Ecks Latest Sabres Rumor

BamBam

Yeah because the Sabres, with 8 NHL defensemen on the roster, are trying to move two forwards to add a 9th. :rolleyes:

If we could do it for Stafford and Gaustad or something, I'm all for it -- of course this will likely mean losing one of Butler/Weber/Sekera to minors or on waivers or whatever the situation is. But pretty much anybody else besides maybe Gerbe and I don't see it happening.

Yeah because the Sabres, with 8 NHL defensemen on the roster, are trying to move two forwards to add a 9th. :rolleyes:

If we could do it for Stafford and Gaustad or something, I'm all for it -- of course this will likely mean losing one of Butler/Weber/Sekera to minors or on waivers or whatever the situation is. But pretty much anybody else besides maybe Gerbe and I don't see it happening.

As I said in the other thread - I'm thinking Lindy is coming up with a creative new setup to play the game. He wants to put 3 defensemen & 2 forwards out for each shift.

That's actually an interesting question. I think the answer is no. I can't recall a single time he has ever been right about the Sabres.

Even Darcy Regier would tell you that most deals don't get done even when they are discussed. The reporting about a possible deal should be taken with this in mind. It would be completely impossible to believe that every discussion between teams about a deal would be completed. There is so much back and forth before a deal is ever made. I would guess that over 95% of the discussions between GM's do not lead to deals.

Does that make reporting these discussions invalid? I don't think so. If the deal doesn't happen it doesn't mean the initial report was untrue.

As an example, there were stories that the Sabres were trying to deal Max Afinogenov. It never happened, but the rumors were accurate.

Even Darcy Regier would tell you that most deals don't get done even when they are discussed. The reporting about a possible deal should be taken with this in mind. It would be completely impossible to believe that every discussion between teams about a deal would be completed. There is so much back and forth before a deal is ever made. I would guess that over 95% of the discussions between GM's do not lead to deals.

Does that make reporting these discussions invalid? I don't think so. If the deal doesn't happen it doesn't mean the initial report was untrue.

As an example, there were stories that the Sabres were trying to deal Max Afinogenov. It never happened, but the rumors were accurate.

By that logic Ek should be right about 5% of the time give-or-take (assuming he actually has some inside knowledge). But he is right 0% of the time, at least when it comes to the Sabres. So until he gets at least one right, IMHO his site is nothing but a concocted listing of "what if" scenarios.

By that logic Ek should be right about 5% of the time give-or-take (assuming he actually has some inside knowledge). But he is right 0% of the time, at least when it comes to the Sabres. So until he gets at least one right, IMHO his site is nothing but a concocted listing of "what if" scenarios.

Also by that logic, anyone can create whatever "rumor" they want with basically no repercussions. The only thing that could prove them to be false is if a GM actually spoke out to shoot them down, which they would never do.

Yes, this rumor is complete garbage. That said, is there any word from a reputable source that Jack Johnson is available? I wouldn't think so, though with Doughty they already have an all-around stud D-man, so maybe JJ is expendable for the right price (the Kings still have post-Kovalchuk-sweepstakes needs). JJ entered the league with some lofty expectations, and he seemed to have disappointed a lot of folks with his sub-par defensive zone play. I always thought most of the criticism was a bit unfair and I expected him to improve as he matured. After getting a pretty good dose of him in the regular season and Olympics, I was pretty impressed. He was much improved defensively and he was excellent for the Kings down the stretch last year, even when his teammates weren't providing much help. Not that this has anything to do with the Sabres, but in general I'd put a trade package together if he were available (I'm unaware of his contract status). Despite his very good season last year, MAYBE it wouldn't take as much to land him considering he's somewhat overshadowed by Doughty in LA. Still a lot, but MAYBE not quite the moon.

First of all, your conclusion that using my "guess that over 95% of the discussions between GM's do not lead to deals" would infer Ek is right about 5% of the time is logically incorrect. I don't have the time to explain why you are wrong, but you are.

Secondly, have you evaluated all the rumors for accuracy? If so, please report the statistics to all of us. If not, how can you say that his rumors have a 0% accuracy pertaining to the Sabres?

Thirdly, if reporting baseless stories is wrong, then how would you explain the high ratings for Fox News? Apparently, people don't necessarily require facts or substance to be entertained either by so called rumor sites or mainstream national media.

Thirdly, if reporting baseless stories is wrong, then how would you explain the high ratings for Fox News? Apparently, people don't necessarily require facts or substance to be entertained either by so called rumor sites or mainstream national media.

Hence W...twice. :rolleyes:

Archived