[OT] RIP George Steinbrenner

FogBat

He always seemed to step up big time and donate a ton of money to charity any time there was a disaster or something else along those lines. That's what should get respect long before whether his team won or lost.

Well said, shrader. He'll always be remembered for his regime with the Yankees, but he contributed to many good causes off the field, as well. A legend that will be missed, love him or hate him.

RIP, Mr. Steinbrenner.

Interesting Kelly article.

http://www.wben.com/...nection/7680231

Kelly nailed my opinion exactly... sports (especially Buffalo sports) IS just a business. If we could only get an ownership group made up of Perreault, LaFontaine and Peca... Those guys would give the Sabres the tools they need to succeed. (Like Super Mario did in Penguinland...)

As usual, Jim Kelley wrote a pretty good article.

One thing he didn't mention was that Steinbrenner also was pushing pretty hard for the Rich bid to be accepted when Colorado and Miami got in. Considering the way the economics of baseball have gone, it's probably for the better that Buffalo didn't get a ball team at that time. I don't think an expansion team could have succeeded in the '90's.

And had Buffalo not torn down Offerman a few years earlier, Steinbrenner's push for Buffalo to get the Expos probably would have actually succeeded. And THAT team would most likely have been successful (at the gate at a minimum). Buffalo was a serious baseball town in the 60's and 70's. Imagine how much moreso it could have been if there had been a team there. And that would have put Buffalo in the rare 4 major club when Buffalo added the Sabres and Braves in '70.

RIP George.

Re, this article it wasn't mentioned here but (I believe right before Steinbrenner bought the Yankees), the Bronx Bombers were seriously considering moving into an Astrodome-type stadium that was going to build in Lancaster; can someone fill me in on this?

Kelly nailed my opinion exactly... sports (especially Buffalo sports) IS just a business. If we could only get an ownership group made up of Perreault, LaFontaine and Peca... Those guys would give the Sabres the tools they need to succeed. (Like Super Mario did in Penguinland...)

Why do people always think that former players would always make the perfect owners or front office guys? If those guys somehow got ownership of the team, it would quickly fold or be sold elsewhere because of insufficient funds.

Why do people always think that former players would always make the perfect owners or front office guys? If those guys somehow got ownership of the team, it would quickly fold or be sold elsewhere because of insufficient funds.

You don't know that for sure. Mario made it work.

You don't know that for sure. Mario made it work.

Mario was flirting with money problems until the team hit back to back gold with Malkin-Crosby. Remember, Mario was completely ready to sell the team to Balsillie before the league got in the way of that.

Actually, I don't. My point was that the Sabres need an owner with a passion to win hockey games. We don't seem to have that now. I was only saying that these former Sabres all had a passion for winning.

I know Mario had money issues prior to Crosby-Malkin (and some of it was related to Pittsburgh not wanting to build a new arena, which they now have). And as for hitting gold with Crosby and Malkin, how come the Sabres never seem to have that kind of luck? We got Gil Perreault with a lucky spin of the wheel in 1970, and since then our luck in drafts has ranged from moderately successful to atrocious. We don't seem to be able to identify and draft the guys who wind up being the superstars in the NHL. (Miller is the current exception to that). Winning comes from the top down - if the Sabres had an owner with a Steinbrenner-like passion to win, the GM and scouting staff would HAVE to perform better or they'd be gone. But, we have what we have and right now, that is depressing me more than I can say.

Actually, I don't. My point was that the Sabres need an owner with a passion to win hockey games. We don't seem to have that now. I was only saying that these former Sabres all had a passion for winning.

I know Mario had money issues prior to Crosby-Malkin (and some of it was related to Pittsburgh not wanting to build a new arena, which they now have). And as for hitting gold with Crosby and Malkin, how come the Sabres never seem to have that kind of luck? We got Gil Perreault with a lucky spin of the wheel in 1970, and since then our luck in drafts has ranged from moderately successful to atrocious. We don't seem to be able to identify and draft the guys who wind up being the superstars in the NHL. (Miller is the current exception to that). Winning comes from the top down - if the Sabres had an owner with a Steinbrenner-like passion to win, the GM and scouting staff would HAVE to perform better or they'd be gone. But, we have what we have and right now, that is depressing me more than I can say.

OSP was obsessed with winning -- the Governor's Mansion in Albany. The Sabres were a small means to that end. Once his political ambitions fell through, and he took his toys to Boca, hockey took a back seat. If I can think of any more clichés, I'll let you know.

Why aren't they lucky enough to have the first pick overall year after year? Not drafting a Crosby or Malkin has absolutely nothing to do with the abilities of the scouting department.

Just a reminder that the Sabres and Pens had the same number of balls in the Crosby lottery. Bad luck, yes. Part of the ensuing problem is that a GM like Ray Shero has three balls and Darce and Phil Kessel keep winning the same bar bet.

Just a reminder that the Sabres and Pens had the same number of balls in the Crosby lottery. Bad luck, yes. Part of the ensuing problem is that a GM like Ray Shero has three balls and Darce and Phil Kessel keep winning the same bar bet.

It doesn't change your little joke at all, but Craig Patrick drafted Crosby, not Shero.

It doesn't change your little joke at all, but Craig Patrick drafted Crosby, not Shero.

I knew you'd like that, a connoisseur of Kessel jokes. I probably knew Shero wasn't the GM then, but maybe not; still, the word "ensuing" covers me, I think.

I knew you'd like that, a connoisseur of Kessel jokes. I probably knew Shero wasn't the GM then, but maybe not; still, the word "ensuing" covers me, I think.

Have I ever shared my theory here that Phil's little brother Blake who plays for UNH was actually born from what was removed from Phil during that surgery?

Archived