Season tickets

spndnchz

They want to be able to sell some seats to non-season ticket customers, and they may have to reserve a certain amount for the opposing team to sell (I don't know this to be the case, though). I don't know of a pro sports team that doesn't limit season tix in some way. A limit of roughly 75% is actually pretty high, in my book. That makes it hard enough for a non-season-ticket holder to buy directly from the team.

Right....which is why we are having this conversation.

The Sabres supposedly limit season tickets at close to 90%, yet for all the "opportunity" they are giving non-season ticket holders to purchase an "in-demand and over-subscribed" product, they still failed to sell out over a quarter of their games and hundreds if not thousands of tickets are regularly available in the days and hours leading up to game time, no matter the opponent or price level.

Right....which is why we are having this conversation.

The Sabres supposedly limit season tickets at close to 90%, yet for all the "opportunity" they are giving non-season ticket holders to purchase an "in-demand and over-subscribed" product, they still failed to sell out over a quarter of their games and hundreds if not thousands of tickets are regularly available in the days and hours leading up to game time, no matter the opponent or price level.

The alternative is to have fans complain that they cannot get tickets from the box office at all.

I mean, don't even think about trying to pass off that city--which I love--as a hockey city. That's silliness.

Not a hockey city, I don't care how many kids' parents now can afford time at some rink on top of a parking ramp in Arlington. Still not a hockey city.

Talk about going off based on very little...

Two things. First, you responded to my post with some good points, and then for some reason you had to take it far beyond what I was trying to say, terming it "silliness," though what you're terming silliness is based on what you said I said. That's a little unfair. I wasn't trying to pass it off as a hockey city. I think I was pretty clear in stating that in my experience there is a solid base for the Caps, but percentage-wise it doesn't compare to other cities like Buffalo. My point was that while DC is NOT a hockey city (again, agreeing with your point), it wasn't completely without some hockey positives. I don't think I was comparing DC to Montreal. In re-reading my post, I still don't think I was, but if that's what was taken from my post, then it's on me I guess.

Second, you took this--

and you didn't have a lot of "hockey mom" type areas (though in Montgomery, Howard, PG, and AA counties there are some very good youth hockey programs)
--as me saying that it's a "hockey city"? I was mostly agreeing with your original post, but wanted to point out that in my experience there is good hockey support there (which may certainly be open for debate, no problem there), and now I'm the standard bearer for DC being a "hockey city?" My comment quoted above I thought was pretty tame. I helped out with one such youth program in Montgomery County in the mid-90s, so the frozen Arlington parking ramp comment is pretty disingenuous. I was not only NOT using it to promote DC as a "hockey city," I basically said it wasn't. I also said that no other sports could even come close to the NFL in DC.

As for what "anyone with a decade of experience in that town knows" I'll mostly let go. I don't agree with your DC United as #2 assessment, having spent a lot of time at RFK during those games (very rabid fan base, led by relocated South Americans, Marco Etcheverry, and two early titles, so I get the idea), as well as time at the MCI Center, but that's more of what I see as a friendly disagreement. I thought my last post was mostly complimentary to yours, even if you disagree with what I said. If it wasn't taken that way, fine, but I'd hate to read the vitriol stemming from a full-blown disagreement.

I don't know man....

Why was it that if you bought a ticket for game 1 of the Eastern finals against Buffalo....you also got a ticket to game 2 for free?? I don't know if anyone else here remembers that, but I was there. It was sad when the organ player led the crowd in "Let's Go Buffalo" because the Caps fans weren't loud enough to chant whatever they were supposed to.

Sure things change.....but it didn't seem like the town was doing cartwheels for them.

The bolded paragraph is complete BS. I was at all 3 of those ECF games in DC in 1998. The arena was sold out (with expensive tickets -- NFW were they giving them away) and very loud.

I mean, don't even think about trying to pass off that city--which I love--as a hockey city. That's silliness. It's my favorite city on the planet; I wish I still lived there,

Well, Eleven, I have a lot of respect for you, but I really don't like DC. Bad food, homogenous & uptight people (it's been aptly described IMHO as a city full of class presidents), bad race relations, atrocious city services, bad weather, no beach or mountains nearby, suburban sprawl, high crime rate...no thank you.

