Camp Talk: Can Gragnani make this team?

Two or less

So, i read a pretty interesting article today about Marc-Andre Gragnani. I've always felt like he just wasn't cut out for the NHL, but this is his moment of truth i feel like, same with guys like Nathan Gerbe, who i feel if they don't make it this year, they may never make it and we'll lose Grags either by sending him down to Portland or in a trade for a mid-round pick somewhere down the line. But, as the article says, the Sabres do need some offense from the blueline besides Tyler Myers. Made me kinda think today, will Gragnani be in Buffalo on October 8th? I heard Paul Hamilton say that both Grags and Mike Weber need to clear waivers if they are to be send down after camp.

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Finally, after three splendid AHL seasons, it appeared defenseman Marc-Andre Gragnani could graduate and crack the Sabres roster for good this year.

When veteran defenders Tony Lydman and Henrik Tallinder departed early in free agency, the Sabres only signed one replacement, Jordan Leopold. Gragnani or Mike Weber would likely fill out the defense corps, Sabres general manager Darcy Regier said in July.

Regier expressed confidence in the youngsters then, saying he felt “very strongly that we have at least one, maybe two defensemen in the system that can play next year.” He added the Sabres stood “in a much better position now.”

A month later, they signed veteran defenseman Shaone Morrisonn, dropping Gragnani to ninth on the depth chart. Now it’ll be tough for the 23-year-old, who inked a two-way deal shortly after Morrisonn arrived, to stick with the Sabres.

Was Gragnani disappointed when the Sabres added Morrisonn?

“No, not really,” Gragnani said Tuesday following a session of rookie camp at HSBC Arena. “They have to sign the players they want to sign and they feel are the best move for the team. That’s not something I can control. I’m concentrating on the things that I can control.”

That’s offense. Gragnani’s a slick, point-producing defenseman. He compiled nine goals and 51 points two years ago in Portland, then 12 goals and 43 points last season.

Rest of article- http://www.msg.com/blogs/bill-hoppe/gragnani-eyeing-a-full-time-job-with-the-sabres-1.49643

Maybe not at season start, but I wonder how healthy Rivet really is....

I agree - Gragnani will be sent down but at some point will get the emergency call up due to injuries. Then he might get called up another time and then stick around and play the occasional game or two.

This may be Gragnani's last chance(I think Weber has a much better chance) to make it as a Sabre. He has younger players that will be catching up to him on the call-up depth chart this year(Brennan, Scheistel, Crawford & Biega) with more to come(McNabb, Fienhage, Pysyk, etc..)

This may be Gragnani's last chance(I think Weber has a much better chance) to make it as a Sabre. He has younger players that will be catching up to him on the call-up depth chart this year(Brennan, Scheistel, Crawford & Biega) with more to come(McNabb, Fienhage, Pysyk, etc..)

It may be his chance, but this discussion needs to begin with who is moved out of his way for that roster spot and how. Obviously the prime candidates are Butler, Sekera, and even Weber since he should be ahead of Gragnani on the depth chart at this point. That's quite a few players standing in his way and I don't think he has what it takes to get past that.

Nope. I don't see it. Although nary a preseason game has been played but from the way things were I don't see him ahead of the other young guys. I remember mention last year that his defensive game is still needing work and that's not what Lindy like to see. I don't see him beating out the other 3 guys. Butler has shown he's NHL capable until the wheels fell off the wagon which is good enough to keep him on the team due to unfilled potential like all the other guys we have. Sekera looked great in the Olympics...potential. Weber looked on the cusp to by full time NHL ready until that injury. Plus, he's big, tough, and mean (I hope) which is something we need more of. Gragnani has not quite shown NHL ready potential in the past compared to the other 3. However, I could see us getting rid of Sekera just cause he's not North American though. Might lose a couple of guys this year though through the waiver wire.

My predictions are Butler and Weber as 6 and 7 unless Weber completely implodes like last camp (although he was recovering from injury).

