Sabres elect to take Kaleta to arbitration

outlaw16511

I would bet that Kaleta is asking for a longer term deal and the Sabres are concerned about his concussion history and how long he may actually last. I'm not sure the kid has more than two to three years left in him at his current rate, so who knows.

I would bet that Kaleta is asking for a longer term deal and the Sabres are concerned about his concussion history and how long he may actually last. I'm not sure the kid has more than two to three years left in him at his current rate, so who knows.

I doubt that he wanted a long term contract. The only real reason to take a guy to arbitration is to prevent a hold out or an offer sheet. I doubt if he has the leverage or the desire to hold out so it would seem for some reason they worried about him getting an offer.

I doubt that he wanted a long term contract. The only real reason to take a guy to arbitration is to prevent a hold out or an offer sheet. I doubt if he has the leverage or the desire to hold out so it would seem for some reason they worried about him getting an offer.

I'm not familiar with all the specific rules regarding RFAs but this sounds reasonable.

I have no idea what to think of this one. If you look at the very few RFAs who have signed offer sheets, Kaleta doesn't belong anywhere near that list. So since it doesn't make much sense, I'll just assume that Darcy did it just to say that he has. You should try everything at least once.

I have no idea what to think of this one. If you look at the very few RFAs who have signed offer sheets, Kaleta doesn't belong anywhere near that list. So since it doesn't make much sense, I'll just assume that Darcy did it just to say that he has. You should try everything at least once.

The optimistic side is telling me they are preparing to offer some team's restricted free agent a deal and wanted to take away any retailitory possibilities, but that would be "too rose colored glasses" even for me.

per CBA:

If a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent has not accepted his Club's Qualifying Offer, nor filed a request for Player-elected salary

arbitration in accordance with Section 12.2 above, the Club may elect to file for salary arbitration to determine that Player's

Paragraph 1 Salary for that League Year.

Kaleta either wants more money or more time, that's a given.

per CBA, the Club can not walk away from the award in Club elected arbitration.

per CBA:

If a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent has not accepted his Club's Qualifying Offer, nor filed a request for Player-elected salary

arbitration in accordance with Section 12.2 above, the Club may elect to file for salary arbitration to determine that Player's

Paragraph 1 Salary for that League Year.

Kaleta either wants more money or more time, that's a given.

per CBA, the Club can not walk away from the award in Club elected arbitration.

And if I remember correctly, they're only allowed to use it on a player once in his career, right?

And if I remember correctly, they're only allowed to use it on a player once in his career, right?

Not sure if it's per Club or per player. Like if Kaleta goes to the Rangers the Rangers can arby him? I don't know. I'd assume it's per player, one and dun.

Not sure if it's per Club or per player. Like if Kaleta goes to the Rangers the Rangers can arby him? I don't know. I'd assume it's per player, one and dun.

I want to say it's per player, but I can't get the CBA to open on this computer for some reason.

I want to say it's per player, but I can't get the CBA to open on this computer for some reason.

A Player will be subject to only one Club-elected salary arbitration in his

career. Notwithstanding Section (a) or (b) above, a Player as to whom a Club has elected

salary arbitration, regardless of whether a hearing took place in connection with that

election, is no longer eligible for Club-elected salary arbitration. If a Club subsequently

elects to take such a Player to salary arbitration, that election will be null and void.

Club meaniing any club or the Club taking him to arbys is my conundrum.

A Player will be subject to only one Club-elected salary arbitration in his

career. Notwithstanding Section (a) or (b) above, a Player as to whom a Club has elected

salary arbitration, regardless of whether a hearing took place in connection with that

election, is no longer eligible for Club-elected salary arbitration. If a Club subsequently

elects to take such a Player to salary arbitration, that election will be null and void.

Club meaniing any club or the Club taking him to arbys is my conundrum.

Legal speak is a pain in the ######, but I think the bolded line says it all.

Perhaps you two can get a room. Shatner can help you get a good rate.

Kaleta should want some years on a contract...the way he plays he could be out of hockey in a week or 2. DR needs to reward his hard work and effort. At least 3 years at about $850,000 a year would work. You don't find players that go nose first into every shift. My 8 year old son loves the way he plays and I am happy to see him "hustle like Kaleta" as he says.

