Weekend in Buffalo for outsiders

Sabresince70

I have bee a member of the board for a few years (seldom post, I really use it as a way to get Buffalo information since I live in a Philadelphia dominated market) - but you have all really helped in the past when I made trips to Buffalo.

So, another question post -

I am bringing my two oldest daughters and one of their boyfriends up for next Sat. game against Tampa. Both girls have seen games in Buffalo (we used to make the trip yearly) but it will be a first for the boyfriend (converting Flyer fans is a passion).

Can we still go to the morning skate? Is Chef's still a good place to go for lunch? and more important to the oldest , what is the name of the best mall (galleria?) in the area and what are the cross streets so I can put it into the GPS. I already promised a trip to the anchor bar for wings (I know they may not be the "best" - but the girls get a kick out of saying they went to the "first" place. I promised new jerseys for each kid - can I get them a little cheaper somewhere besides the arena store?

Thanks in advance to all, and thanks for previous years help. If you ever come to this area (I can't imagine why), I promise to repay the favor)

Don't know about the morning skate.

Chef's is still open for lunch even though they are doing renovation work, adding a new dining area.

Your kids would probably like the Boulevard Mall in Amherst at Niagara Falls Boulevard (US Route 62) and Maple Road. The Bonefish Grille there is a good restaurant.

There is a Laux Sporting Goods store at that mall. You might get better prices than the Sabres store at the arena. (I buy jerseys online, so maybe someone else here has more accurate info on this.)

Have fun at the game.

The above post is accurate but I'll add that the Galleria Mall is a significantly bigger mall than the Boulevard Mall. It is west of the intersection of Union Road and Walden Avenue in Cheektowaga (it is also right off I-90 at exit 52)

Thanks!

The last time we went we went by train and had no car - so we took a bus to a mall and she thought it was "galleria". We will have more movement this year, but she wanted to do a wall climb or something at the mall again, and I couldn't remember where it was. Maybe I should mention the girls are 17 and 16. Don't know if there is anythiing specifically for them anywhere near the Hyatt (after 6 hrs in the car listening to their father's music they will probably like to get somewhere away from me when we arrive Friday night)

Thanks!

The last time we went we went by train and had no car - so we took a bus to a mall and she thought it was "galleria". We will have more movement this year, but she wanted to do a wall climb or something at the mall again, and I couldn't remember where it was. Maybe I should mention the girls are 17 and 16. Don't know if there is anythiing specifically for them anywhere near the Hyatt (after 6 hrs in the car listening to their father's music they will probably like to get somewhere away from me when we arrive Friday night)

Canada is a short swim from there.

Thanks!

Wall is at Dick's (Galleria).

Morning skate is open to the public, 10am on game days. At least that was the case the past two years when I've gone. I don't think they've changed it for this season.

For jerseys, I buy mine thru the Sabres Store via phone & have them shipped to me in Virginia. They're cheaper since I don't have to pay 8+% sales tax and as I recall it's free (or very cheap) shipping. Plus, I get season ticket holder discount.

Thanks again to all - I'm glad the am skate is still open - makes the 5&1/2 hour drive a little more reasonable to get a skate and a game in-

I'll be in town with the wife for this weekend's games as well, hoping to catch the Saturday morning skate too.

For us no trip back home is complete without visiting Ulrich's near the downtown and The Pancake House in Williamsville.

I have bee a member of the board for a few years (seldom post, I really use it as a way to get Buffalo information since I live in a Philadelphia dominated market) - but you have all really helped in the past when I made trips to Buffalo.

So, another question post -

I am bringing my two oldest daughters and one of their boyfriends up for next Sat. game against Tampa. Both girls have seen games in Buffalo (we used to make the trip yearly) but it will be a first for the boyfriend (converting Flyer fans is a passion).

Can we still go to the morning skate? Is Chef's still a good place to go for lunch? and more important to the oldest , what is the name of the best mall (galleria?) in the area and what are the cross streets so I can put it into the GPS. I already promised a trip to the anchor bar for wings (I know they may not be the "best" - but the girls get a kick out of saying they went to the "first" place. I promised new jerseys for each kid - can I get them a little cheaper somewhere besides the arena store?

Thanks in advance to all, and thanks for previous years help. If you ever come to this area (I can't imagine why), I promise to repay the favor)

My Dad was a Buffalo police officer who used to moonlight doing security at Chef's in the 70's. He used to take me there and I met some great Sabres as a kid. Donny Edwards who was my hero stands out the most in my memory. I've been gone for years, is Chef's still a good place to see players after the game? I would guess there are probably "hipper" places they go now.

Any idea how long that is supposed to last? I'm planning on picking up a 3rd when I'm home for Christmas.

They advertise it during the game, no sure 4 how long. Word to out of towners, they have another store up the escalators to your left. Some different stuff up there, hats galore, etc...

You can call 1(877) 855-4140 to talk to the store.

Wall is at Dick's (Galleria).

Yes. You may want to check with the store to see what time the climbing wall will be open--it is not always open.

DO NOT go to ######.com to find the phone number. That's a mistake I made once, and I never will make it again. I still have nightmares. I think the website is dickssportinggoods.com .

Yes. You may want to check with the store to see what time the climbing wall will be open--it is not always open.

DO NOT go to ######.com to find the phone number. That's a mistake I made once, and I never will make it again. I still have nightmares. I think the website is dickssportinggoods.com .

That sounds like it could make for an interesting climbing wall.

Are you my dad? He made that same mistake once. Anyway, I think it's something like dsports. But that's why google is your friend. I hope that we're at the point now where people would never try to guess a website on their own.

Archived