The Slug is not really dead

weehawk

A very slacker article IMO. Why is the slug still there? Are there plans for removal? Are you waiting for replacement parts? ...

Sounds like he caught him in the parking lot one day and got to ask one question.

I didn't read it as you. I think, you read it "the slug" was the slug on the scoreboard. I read it as the logo itself. By Gilbert saying it's not going away, i think the plans are to keep it for the future. Wouldn't be surprised if the slug is on a jersey next year as part of a third jersey, as the current 3rds are only for this year.

The best part of the article is even Gilbert refers to it as the "slug". lol

Anyone who has been to the Arena already has the unfortunate knowledge of this. It's on all four faces of the scoreboard, it forms an arch over one of the Sabres' merchandise shops, and most disgustingly, it appears on the banner for the most significant trophy the Sabs ever have earned.

I hate it.

Anyone who has been to the Arena already has the unfortunate knowledge of this. It's on all four faces of the scoreboard, it forms an arch over one of the Sabres' merchandise shops, and most disgustingly, it appears on the banner for the most significant trophy the Sabs ever have earned.

I hate it.

That was the primary logo when they won that trophy. Yeah, we'd rather not see that, but I actually kind of like that the banners acknowledge what was worn when they were earned.

That was the primary logo when they won that trophy. Yeah, we'd rather not see that, but I actually kind of like that the banners acknowledge what was worn when they were earned.

KILL IT.

Seriously, just make the banners uniform.

Guys and gals, there's a ton of slug merchandise still sitting on shelves somewhere -- you can't expect the Sabres and the NHL to just throw it away. The slug will likely be officially "dead" in a year or so...and we'll see a lot of kids in 3rd-world countries wearing slug t-shirts, to go along with their Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champions gear.

The slug will die, but it's going to take a little longer than we'd all like. There are a lot of reasons ... business reasons ... why they can't just drop it instantly. But, its presence will fade away; it will never come back.

I hope you're right, but for what it's worth, that's not what the team spokesman is saying.

I would rather the old black and red goat head make an appearance back then the slug. In fact, I just got a hold of one at a local hockey story in Ridgefield, CT. The owner found a bunch of them in a back basket at another place and grabbed a few. The owner of the rink in Ridgefield is from Buffalo and there are some men's league teams in the area still using the the shirt. I had my black one snagged a few years back. Still have the white one, so it was nice to fill out the wardrobe.

Die Slug, Die! Add some salt and fire. Maybe we should all have a slug burning party! Not that our crowd needs an excuse to drink....

Guys and gals, there's a ton of slug merchandise still sitting on shelves somewhere -- you can't expect the Sabres and the NHL to just throw it away. The slug will likely be officially "dead" in a year or so...and we'll see a lot of kids in 3rd-world countries wearing slug t-shirts, to go along with their Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champions gear.

This, plus sponsors/advertisers, etc. As much as we hate it, the slug was used as the official logo for four years. They did a lot to remove it, but there's enough left that kids with those jerseys, advertisers using that logo, etc., won't feel ostracized or, at least, won't feel forced to invest in changing immediately. They'll get the message and make the investment when they can.

I hope you're right, but for what it's worth, that's not what the team spokesman is saying.

He's saying what he needs to, as spokesmen often do. What he said didn't contradict me, either. "We never said it would go away" is not the same as "it won't go away." I will say two things: (1) the spokesman isn't making the decision, so there are people above him who know better; and (2) I'm not concerned.

The slug will die, but it's going to take a little longer than we'd all like. There are a lot of reasons ... business reasons ... why they can't just drop it instantly. But, its presence will fade away; it will never come back.

I agree. It takes time and money to remove or replace the old slug logos. It's just going to take time. I'm sure it will be a few years before all the logos are gone.

THIS JUST IN: SABRES TOO CHEAP TO REMOVE DEFUNCT BRANDING

They changed the logo to boost merchandising income and appease the fans (and they did: hate the slug, love the new style, just got my Miller road jersey yesterday). They either didn't have enough time or money to change all of the arena fixtures. But as fans, we can only control what we can control. So:

It is now up to us to do two things:

1) Verbally shame all fans wearing slugs.

2) Irreparably vandalize all remaining slug fixtures in HSBC.

They changed the logo to boost merchandising income and appease the fans (and they did: hate the slug, love the new style, just got my Miller road jersey yesterday). They either didn't have enough time or money to change all of the arena fixtures. But as fans, we can only control what we can control. So:

It is now up to us to do two things:

1) Verbally shame all fans wearing slugs.

2) Irreparably vandalize all remaining slug fixtures in HSBC.

Two incredibly immature options. Perfect.

Archived