Season tickets

spndnchz

I'm not trying to fan the flames at all, but I got a good chuckle out of how you mentioned that you're not a good speller/writer, then went on to spell every Sabre name you mentioned incorrectly (minus Miller).

I get a point for Miller! By the time I type something 4 people type something in between. I was most worried I didn't spell speller right.

Last year my parents sat next to two people that had season tickets. What these people would do is sell their tix to the Toronto and Montreal games and make enough money to pay for one of the seats. If the weather was bad or they couldnt make the game (I think they were from Elmira), they would put the seats up on stub hub and try to get any money they could. Based on this limited knowledge, a season ticket holder could probably make half of their money back on one ST.

I don't think a person would buy seasons to try and flip them to make money now. Maybe a few years ago. The demand is not there to be able to jack the price up over face. I think the majority of STHs are regular people that go to watch games and not try and make money.

A few years ago, the Yankees were playing in DC for the first time. I was going to go to the game so I bought some extra seats because I knew there would be a high demand for the tickets. I flipped them for double the face and made some money. You got to have the demand for the tickets ala now the Miami Heat STs would be a GREAT buy because you could flip those easily at a good price.

I don't have the best vocabulary but I think I made my point.

I'm not here to criticize your spelling/grammar on a message board (save asking for clarification if I don't understand, like below), but in your enormously condescending post you called folks naive (Def: having unaffected simplicity of nature; having a lack of experience, judgment, or information), and while doing so misspelled the word. I thought that was a little bit ironic.

I don't need a college degree to know call collusion nonsense a truckload of BS. Or do you agree with him?

I don't know if I agree with him or not because I have no earthly idea what it is you're saying.

I'm not here to criticize your spelling/grammar on a message board (save asking for clarification if I don't understand, like below), but in your enormously condescending post you called folks naive (Def: having unaffected simplicity of nature; having a lack of experience, judgment, or information), and while doing so misspelled the word. I thought that was a little bit ironic.

I don't know if I agree with him or not because I have no earthly idea what it is you're saying.

I didn't call 15000 people "naive." That was Mr. Drane: "It is a naive fanbse that keeps them in business at these levels right now." said Mr. Drane. I tend to think most season ticket holders have a good idea of exactly what they are buying. So if you found condescending, I was responding to his words. Just my clumsy try.

I didn't call 15000 people "naive." That was Mr. Drane: "It is a naive fanbse that keeps them in business at these levels right now." said Mr. Drane. I tend to think most season ticket holders have a good idea of exactly what they are buying. So if you found condescending, I was responding to his words. Just my clumsy try.

It's not 15,000 people that are naive......I am saying that the difficulty in selling the last 10% of the arena going hand in hand with a seemingly rock steady season ticket flow at levels higher than historical averages tells me that there is a fraction of the fanbase bidding up season tickets that don't need to be purchased, and are probably partially being purchased because of spilloff demand from a few years ago that is still thought to be there by non-traditional fans. There are going to be 8,000 season tickets no matter what. Another 4,000 come and go depending on the product, economy, etc. It is those 3-4 thousand seats on top of that which are being gobbled up by people who remember having to pay that $120 for a 300 level ticket against Ottawa 4 years ago that is allowing the management of the team to be comfortable with status quo.

The product is being sold and that's all the Sabres care about. But the market is thin and can fall apart in an instant. That's what the numbers tell me. The team had a very good regular season so it is not shocking the season tickets held, however, if the team collapses on ice....there could be a stampede for the exits. They pulled out an ace with Miller and the Olympics last year. No such wildcard this year.

So if you found condescending, I was responding to his words. Just my clumsy try.

Yes, I was following your back-and-forth with the other poster. But it's tough to tell exactly who it is you're chastising in your posts, particularly because most of them are so angry. Maybe I'm reading them wrong (if so, then I apologize), but if you get that offended that easily, a message board may not be the best place to hang out.

It's not 15,000 people that are naive......I am saying that the difficulty in selling the last 10% of the arena going hand in hand with a seemingly rock steady season ticket flow at levels higher than historical averages tells me that there is a fraction of the fanbase bidding up season tickets that don't need to be purchased, and are probably partially being purchased because of spilloff demand from a few years ago that is still thought to be there by non-traditional fans. There are going to be 8,000 season tickets no matter what. Another 4,000 come and go depending on the product, economy, etc. It is those 3-4 thousand seats on top of that which are being gobbled up by people who remember having to pay that $120 for a 300 level ticket against Ottawa 4 years ago that is allowing the management of the team to be comfortable with status quo.

The product is being sold and that's all the Sabres care about. But the market is thin and can fall apart in an instant. That's what the numbers tell me. The team had a very good regular season so it is not shocking the season tickets held, however, if the team collapses on ice....there could be a stampede for the exits. They pulled out an ace with Miller and the Olympics last year. No such wildcard this year.

