I would prefer my 6'5" checking line center to, I don't know, check someone once in while?)

its that he is overpaid. Is faceoff skill really worth 1.8 million? Because outside of faceoff skill, I prefer McCormick at 500K.

You do know those are two different "checks" right? ;)

Check or czech? Whether its a noun, verb or nationality, whether its a hip, body, fore, back, slew foot or chess move, I expect my checking line (whether they are Canadians, Americans, Fins, Scots or Czechs) to throw a few checks. Yes I know the difference. You know that other teams' checking lines often make it difficult for the other team's top line to play in our end by throwing checks (not czechs) right? I only ask, because as a Buffalo Sabres fan, its something we rarely see. ;)

Great post.

Allow me to retort.

Goose was signed because he did a little of everything. One of those parts was helping on the power play, which he does not do anymore.

Also, you would expect your 2.3 million dollar center to get a little more playing time than Niedermayer, Stuart, Grier, and Craig Rivet. Yes his avg TOI is within 30 seconds of those players.

So your honor, with Mr. Goosy will win you a faceoff, the coaching staff knows he cant be on the ice too long.

Lets get a good look at his faceoff numbers.

Hes 86-48 for 64% shorthanded , This is his area of strength, he is tops in the league in percentage and number of wins. Clearly, there are few better than him at winning a SH faceoff. so youre thinking, hey this guys great he's def a solid player on our team. Well consider the fact he plays about 1:50 of SH time per game, good for 62nd in the league. Even though he kills on faceoffs, you just cant leave him out there. Hecht and Greir actually get more PK time than him and Connolly only plays a few seconds less.

Hes 32-18 for 64% on PP. Hey this looks great right? Wrong, bc even with his great success his other weaknesses mean you cant use him that much on the PP. His 32 faceoffs wins rank him 54th in the league....think about this for a minute.

Even with his regular sterngth and shorthanded prowess, he takes only 21% of the teams total faceoffs, this puts him as a guy who is really a 4th liner and not a third.

Even with his regular sterngth and shorthanded prowess, he takes only 21% of the teams total faceoffs, this puts him as a guy who is really a 4th liner and not a third.

On behalf of my client, I would like to point out that this mathmatic when assigned to other players on the roster effectively assigns Roy as fifth line center, Hecht as 6th line center, and Connoly a 7th line center. :lol:

(nice post btw)

X and Carp can go into a dimly lit closet together for 10 minutes with this info.

Faceoffs

I agree with his last statement.

Faceoffs come into play every now and then, but they aren't as important as a change of possesion during the flow of play in my opinion. Everyone is ready for a faceoff. Chaos theory comes into play during a turnover. People are out of position, have to react in an instant. It is the same reason why Ben Rothlisburger is a great QB and Brian Brohm isn't. They have the same tools....and Brohm can look great on a 5 step drop and quick release on a planned 12 yard out.....but when things aren't perfectly planned and things don't go as planned, he is worthless....while a guy like Rothlisburger feels the play and can improvise on a breakdown, keeping many of his skills up to snuff on the fly.

Gaustad could have been a really nice all around player, but Lindy ruined him. I was convinced Gaustad would be a captain a few years ago. Instead, he was taken away from his physical instinctive role in front of the net, and was turned into another Sabre fitness guru who needs to think defense first. It's a shame because he could have been an intimidating 200 goal scorer in this league.

On behalf of my client, I would like to point out that this mathmatic when assigned to other players on the roster effectively assigns Roy as fifth line center, Hecht as 6th line center, and Connoly a 7th line center. :lol:

(nice post btw)

Taken alone, yes, but in whole and as compared to other top faceoff men you have a trend.

Goose was taken in the 7th round, he has really played like a 7th round player. The guy just doesnt have that much talent but he puts in an honest effort. His 2.3 cap hit isnt egregious like pommers or hecht so take him for what he's worth.

X and Carp can go into a dimly lit closet together for 10 minutes with this info.

Faceoffs

I agree with his last statement.

Faceoffs come into play every now and then, but they aren't as important as a change of possesion during the flow of play in my opinion. Everyone is ready for a faceoff. Chaos theory comes into play during a turnover. People are out of position, have to react in an instant. It is the same reason why Ben Rothlisburger is a great QB and Brian Brohm isn't. They have the same tools....and Brohm can look great on a 5 step drop and quick release on a planned 12 yard out.....but when things aren't perfectly planned and things don't go as planned, he is worthless....while a guy like Rothlisburger feels the play and can improvise on a breakdown, keeping many of his skills up to snuff on the fly.

Gaustad could have been a really nice all around player, but Lindy ruined him. I was convinced Gaustad would be a captain a few years ago. Instead, he was taken away from his physical instinctive role in front of the net, and was turned into another Sabre fitness guru who needs to think defense first. It's a shame because he could have been an intimidating 200 goal scorer in this league.

Faceoffs win you possession. Statistical correlations start from there. How many goals did the Sabres score with possesion in the last 40 years? All of them.

How many goals did the opponents score against the Sabres without possession? Almost none.

Okay...I remember Shoney making a pass to Edwards once that lit the lamp...but almost none.

I disagree on my client ever scoring 200 goals.....that was never going to be his upside.

(Honk for the Goose goal calls aside)....however if he played wing exclusively I could see him getting 15 goals a year. This was a luxury that the team had in 2006 with so many good forwards.

It seems a comparable player would be Malhotra from Vancouver. He plays a similar role and has similar numbers as Gaustad and gets paid $2.5 million per season. I don't believe Gaustad's contract is way out of line. Like 99.9% of this team I would like to get more out of him.

Add me to the list of folks that think Lindy ruined him. He was a more effective player as a winger. And he still coulda taken faceoffs while skating during play along a wing.

And who the ###### was the genius that had Gaustad lose 15-20 lbs anyway? He was a effective banger that really riled opponents up and did some damage. Then he lost the weight in an effort to become a better skater a lost the most effective part of his game IMO. As already mentioned, he skates like a newborn foal. Why would you want a guy like that losing weight to be more of a speed and quickness guy? His game was being someone that was difficult to play against. I don't think he has that effect most nights anymore.

Goose has value. But he coulda been so much more effective if kept on the wing and beefed up. Now the only center on the team worse than him is Niedermayer.

It seems a comparable player would be Malhotra from Vancouver. He plays a similar role and has similar numbers as Gaustad and gets paid $2.5 million per season. I don't believe Gaustad's contract is way out of line. Like 99.9% of this team I would like to get more out of him.

Excellent point.

Archived