And favorite city on the planet? I think you've mentioned that you've traveled a lot -- and DC is your favorite?

To each his own.

I was at all 3 of those ECF games in DC in 1998.

I was there as well.

Bad food, homogenous & uptight people (it's been aptly described IMHO as a city full of class presidents), bad race relations, atrocious city services, bad weather, no beach or mountains nearby, suburban sprawl, high crime rate...no thank you.

I actually like DC myself, but really I can't disagree with most of that. I worked for the District, so I had inside scoop on some of the ridiculous goings-on. The weather, however, I liked. Four seasons, summer humidity and all, in all their glory.

I actually like DC myself, but really I can't disagree with most of that. I worked for the District, so I had inside scoop on some of the ridiculous goings-on. The weather, however, I liked. Four seasons, summer humidity and all, in all their glory.

For professional opportunities, I can understand the appeal of DC to WNYers. There are lots of jobs for ambitious young people. But the rest of it just really turned me off after living there for a while. And while I couldn't complain about the mild winters, I have never -- ever -- breathed air as putrid as DC air in the summer.

And while I couldn't complain about the mild winters, I have never -- ever -- breathed air as putrid as DC air in the summer.

I have some horrific stories about my summer experiences in DC, including one summer walking in a suit from the Foggy Bottom Metro to the State Dept. then back again, to another story I'll share over beers, and a couple more. But for all the horror, you get mild winters as you said, plus positively glorious springs and falls (my favorite).

The bolded paragraph is complete BS. I was at all 3 of those ECF games in DC in 1998. The arena was sold out (with expensive tickets -- NFW were they giving them away) and very loud.

Well, Eleven, I have a lot of respect for you, but I really don't like DC. Bad food, homogenous & uptight people (it's been aptly described IMHO as a city full of class presidents), bad race relations, atrocious city services, bad weather, no beach or mountains nearby, suburban sprawl, high crime rate...no thank you.

And favorite city on the planet? I think you've mentioned that you've traveled a lot -- and DC is your favorite?

To each his own.

Well ###### ........ looks like you got a bad deal. They were buy 1 get one free to game 1 and 2. And my point was that the organ player played "Let's Go Buffalo".....whatever the ###### they were supposed to say in that arena was drowned out by Sabres fans during that chant. Then the Caps fans would boo because the Sabres fans were chanting.

I don't lie. I may wipe little ###### like yourself all over the message board and piss you off because you can't retort in an informative or entertaining enough manner.....but if you want to call BS, and you were there.....then either you have a bad memory or were too busy cruising Chinatown for whores before the game to get a deal on seats.

Well ###### ........ looks like you got a bad deal. They were buy 1 get one free to game 1 and 2. And my point was that the organ player played "Let's Go Buffalo".....whatever the ###### they were supposed to say in that arena was drowned out by Sabres fans during that chant. Then the Caps fans would boo because the Sabres fans were chanting.

I don't lie. I may wipe little ###### like yourself all over the message board and piss you off because you can't retort in an informative or entertaining enough manner.....but if you want to call BS, and you were there.....then either you have a bad memory or were too busy cruising Chinatown for whores before the game to get a deal on seats.

In what way are you wiping me all over the message board?

So you were at the games? If you were, you must remember that all 3 were sellouts (and their arena is larger than HSBC). Maybe you were just scalping tickets or selling bootleg t-shirts outside? Or maybe a dice game in the alley for a sawbuck? A playa like you?

Certainly there were a few "Let's go, Buffalo" chants -- but there are at every road arena.

So you were at the games? If you were, you must remember that all 3 were sellouts (and their arena is larger than HSBC). Maybe you were just scalping tickets or selling bootleg t-shirts outside? Or maybe a dice game in the alley for a sawbuck? A playa like you?

Certainly there were a few "Let's go, Buffalo" chants -- but there are at every road arena.

