Difference between the Sabres and other teams

Swedesessed

The New Jersey Devil$ have now shed their so called 'small market' label now that they will sign Ilya Kovalchuk...and to illustrate the difference between the Devil$ and the Sabres...I google searched the new Colin Stuart the Sabres signed today, and here are the results:

Google

Any more questions?

Accepting reality will set you free ladies and gentlemen. NO ELITE FAs are EVER going to Buffalo, and when they get a chance to leave, they probably will.

Draft is EVERYTHING for this franchise, along with savvy pickups or trades and hope to rip the other team off.

That is all.

The New Jersey Devil$ have now shed their so called 'small market' label now that they will sign Ilya Kovalchuk...and to illustrate the difference between the Devil$ and the Sabres...I google searched the new Colin Stuart the Sabres signed today, and here are the results:

Google

Any more questions?

Accepting reality will set you free ladies and gentlemen. NO ELITE FAs are EVER going to Buffalo, and when they get a chance to leave, they probably will.

Draft is EVERYTHING for this franchise, along with savvy pickups or trades and hope to rip the other team off.

That is all.

What is the point of this thread?

Has anyone ever referred to the Devils, who play in the biggest metropolitan market in the USA, as a "small market" team?

Has anyone pointed to the Colin Stuart signing as an important move for the Sabres? Don't other teams sign random guys for their minor league affiliates?

Has anyone pointed to the Colin Stuart signing as an important move for the Sabres? Don't other teams sign random guys for their minor league affiliates?

I wish I could go back and start a thread for every single free agent signing over the last month or so. It would be exactly this, every team in the league signing multiple guys like Stuart.

Google

Any more questions?

That is all.

Here's some tissues. I already used some of them, so be careful you don't get the sticky side.

the New York/Newark Metropolitan Area is the Largest in the NHL. In fact, it is so large that there are 3 NHL Teams, 2 MLB Teams, 2 NFL Teams, and 2 NBA teams. Saying that the Devils are in a small market is dumber than saying the Ducks are in a small market.

Buffalo is a small market, Newark, NJ is not. That is all.

The only ones to ever consider the Devils a "small Market" team were teh Devils. They may have had a "Small Market" Attitude, but no way is Newark a "Small market"

And yes, all teams have Stuart like signings for depth in the minors, the only difference is its to go along with signings to their main club too. While other GMs can sign guys to both their NHL club and their minor league system, Darcy seems to only be looking at stocking up Portland

The only ones to ever consider the Devils a "small Market" team were teh Devils. They may have had a "Small Market" Attitude, but no way is Newark a "Small market"

And yes, all teams have Stuart like signings for depth in the minors, the only difference is its to go along with signings to their main club too. While other GMs can sign guys to both their NHL club and their minor league system, Darcy seems to only be looking at stocking up Portland

More like he is just filling some sports.

Unlike football players, most (not all) hockey players don't have a problem with Buffalo as a city. Most grew up nearby in Southern Ontario. What makes the Sabres the team to avoid is Larry Quinn and the chicken-$h!t way he runs the franchise and treats players. The latest Tim Kennedy move only galvanizes that image. No player with options would chose to play here with Larry in charge.

PTR

Unlike football players, most (not all) hockey players don't have a problem with Buffalo as a city. Most grew up nearby in Southern Ontario. What makes the Sabres the team to avoid is Larry Quinn and the chicken-$h!t way he runs the franchise and treats players. The latest Tim Kennedy move only galvanizes that image. No player with options would chose to play here with Larry in charge.

PTR

Right bc teams just jumped on Kennedy and duly paid him....

Truth. Looking at what Kennedy actually got, it was a very good move by Darcy to show him the door.

We'll see.

As to the thread topic, at the time the Devils last won a Cup, they had the fourth highest payroll in the league. The difference between other teams and the Sabres is that when other teams have a window of opportunity, they go for it. When the Sabres have one, they let there best players go (I have my own reason why this is but you can come up with your own).

I believe we have a window of opportunity right now with the Brat Pack (that's right, I said it) and Millier+Myers. I know others think that a trade is coming but I don't. I hope I'm wrong but as of right now, they haven't shown me that they are going for it and that,"Our goal is to win the Stanley Cup." Sure it is.

Truth. Looking at what Kennedy actually got, it was a very good move by Darcy to show him the door.

The Kennedy and MacArthur arbitrations are big eye openers for that whole process. They both got deals worth about twice as much as what they eventually got on the open market. That's a sure sign that the process is broken. And since they wound up signing for less than what their original qualifying offers were, I'm guessing more players will now try to avoid that process if possible.

We'll see.

As to the thread topic, at the time the Devils last won a Cup, they had the fourth highest payroll in the league. The difference between other teams and the Sabres is that when other teams have a window of opportunity, they go for it. When the Sabres have one, they let there best players go (I have my own reason why this is but you can come up with your own).

I believe we have a window of opportunity right now with the Brat Pack (that's right, I said it) and Millier+Myers. I know others think that a trade is coming but I don't. I hope I'm wrong but as of right now, they haven't shown me that they are going for it and that,"Our goal is to win the Stanley Cup." Sure it is.

On this note, I think the "game plan" is to be in it around the trade deadline. Keeping the salary cap low and getting someone who can help make the run this time. Not Bernier, not Torres, but a big time player like a Brad Richards.

I agree that the Kennedy move and others like it hurt the team's image with players around the NHL, but I also think you're kidding yourself if you don't think the city makes a huge difference. The choices out there for players good enough to have choices -- Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, LA, SF, Toronto, Montreal, etc. -- are far more appealing to 25-year-old millionaires than WNY is. Bottom line is that Buffalo is close to Edmonton on the non-desirable scale.

On this note, I think the "game plan" is to be in it around the trade deadline. Keeping the salary cap low and getting someone who can help make the run this time. Not Bernier, not Torres, but a big time player like a Brad Richards.

That would be great, but what makes you think this?

That would be great, but what makes you think this?

It's gotta happen. If we're in the hunt the fans as well as the players and Ruff will be very disappointed if they don't do something extra. It's gone on too long. The dissension will grow beyond levels we've seen in the past. Dogs and cats, sleeping together. They say they want a cup? Without truly giving it their all this year (Regier and LQ) at that deadline, they're liars.

An 8 million player at the deadline costs about 2mill and we've got 4-5 in space right now.

It's gotta happen. If we're in the hunt the fans as well as the players and Ruff will be very disappointed if they don't do something extra. It's gone on too long. The dissension will grow beyond levels we've seen in the past. Dogs and cats, sleeping together. They say they want a cup? Without truly giving it their all this year (Regier and LQ) at that deadline, they're liars.

An 8 million player at the deadline costs about 2mill and we've got 4-5 in space right now.

I don't see why this year would be any different then last year and the year before that and the year before that...

PTR

Thanks! That answers my question from another thread...... :thumbsup:

Archived