Six Points Back with Three Teams To Jump

bob_sauve28

I know its not even Christmas yet, but I'm not optomistic about the playoffs. Six points doesn't seem that bad but it means that the Sabres cannot in no way afford any significant losing streak and they have to get onto a big roll or put together several small rolls and pile up some points. The more time that goes by before they close that six point gap means the longer the odds on closing it at all. Fewer games means fewer points to collect. Let's hope these shut outs are the beginning of the team putting it together. :thumbsup:

I know its not even Christmas yet, but I'm not optomistic about the playoffs. Six points doesn't seem that bad but it means that the Sabres cannot in no way afford any significant losing streak and they have to get onto a big roll or put together several small rolls and pile up some points. The more time that goes by before they close that six point gap means the longer the odds on closing it at all. Fewer games means fewer points to collect. Let's hope these shut outs are the beginning of the team putting it together. :thumbsup:

Three teams? Try potentially five. The Panthers and Leafs have 2 game in hand and 3 points behind the Sabres. Before thinking of eight place, and how sad is it that has become the goal, the Sabres have to prove they can get to .500. With the four game stretch coming up they can find themselves in a bigger hole.

It is amazing to me that New York, Boston, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Philadelphia and Los Angeles have success across major league sports and Buffalo, Cleveland, etc can't even come close.

Yeah.... the Mets, Rangers, Islanders, and the Knicks are lighting the world on fire.

Yeah.... the Mets, Rangers, Islanders, and the Knicks are lighting the world on fire.

Maybe not of late, but three of the four have won in my lifetime.. Throw in the Devils, Jets and Giants and they have won too... Meanwhile, I'm still waiting, and waiting and waiting....

I thought he meant current success.

Understandable, but either way -- I just thought it was funny that you nit pick those FOUR "bad" teams out of the SIX cities he listed (each w/ multiple teams) in attempt to prove his point wrong. I mean no matter what way you look at it or how you slice it -- past success, current success, good teams, bad teams -- all of those cities have won major championships while Buffalo has not. You take the time to point out the Mets, Rangers, and Islanders because they're struggling NOW, but it becomes a moot point as soon as you include the Yankees, or NY Giants, who's recent championships alone trump all that the Sabres have accomplished over 40 years.

i think that, in order for this team to land in top 8, it is going to have to put together a winning streak of 8+ games, or, failing that, have a longer stretch (~15 games) where their record is .700+.

:death:

Game 3 of that 15 game stretch is tonight.

quite frankly this team just doesnt have the look of a playoff caliber team. theyve only got one star, miller, which is fine but they frequently still appear soft and mistaken ridden. they have speed but not the ability to close

im usually optimistic, and certainly was before this season started, but i would be more surprised if they make the playoffs than if they dont

quite frankly this team just doesnt have the look of a playoff caliber team. theyve only got one star, miller, which is fine but they frequently still appear soft and mistaken ridden. they have speed but not the ability to close

im usually optimistic, and certainly was before this season started, but i would be more surprised if they make the playoffs than if they dont

Yep.

They hang with teams like Boston but you always get the sense that they are doing all they can to just hang with them. There isn't another gear to grab.

Yep.

They hang with teams like Boston but you always get the sense that they are doing all they can to just hang with them. There isn't another gear to grab.

There are no "go to" guys on this roster. With the game on the line and down a goal who do want in the slot with the puck on his stick? Vanek? Roy? Pominville? I don't have faith in any player on this roster.

I think all sports teams eventually take on the personalities of their Front Office. I'm not trying to be flip here, I'm serious. Smart, savvy FOs always seem to end up with smart, savvy teams. Ballsy, risk-taking FOs end up with players that fit that personality, as well, it seems.

Looking at the last six years, since the lockout, this team has shown less and less and less skill, tenacity, INTEREST, concern...and that most definitely matches their Front Office.

Honestly, I think WE care how they do more than they do.

I think all sports teams eventually take on the personalities of their Front Office. I'm not trying to be flip here, I'm serious. Smart, savvy FOs always seem to end up with smart, savvy teams. Ballsy, risk-taking FOs end up with players that fit that personality, as well, it seems.

Looking at the last six years, since the lockout, this team has shown less and less and less skill, tenacity, INTEREST, concern...and that most definitely matches their Front Office.

Honestly, I think WE care how they do more than they do.

I think the first point is a very fair one -- how teams match the personality of their FO's.

However, I don't think it's fair to say that Darcy & Co. don't care. I have no doubt that they care very, very much. It's just how that care gets expressed in assembling a team that is problematic.

This one could be pinned as the playoff death march where we track till mathematically eliminated. :bag:

As of today change from original thread this team is just headed the wrong way;

12/15- 8pts out now with 5 teams to beat, Bos, TB in 7-8th Bos with 2 games in hand;

Ott 1 pt ahead at 29 we have 2 games in hand but Canes and Toronto tied with us at 28 w/ TO tied in games played but Canes w/2games in hand.

This one could be pinned as the playoff death march where we track till mathematically eliminated. :bag:

As of today change from original thread this team is just headed the wrong way;

12/15- 8pts out now with 5 teams to beat, Bos, TB in 7-8th Bos with 2 games in hand;

Ott 1 pt ahead at 29 we have 2 games in hand but Canes and Toronto tied with us at 28 w/ TO tied in games played but Canes w/2games in hand.

I think carpanddean needs to add another chart to his thread.

Archived