Where did I say they weren't sellouts?

I said they were Buy 1 get 1 free. Through the box office. Had 6 people there. game 1 & 2.

You call me a liar...we have a problem. You want to poke holes in speculation or opinion...fine.....to call me a liar, which is what you are doing....and I have a huge problem with it. You just cement my opinion of the people that blow this organization no matter what. No honor in you so you don't value it in your team.

To each his own.

Actually, I might like London a bit more than DC. But seriously, as much as I love great cuisine (DC does not have that--you are so so right), there's still a lot of love in my heart for that city. Great people, at least the ones that I knew, great times, and if you find a prettier city in the USA, please let me know. (You won't.) Beaches--3 hours. Mountains--3 hours. Crime--3 minutes. But seriously, the crime didn't find you if you didn't look for it. I mean that. And now, it's completely gentrified, so even Tim Connolly could live there without worrying about having to check somebody or anything like that. City services were better than in the city I live in now (Buffalo).

No, I actually had thirty (read it again, thirty) tix to game 1 of the Boston-DC series. Of course, I did not know 30 people who wanted to go. So I tried to give tix away. The tix ended up on top of a Post newsbox, as I've said here about five times before, but hey, why bother trusting me on that.

During the semis, yes, we drowned out the Craps fans. That's not new, either.

Crappy end to the series.

And frankly, you're starting to be a d*ck to people that most of this board likes, tolerates, or at least has a relationship with. If you want your opinions to be controversial, fine. Don't be an ######, though.

You said "playa".

That's just funny.

No, I actually had thirty (read it again, thirty) tix to game 1 of the Boston-DC series. Of course, I did not know 30 people who wanted to go. So I tried to give tix away. The tix ended up on top of a Post newsbox, as I've said here about five times before, but hey, why bother trusting me on that.

During the semis, yes, we drowned out the Craps fans. That's not new, either.

Crappy end to the series.

And frankly, you're starting to be a d*ck to people that most of this board likes, tolerates, or at least has a relationship with. If you want your opinions to be controversial, fine. Don't be an ######, though.

Eleven.....I am talking about the Sabres/Caps ECF. Not this year. The only reason I said i went was because of the claim that the city had a love affair for the team since Langway. I don't find a team having to give away Buy 1 get 1 free tickets for a conference championship very supportive on the fans' part, but that may be just me.

I am not questioning any of your facts. I however, was called a BS liar as to very specific facts. Not by you, and my response was not geared towards you.

There is a distinct difference between being a wiseguy and being deceitful. I will smile at anyone that takes a clever shot at me or can debate a situation with some jazz whether I agree with your point or not. I will not stand for being called a liar, considering on a forum like this, your word is really all you have to go on. I agree....sometimes I can be "abrasive" to some, but I try never to go over the line. I know that line is different for some....but calling someone a liar multiple times IS crossing over the line. I would hope any regular poster here knows my word well enough to know I am a man of my word.

The main reason I post here, since I guess I am not well liked or have "established relationships", is to keep scumballs like Larry Quinn exposed. When someone tries to lump me in to that same species of reptile....I take offense.

You call me a liar...we have a problem. You want to poke holes in speculation or opinion...fine.....to call me a liar, which is what you are doing....and I have a huge problem with it. You just cement my opinion of the people that blow this organization no matter what. No honor in you so you don't value it in your team.

I however, was called a BS liar as to very specific facts. Not by you, and my response was not geared towards you.

There is a distinct difference between being a wiseguy and being deceitful. I will smile at anyone that takes a clever shot at me or can debate a situation with some jazz whether I agree with your point or not. I will not stand for being called a liar, considering on a forum like this, your word is really all you have to go on. I agree....sometimes I can be "abrasive" to some, but I try never to go over the line. I know that line is different for some....but calling someone a liar multiple times IS crossing over the line. I would hope any regular poster here knows my word well enough to know I am a man of my word.

The main reason I post here, since I guess I am not well liked or have "established relationships", is to keep scumballs like Larry Quinn exposed. When someone tries to lump me in to that same species of reptile....I take offense.