It seems to me that the business side of the Sabres have created a climate for some fiscal certinty. That's a good thing and something that is going to be year to year. Second markets are a fact in every market now. For people that like NHL hockey the Buffalo season ticket is a very good deal among the league teams. If you believe ticket sales are so troubling wouldn't a firing sale like Florida make business sense? (that was your comparison earlier). But you have this conspiracy idea that you like.

It seems to me that the business side of the Sabres have created a climate for some fiscal certinty. That's a good thing and something that is going to be year to year. Second markets are a fact in every market now. For people that like NHL hockey the Buffalo season ticket is a very good deal among the league teams. If you believe ticket sales are so troubling wouldn't a firing sale like Florida make business sense? (that was your comparison earlier). But you have this conspiracy idea that you like.

No....these ticket sales are not an example of stability.

What conspiracy? I am saying that the overall market for Sabres tickets is much softer than season tickets represent given the lack of aftermarket pricing and time it takes to sell those extra 2,000 singles for every game. Taking 7 months to sell 10% of the arena does not make for stability

Here goes: I'm renewing mine. I have fun watching the Sabres. Live.

What the f*ck more reason there needs to be, I don't know.

Of course, some of you will tell me there's something wrong with the team, or with me because I renewed, or whatever. But I'll be the one at the rink when the Sabres whip the Flyers 8-2 in a playoff game, and I'll be the one at the rink when they go deep into the playoffs only to get thwarted by injuries, and I'll be the one at the rink when they win the Cup. The critics can enjoy their televisions.

Here goes: I'm renewing mine. I have fun watching the Sabres. Live.

What the f*ck more reason there needs to be, I don't know.

Of course, some of you will tell me there's something wrong with the team, or with me because I renewed, or whatever. But I'll be the one at the rink when the Sabres whip the Flyers 8-2 in a playoff game, and I'll be the one at the rink when they go deep into the playoffs only to get thwarted by injuries, and I'll be the one at the rink when they win the Cup. The critics can enjoy their televisions.

Why, you naive rube. :lol:

If I lived in Buffalo, I would try to get "seasons" (that's a little Buffalo colloquialism I've always been fond of). If they were a Presidents trophy team I would cheer. If they sucked I would complain and demand change.

Why, you naive rube. :lol:

If I lived in Buffalo, I would try to get "seasons" (that's a little Buffalo colloquialism I've always been fond of). If they were a Presidents trophy team I would cheer. If they sucked I would complain and demand change.

1. Not just Buffalo; in DC, the Redskins fans called them that.

2. But would you renew? (And I didn't think they sucked this year. Just in the playoffs.)

1. Not just Buffalo; in DC, the Redskins fans called them that.

2. But would you renew? (And I didn't think they sucked this year. Just in the playoffs.)

I've never heard anyone in the NYC area call them that. Probably because only corporations own them here.

As far as renewing, I can't say for sure but I think I would. Heck, it took me ten years of Bills pain before I finally gave up the NFL Ticket (thus ensuring a playoff season this year).

I've never heard anyone in the NYC area call them that. Probably because only corporations own them here.

As far as renewing, I can't say for sure but I think I would. Heck, it took me ten years of Bills pain before I finally gave up the NFL Ticket (thus ensuring a playoff season this year).

I couldn't do it. NFL Sunday ticket now costs 21 per game to watch the Bills. That price for watching a televised football game is getting ridiculous. At least I can watch them lose in HD this year now that they have bundled the HD price in.

If I could experience the live atmosphere watching the 65 inch flatscreen I'd take the t.v. over the live game any day. Simply because the beer fridge is closer.But there's nothing like being a part of the game as opposed to sitting at home watching the game.

I couldn't do it. NFL Sunday ticket now costs 21 per game to watch the Bills. That price for watching a televised football game is getting ridiculous. At least I can watch them lose in HD this year now that they have bundled the HD price in.

When I lived outside of Buffalo, sports bars were the way to go. More fun than home (because even if it isn't a Bills bar, there are going to be people there from Buffalo rooting on the team), and $21 could get me a few drafts and a sandwich during the game.

Sabres games were trickier, but I found a hole in the wall that put the games on just about anytime I asked; no one really cared about hockey where I was (pre-Ovie DC) and the place had enough televisions to give me one in the corner.

Sabres games were trickier, but I found a hole in the wall that put the games on just about anytime I asked; no one really cared about hockey where I was (pre-Ovie DC) and the place had enough televisions to give me one in the corner.

I agree with what you're saying with respect to DC and trying to find a "hockey bar" there, plus the overall lack of NHL hysteria for the area as a whole (DC is a football town first, second, and third, even with #8 now lurking). But just to be clear, I also lived in "pre-Ovie" DC for many years and the support for the Caps was outstanding (agreed that #8 has taken it up a notch). The hockey base was pretty substantial, though percentage-wise does not compare with Buffalo (DC being a much bigger area), and you didn't have a lot of "hockey mom" type areas (though in Montgomery, Howard, PG, and AA counties there are some very good youth hockey programs), but there were a lot of pockets and the Caps got great support, from Landover to downtown. I agree with your point, but just wanted to clarify that the Caps have had a great following since the Rod Langway 80s, through the Peter Bondra 90s, to today.

