any europeans on this team at all?

Rabbit151

Detroit has the right kind of Euros, Swedes. Swedes turn into some awesome players. Scandinavian players in general come with a toughness and defensive responsibility while Russian and other E Euros are more "shoot first, ask quetions later" types. The only to E Euro players that play outside of the mold are Gino and OV. It's all in how your taught and a lot of that has to do with where you grow up.

Darcy had made comments around draft time that seemed to imply the Sabres were focusing more on North American players. As an earlier poster referenced, I think it has more to do with NA training versus European and also the propensity (or possibility) of Europeans heading back home rather than participate in junior and minor leagues here. It's more difficult to keep an eye on their progress and influences when they are across the Atlantic.

Darcy had made comments around draft time that seemed to imply the Sabres were focusing more on North American players. As an earlier poster referenced, I think it has more to do with NA training versus European and also the propensity (or possibility) of Europeans heading back home rather than participate in junior and minor leagues here. It's more difficult to keep an eye on their progress and influences when they are across the Atlantic.

+1

It is alot easier to scout on this continent and I dont think darcy is looking to get burned on a russian or other european who never comes to america

+1

It is alot easier to scout on this continent and I dont think darcy is looking to get burned on a russian or other european who never comes to america

With the new CBA, they lose the rights of europeans much quicker than they did before the lockout. That's going to play a major role in all of this. I'd be interested to see how much of a drop there has been in european draft picks league-wide. Obviously other things like crappy or non-existent transfer agreements are going to have an impact as well.

Detroit has the right kind of Euros, Swedes. Swedes turn into some awesome players. Scandinavian players in general come with a toughness and defensive responsibility while Russian and other E Euros are more "shoot first, ask quetions later" types. The only to E Euro players that play outside of the mold are Gino and OV. It's all in how your taught and a lot of that has to do with where you grow up.

Yeah, those Russians Detroit had in the 90's werent any good at all.

Glad to see that sabres.com finally updated the roster to include Mike Weber. Now if the Buff News would get their act together (yesterday's article mentioned the Thursday night home opener against Ottawa and today's article talks about adding Niedermayer as one of the Defensemen to replace departures - in fairness though, that was a high school journalist but no excuse for his editor).

Anyway, interesting to see we have 11 USA born players on the team - that seems a pretty high percentage to go along with the 9 Canadians, 1 German, 1 Slovak & 1 highly assimilated Austrian (a Twinkees fan!).

Looks like a good roster & here's looking forward to them going further than last season - hopefully about 4 winning playoff rounds in total!

I don't really know how the subject went to bigotry. I made a simple observation that the Sabres are clearly going to a predominantly North American flavor. Part of it, is the fear of losing players, and I think part of it is that they have not had a great deal of success drafting europeans during the Regier regime.

However, generally, I see North American players as grittier and more determined to win the Stanley Cup. For many europeans, world championships and olympics are far more important. As a Sabres fan, with a team lacking in grit, I have to admit, I like replacing Lydman and Tallinder with Morrisson and Leopold.

Leopold, I don't know if he is a gritty player, I think not, but adding Morrisson (sp) is a start.

I also prefer WHL players to players from the Q. Different mentalities, different places, nothing more than that.

And yes, I know we can trot out examples of Detroit winning with Euros, or a sound defensive Q graduate...any generality can be shot down by a specific example.

Its like when smokers tell wonderful stories of some 90 yr old grampa who smoked cigarettes since he was 12 and is healthy as a horse, so said smoker decides they will continue smoking too because somehow the example of grampa tarnishes studies on health problems linked to cigarettes.

Besides, a pretty strong argument can be made that without the grit provided by Maltby, Draper, Yzerman and the toothless wonder (i forget his name), they may never have one...hell, throw Chelios into that as well.

Something's not right there. At first you say you didn't expect it to turn to bigotry, but then the rest of the post seems so incredibly full of bias. The two aren't all that far apart.

Preferring players from one region over those from another is a long way from hating people based on the color of their skin or what country they were born in.

PC run amok!

About the bigotry thing; I read Theo Fleury's book, and in it he talks about going on off-season fishing trips with his teammates. Pretty much the whole team would go, but the European players were specifically not invited, ever. He just casually mentions this in a quick sentence, but I thought it was kind of weird.

I think that European players are finally starting to toughen up, and the more this happens the more Euro players we will see in the NHL.

Preferring players from one region over those from another is a long way from hating people based on the color of their skin or what country they were born in.

PC run amok!

Take a couple steps and you're right there though. But anyway, if an organization starts to ignore an entire talent pool based soley on those kind of thoughts, specifically the WHL vs Q stuff, they're going to quickly shoot themselves in the foot.