Geez. Relax already. No one called you a liar. Not multiple times and not once. (Although, for the record, how would anyone know your word well enough to know that you're a man of your word? Have you promised things to the board and then delivered them? I haven't seen anything from you to make me think you're dishonest, but I'm not sure why you get to start slinging mud around and then claim a pattern of honorable behavior. But I digress.). No one is "blowing the organization." Your post implied that the crowd in DC at that ECF was lame. I described that as BS.

To be clear, if you're sure you remember a buy-one-get-one-free promotion for the ECF in DC in 1998 (and we should note that this was a period of pretty substantial internet bubble wealth in that area, and a lot of excitement over a brand new arena in a great location, although for the record DC's Chinatown is pathetic), and that you used that promotion to go to the ECF, I will retract my characterization of that part of your post as BS.

I still completely disagree with any implication that the crowd was lame or not loud in support of the Capitals -- but this is more a matter of opinion where I hope you will agree that we can disagree without anyone calling anyone a liar.

Geez. Relax already. No one called you a liar. Not multiple times and not once. (Although, for the record, how would anyone know your word well enough to know that you're a man of your word? Have you promised things to the board and then delivered them? I haven't seen anything from you to make me think you're dishonest, but I'm not sure why you get to start slinging mud around and then claim a pattern of honorable behavior. But I digress.). No one is "blowing the organization." Your post implied that the crowd in DC at that ECF was lame. I described that as BS.

To be clear, if you're sure you remember a buy-one-get-one-free promotion for the ECF in DC in 1998 (and we should note that this was a period of pretty substantial internet bubble wealth in that area, and a lot of excitement over a brand new arena in a great location, although for the record DC's Chinatown is pathetic), and that you used that promotion to go to the ECF, I will retract my characterization of that part of your post as BS.

I still completely disagree with any implication that the crowd was lame or not loud in support of the Capitals -- but this is more a matter of opinion where I hope you will agree that we can disagree without anyone calling anyone a liar.

Thank you.....

It wasn't a big deal, but I couldn't let the part about NFW they were giving away tickets go by. Not because of you per se, but I found out on the PPP board (not the best crowd I know), that if you don't put a stop to something on here right away...people will overlook important facts when someone tells them something that needs to be taken as word. You have a good history, and we don't always agree....but I needed to pop on that. You can still quit your job and come hang at the track with me and the other degenerates!

Yes....the Caps gave me buy 1 get one free for game 1 and 2 that series. I wasn't going to go because I had just come back from MD the previous weekend and wasn't thrilled about another road trip, but when i saw how easy it was to get cheap tickets....had to go. They were upper levels seats. I am not sure how many seats they gave away, but they did.

Eleven.....I am talking about the Sabres/Caps ECF. Not this year. The only reason I said i went was because of the claim that the city had a love affair for the team since Langway. I don't find a team having to give away Buy 1 get 1 free tickets for a conference championship very supportive on the fans' part, but that may be just me.

I am not questioning any of your facts. I however, was called a BS liar as to very specific facts. Not by you, and my response was not geared towards you.

1. Now I understand a little better what you're saying.

2. Regardless of whether I understood, the last sentence of my post above was a little over the top. My apologies.

Thank you.....

It wasn't a big deal, but I couldn't let the part about NFW they were giving away tickets go by. Not because of you per se, but I found out on the PPP board (not the best crowd I know), that if you don't put a stop to something on here right away...people will overlook important facts when someone tells them something that needs to be taken as word. You have a good history, and we don't always agree....but I needed to pop on that. You can still quit your job and come hang at the track with me and the other degenerates!

Yes....the Caps gave me buy 1 get one free for game 1 and 2 that series. I wasn't going to go because I had just come back from MD the previous weekend and wasn't thrilled about another road trip, but when i saw how easy it was to get cheap tickets....had to go. They were upper levels seats. I am not sure how many seats they gave away, but they did.

I appreciate this and I officially retract the BS call on the tickets.

Thank you.....

Pike's Peak Paralegal's Board? I think they're okay.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived