Lee Stempniak

Tyrannustyrannus

Would love to see him in blue/gold, but he made $3.5 mil last year -- not sure what the asking price would be and you know Darcy doesn't like long-term deals. It would make a lot of sense -- hometown guy, produced every season at a decent level. The issue I have is I never really notice him in games. I'd be all for bringing him home and sending TC for a draft pick and calling it a day.

Would love to see him in blue/gold, but he made $3.5 mil last year -- not sure what the asking price would be and you know Darcy doesn't like long-term deals. It would make a lot of sense -- hometown guy, produced every season at a decent level. The issue I have is I never really notice him in games. I'd be all for bringing him home and sending TC for a draft pick and calling it a day.

He's actually only had 2 years worthy of anything more then a thrid liner and this year was going nowhere until he got traded to Phoenix and went off.

still unsigned. I would have been a lot happier if the Sabres traded for him instead of Torres. He had a pile of goals after leaving Toronto. He's been traded around a lot, which I've always wondered about.

He's been traded twice. I wouldn't call that being traded around a lot. Anyway, something about him worries me. He had a big year a few years back in St. Louis right as his entry level deal ended. That got him a pretty good second contract, but then he disappeared for a couple years. Then he suddenly had another big year right as the 2nd contract was expiring. It's tough to call that a trend, but it doesn't look right.

Something about him worries me. He had a big year a few years back in St. Louis right as his entry level deal ended. That got him a pretty good second contract, but then he disappeared for a couple years. Then he suddenly had another big year right as the 2nd contract was expiring. It's tough to call that a trend, but it doesn't look right.

Coincidence?

I want Big Z, he has some size. and besides the sabres need another russian on there team because there aint no more. Lee I like, I also think he would do good here as well. But on Wikipedia it said that Big Z was going to Philly for at leat 2010-11 with a big not offical yet at the end.

well zherdev may have more potential but id rather have stempniak because, he is from buffalo, word, he has a higher career high in goals, as far as i know hes not a chump like zherdev, and stempniak probly wont go to russia.

And as far as I know,Zherdev never has and never wanted to learn English.

Would you rather have Zherdev or Stempniak? I'd lean towards Zherdev...more potential.

You have to consider the contracts though. Zherdev will probably cost at least $3.75MM x 3 years; I bet someone ends up with Stempy at $1.5MM or so, and probably for 1 year.

I want Big Z, he has some size. and besides the sabres need another russian on there team because there aint no more. Lee I like, I also think he would do good here as well. But on Wikipedia it said that Big Z was going to Philly for at leat 2010-11 with a big not offical yet at the end.

Even if this turns out to be true. Garnering info from wiki is a questionable practice at best. :thumbdown:

You have to consider the contracts though. Zherdev will probably cost at least $3.75MM x 3 years; I bet someone ends up with Stempy at $1.5MM or so, and probably for 1 year.

Give me the guy who's trying to prove himself over the guy who's reputed to be a floater and wants a long-term deal. Stempy for $1.5? Bargain. Do it. Still leaves $6.5M/yr from not signing Kovy, so sign more players.

I'd rather see kassian on the roster.

Me too. Stempniak surpassed all his expectations and i doubt he will continue to ride the hot land for long. He's a 2nd line player on a bad team or a 3rd line player on a good team, who will throw his body around, score a few dirty goals and kill penalties. He's not an upgrade over Grier or Hecht though. He's got more offense then Grier but Grier is a better defensive forward. If Sabres did sign him, it'd be to play with Vanek and Roy or Connolly and Ennis and i don't think many people would be very impressed after a few games. If Grier got injured mid-season, i wouldn't mind Sabres trading a pick to get him though.

Speaking of players of his "class", one guy i want to get back for the depth role is Matt Ellis.

still unsigned. I would have been a lot happier if the Sabres traded for him instead of Torres. He had a pile of goals after leaving Toronto. He's been traded around a lot, which I've always wondered about.

less money to Stempy, but I'd take him in a heartbeat. Guessing, he'd be in the top six. :unsure:

Archived