Kaleta should want some years on a contract...the way he plays he could be out of hockey in a week or 2. DR needs to reward his hard work and effort. At least 3 years at about $850,000 a year would work. You don't find players that go nose first into every shift. My 8 year old son loves the way he plays and I am happy to see him "hustle like Kaleta" as he says.

Does your kid flop and turtle like him too? :lol:

Does your kid flop and turtle like him too? :lol:

Enough to draw stupid penalties...when he loses the cage I am sure he will lose the gloves if he has to. And he'll be a heck of a lot bigger then Kaleta...is there a stat on how many #@$@head penalties you can draw by being smarter then the other guy? If they are not fun to play against when they are 8...I doubt they'll like him when he 18:)

Enough to draw stupid penalties...when he loses the cage I am sure he will lose the gloves if he has to. And he'll be a heck of a lot bigger then Kaleta...is there a stat on how many #@$@head penalties you can draw by being smarter then the other guy? If they are not fun to play against when they are 8...I doubt they'll like him when he 18:)

They actually call penalties in your 8 year old's league? I didn't think that actually happens.

The supposed long-term request by Kaleta is an interesting question. I think if Kaleta is still an RFA after 2 more seasons (which I don't know), the Sabres would be fine with a 2-year contract -- and I think (but again don't know) that they can request a 2-year contract from the arbitrator. I don't think the Sabres would want to give him more than 2 years at this point.

Here's my theory: they want Kaleta for this year, but they don't want to drag out negotiations with him (in a utopian situation, because they want to know exactly how much cash they have to sign Zherdev and Kovalchuk). His injury history and scoring #s don't support a high arbitration award. I think they can still negotiate with him for a while even though they asked for arbitration. It's also possible-to-likely that Kaleta's agent made some noise about Kaleta being worth more than his numbers would indicate. So, the Sabres are using this tactic to ensure a quick and efficient conclusion to his contract status.

The optimistic side is telling me they are preparing to offer some team's restricted free agent a deal and wanted to take away any retailitory possibilities, but that would be "too rose colored glasses" even for me.

I think DR thinks going after another team's RFAs is against the code of ethical GM conduct.

Bill's got the answer:

The Sabres, however, felt they had take to the 24-year-old Kaleta, a supreme agitator and physical presence, to arbitration. Why? Using it ensures the winger will play in Buffalo next season. Perhaps the Sabres believed another club would swoop in with an offer sheet.

“The objective is to have a deal done, and hopefully it’s a multi-year deal,” general manager Darcy Regier said Wednesday afternoon inside Dwyer Arena, where the Sabres are holding their annual summer development camp. “But the objective is to get a deal done in advance of (the arbitration date). By offering arbitration it allows us to ensure … that’s he’s playing and Buffalo and … that we have a deal in place within an appropriate timeframe.”

Regier said he’s unsure why teams rarely go to club-elected arbitration, which can only be used once in a player’s career.

“To the extent that you see (arbitration), you’ll usually see it because the player did elect it,” Regier said.

http://www.msg.com/b...tes-7-7-1.45980

I hear: Sabres want multi year deal and don't want to match some other teams extreme offer for Kaleta.

Does anyone really think Kaleta would get an extreme offer?

That's exactly why the whole thing makes no sense to me. He's a dime a dozen player. Yes, he brings a value to the team, but you can find that type of player much more easily than you can find a top end guy.

Does anyone really think Kaleta would get an extreme offer?

Sean Avery 2009–10 New York Rangers NHL 69 11 20 31 160 — — — — — 4 million per year.

Patrick Kaleta 2009–10 Buffalo Sabres NHL 55 10 5 15 89 6 1 1 2 22 ?- per year.

I could see him getting 2 million a year maybe Darcy wants to keep him in line for a smaller raise. If another team throws an offer for him DR loses a decent asset for a pick if its between the (994,434 - $1,506,717 - 2010 3rd round pick) amount. This appears as DR trying to save 500k-750K. by limiting someone chance to offer 1506716 at PK.

Archived