I agree with what you're saying with respect to DC and trying to find a "hockey bar" there, plus the overall lack of NHL hysteria for the area as a whole (DC is a football town first, second, and third, even with #8 now lurking). But just to be clear, I also lived in "pre-Ovie" DC for many years and the support for the Caps was outstanding (agreed that #8 has taken it up a notch). The hockey base was pretty substantial, though percentage-wise does not compare with Buffalo (DC being a much bigger area), and you didn't have a lot of "hockey mom" type areas (though in Montgomery, Howard, PG, and AA counties there are some very good youth hockey programs), but there were a lot of pockets and the Caps got great support, from Landover to downtown. I agree with your point, but just wanted to clarify that the Caps have had a great following since the Rod Langway 80s, through the Peter Bondra 90s, to today.

I don't know man....

Why was it that if you bought a ticket for game 1 of the Eastern finals against Buffalo....you also got a ticket to game 2 for free?? I don't know if anyone else here remembers that, but I was there. It was sad when the organ player led the crowd in "Let's Go Buffalo" because the Caps fans weren't loud enough to chant whatever they were supposed to.

Sure things change.....but it didn't seem like the town was doing cartwheels for them.

Depends on the years. If it's the 1980s, I believe you; I wasn't in Landover or even in Washington then. If it's the late 90s, where I could not give away playoff tickets--and as I've posted before on here, this involved me standing at the subway exit at Chinatown* trying, literally, to GIVE AWAY PLAYOFF TICKETS--no, you're wrong, they had no support until the Finals in the 90s. None. No one cared about Bondra. No one cared about Kolzig. Then, Detroit came in for a smackdown, and suddenly, there were banners in Chinatown about the Finals. I think the Post even published a hockey article once that year. (Kidding. Jason LaCanfora always was welcome on page seven of the sports section.)

Later, no one cared about Jagr, even with Kolzig still there.

I mean, don't even think about trying to pass off that city--which I love--as a hockey city. That's silliness. It's my favorite city on the planet; I wish I still lived there, but is it a hockey city? Did they give a damn in between Rod Langway and Ovie? No, and no. Will they care once Ovie leaves (or once 2012 passes without a Cup, whichever is earlier)? ###### no. It's Redskins, DC United, and the Nats (O's?)/Bullets(Wiz?) in some sort of third place there, with the Craps a distant fifth, and anyone with a decade of experience in that town knows it. Seriously, the freaking SOCCER TEAM IS NO 2!

Not a hockey city, I don't care how many kids' parents now can afford time at some rink on top of a parking ramp in Arlington. Still not a hockey city.

*For non-DCers: the Chinatown exit, now renamed "Gallery Place-Chinatown," is about a block from the arena.

No....these ticket sales are not an example of stability.

What conspiracy? I am saying that the overall market for Sabres tickets is much softer than season tickets represent given the lack of aftermarket pricing and time it takes to sell those extra 2,000 singles for every game. Taking 7 months to sell 10% of the arena does not make for stability

If this is true and I'm not saying that it is not, it would seem as if the Sabres are making a dumb move by limiting the season tickets by over 1,000 less than what they allowed last year?

If they knew they could sell 1,000 season tickets that they would have a tough time moving at face value what is the point in lowering the amount of season tickets available?

If this is true and I'm not saying that it is not, it would seem as if the Sabres are making a dumb move by limiting the season tickets by over 1,000 less than what they allowed last year?

If they knew they could sell 1,000 season tickets that they would have a tough time moving at face value what is the point in lowering the amount of season tickets available?

I think what nobody and chz wrote on the first page is probably correct. I don't know that they further limited tickets this year.

I guess you just have to take them at their word that they are "limiting" them.

The single game seats were on the front page of Sabres.com on a ticker. It would be January, and they listed 900 seats available vs Islanders, 1300 seats available vs Leafs, 1100 seats available vs Boston.....right there on the front. You could even "track their progress" over the course of the upcoming week of games. Even with the Sabres playing well......knowing only a thousand or so seats were available....and at different price levels....the fans let the tickets sit for the most part. I guess maybe there were walkups or something.....but to me, putting that Advertisement/System on the front page was a stupid thing to do. It contradicts the "excitement" level, one way or the other.

They don't have to sell them all to make more money off of that block of non-season tickets. If you can sell 100 tickets at $5 a piece, you only have to sell half as many at $10 per to make the same amount of money. If they scaled back season tickets at all, it was a calculated move.

They want to be able to sell some seats to non-season ticket customers, and they may have to reserve a certain amount for the opposing team to sell (I don't know this to be the case, though). I don't know of a pro sports team that doesn't limit season tix in some way. A limit of roughly 75% is actually pretty high, in my book. That makes it hard enough for a non-season-ticket holder to buy directly from the team.

Archived