Locks - Myers, Montador, Rivet, Leopold, Morrison

Bubble - Butler, Sekera, Weber, Gragnani

It may be his chance, but this discussion needs to begin with who is moved out of his way for that roster spot and how. Obviously the prime candidates are Butler, Sekera, and even Weber since he should be ahead of Gragnani on the depth chart at this point. That's quite a few players standing in his way and I don't think he has what it takes to get past that.

He doesn't need to get past it. Any injuries to myers, sekera, rivet, or leopold may cause his promotion as the sabres are woefully vacant of PP capable D men.

Argh!!

First off, nobody can be considered a bust after being drafted in the 3rd round. His chances of making the club were 50/50 at best.

Secondly, Brian Campbell had 22 points through his first 102 NHL games. Not terribly unlike Sekera's career path.

Thirdly, soupy's penchant for play in his own end was far worse than anything Andrej has displayed thus far.

Lastly, Sekera is not nearly as bad as most would make him seem. He'd be picked off waivers immediately by half the teams in the league.

MAG is like Brian Campbell without the appearance of skill that could trick a team into paying him $7m. So basically, he's Brian Campbell.

If MAG or any of the Sabres' D were as good as Campbell, (i) that player would be immediately on the top pair with Myers and (ii) the Sabres would be much better off on D (and the PP) than they are now.

Heres Shakira nhl stats from yahoo

games/157

g/9

a/29

p/38

plus,minus / -6

hits/43

Thats sickening :death:

Seriously can anyone disagree that we've wasted 157 nhl games on a bust? Honestly?

I've had enough.

Are you on drugs?

There's a reason Sekera was playing and Butler was benched at the end of last year. It's the same reason that Sekera played a lot for a Slovakian Olympic team that made a very deep run.

Sekera is the best skater out of the Sabres' D group and he's well ahead of where Soupy was at a comparable stage of his career.

Tuche sir. Thats a great point to make. I would've much rather seen Weber for 157 games. At least he actually plays D!

Weber's career to this point has been much more myth than substance. He's looked lost the last couple of times he's been called up. Laying out a big hit now and then is great, but if he can't make the right decision with the puck in his defensive zone, he's not going to make it.

Heres to hoping.

I sincerly believe Grag can post 30 points in 60 games.

Based on what?

Argh!!

First off, nobody can be considered a bust after being drafted in the 3rd round. His chances of making the club were 50/50 at best.

Secondly, Brian Campbell had 22 points through his first 102 NHL games. Not terribly unlike Sekera's career path.

Thirdly, soupy's penchant for play in his own end was far worse than anything Andrej has displayed thus far.

Lastly, Sekera is not nearly as bad as most would make him seem. He'd be picked off waivers immediately by half the teams in the league.

Thank you.

Also, I didn't realize this, but Butler can be sent down without clearing waivers according to TBN:

Weber was the Sabres' final camp cut the past two seasons, partly because he didn't have to clear waivers to be demoted to Portland. Butler could find himself in that position this fall since he's the only player in the group who could be sent down without waivers.

Can anyone verify? I can see TBN being simply wrong about this.

If they're right, though, then, unless a trade miraculously materializes, I think Butler will be sent down, Sekera will be the #6 defenseman, Weber will be #7 and they'll either keep Gragnani as #8 or waive him and send him down.

Also, I didn't realize this, but Butler can be sent down without clearing waivers according to TBN:

Can anyone verify? I can see TBN being simply wrong about this.

If they're right, though, then, unless a trade miraculously materializes, I think Butler will be sent down, Sekera will be the #6 defenseman, Weber will be #7 and they'll either keep Gragnani as #8 or waive him and send him down.

I saw that this morning and rolled my eyes. They really need to do some research before writing false information like that. Here is how it works. Chris Butler was 21 when he started his contract. The cutoffs for waiver eligibility for a 21 year old are either 3 years as a pro (Butler has played 2) or 80 games played. Once he goes beyond either of those figures, he needs to clear waivers. Butler has played 106 NHL games, so he is no longer exempt from waivers.

Archived