Who was a bigot??? Just because I said Wilwaukee was full of soft, girly honkeys?? :oops: If anyone didnt catch it thats where stafford grew up obviously didnt go over as well as i planned. :thumbdown:

Wilwaukee? Is that like Marcy?

Take a couple steps and you're right there though. But anyway, if an organization starts to ignore an entire talent pool based soley on those kind of thoughts, specifically the WHL vs Q stuff, they're going to quickly shoot themselves in the foot.

You don't think national origin is worthy of consideration when drafting players? I strongly disagree outside of the first 10 picks of the draft.

With the stabilization of life in Europe, the rise of the KHL and the maturation of European professional leagues kids no longer have to leave home to be a hockey hero. Gogulla is a perfect example. Maybe he's a player in the NHL, maybe he isn't, but he will have to spend years in the AHL toiling away in a foreign land to find out. Or he can go home and make a good living while eating schnitzels every night. Kids like him have a choice, and life in north America won't always win out.

If we only draft north American players, we don't have that worry. They are here to stay. A team like the sabres can't afford to blow a draft pick on a kid who may never come here unless the reward is greater than the risk. I think we are already seeing European kids devalued in the later rounds of the draft.

Lets also not forget that America isn't viewed with the same reverence on the world stage that it once was, and that may influence the european kids when they are deciding whether to cross the pond. The preceding sentence is NOT a political statement and is NOT intended to spark a discussion about who is responsible for changing world views about the USA nor whether those changing views are a good or bad thing. And no, I did not serve 9 tours in Iraq in 3 years.

You don't think national origin is worthy of consideration when drafting players? I strongly disagree outside of the first 10 picks of the draft.

With the stabilization of life in Europe, the rise of the KHL and the maturation of European professional leagues kids no longer have to leave home to be a hockey hero. Gogulla is a perfect example. Maybe he's a player in the NHL, maybe he isn't, but he will have to spend years in the AHL toiling away in a foreign land to find out. Or he can go home and make a good living while eating schnitzels every night. Kids like him have a choice, and life in north America won't always win out.

If we only draft north American players, we don't have that worry. They are here to stay. A team like the sabres can't afford to blow a draft pick on a kid who may never come here unless the reward is greater than the risk. I think we are already seeing European kids devalued in the later rounds of the draft.

Lets also not forget that America isn't viewed with the same reverence on the world stage that it once was, and that may influence the european kids when they are deciding whether to cross the pond. The preceding sentence is NOT a political statement and is NOT intended to spark a discussion about who is responsible for changing world views about the USA nor whether those changing views are a good or bad thing. And no, I did not serve 9 tours in Iraq in 3 years.

This is fair, non-xenophobic argument for at least taking nationality into consideration. I don't think everything in there is correct, but it's a fair point.

Still, doesn't explain why someone from the WHL would be more desirable than someone from the LHJMQQMJHL just based upon what part of Canada the league is in. (I know it wasn't your point to begin with.)

I think the WHL is a more defensive hitting fighting mean league and i think thats the point that was trying to be made. I see the Q as a more skating passing scoring pretty goals league.

And then there's that good league sitting in between the two. ;)

Leopold, I don't know if he is a gritty player, I think not, but adding Morrisson (sp) is a start.

Just my opinion....

Leopold isn't a gritty player, nor is he physical, but he can spread the ice. Should Weber get the nod at #6 it will be to offset this.

Morrisson can be physical, but not necessarily seen day to day. I'd say he picks his spots.

Yeah, those Russians Detroit had in the 90's werent any good at all.

Things have changed. Perhaps you should look at the present. Russian players continue to show that they are now all about offense. I don't care about what happened in the 90's. Has no bearing on scouting now, especially since none of the players you are referencing are even in the league at this time.

This working over you just took is brought to you by the fact that old people think everything from the past is still relevant.

"The Past" Where you left your hair, teeth, and that chick you took to a back alley abortion. "The Past"

And no, I did not serve 9 tours in Iraq in 3 years.

Don't make me come down there.

Just my opinion....

Leopold isn't a gritty player, nor is he physical, but he can spread the ice. Should Weber get the nod at #6 it will be to offset this.

Morrisson can be physical, but not necessarily seen day to day. I'd say he picks his spots.

Morrisson seemed pretty physical in the preseason IMHO. We shall see.

As for Weber, FWIW, Vogl says it now looks like it's going to be Sekera in the lineup:

Sekera is manning the point on the second power-play unit, almost a sure sign he will play against the Senators. He is joined on the blue line by Jordan Leopold, while Thomas Vanek, Paul Gaustad and Tim Connolly are up front.

linky

My first choice would be Weber, but Sekera is my 2nd choice, so I'm not unhappy with this outcome if it proves out.

Archived