(OT) Happy 4th!

shrader

There's a lot of tension around here lately, so I figured I'd throw something out there that we all agree on. I hope everyone's having a great day. My first nephew was born today, so it's definitely a good one over here.

Congrats UNCLE.

Just sitting pool side, driving my wife crazy that I am playing on the lap top exactly a year after my daughter dropped my last one in the pool while trying to show her friend something on you tube.

And to remember all the Founding Fathers and veterans and who served our country and died so that we would be a free nation (so long as we struggle to remain free in spite of the current powers that be). Yeah, the fireworks are fine and dandy, but we often forget

well over 200 years ago. What they did matters more than fireworks. They had their own to contend with, and they weren't recreational either.

Sitting in Iraq wishing the sabres could make me happy and no fireworks its not the fourth without fireworks

oh and by the way congratulations on your nephew

And to remember all the Founding Fathers and veterans and who served our country and died so that we would be a free nation (so long as we struggle to remain free in spite of the current powers that be). Yeah, the fireworks are fine and dandy, but we often forget

well over 200 years ago. What they did matters more than fireworks. They had their own to contend with, and they weren't recreational either.

cvanvol, I want to thank you for serving.

What you are doing gives Crosschecking the freedom to post the things he does.

:thumbsup:

On a side note, I never needed the fear of God to do the right thing. It just always seemed easier.

cvanvol, I want to thank you for serving.

What you are doing gives Crosschecking the freedom to post the things he does.

:thumbsup:

On a side note, I never needed the fear of God to do the right thing. It just always seemed easier.

It also allows me to post. I guess you have to take the good with the bad :thumbsup:

There's a lot of tension around here lately, so I figured I'd throw something out there that we all agree on. I hope everyone's having a great day. My first nephew was born today, so it's definitely a good one over here.

Shrader, very cool news on the nephew. I hope he's healthy, hearty, and hale. (What the ###### is "hale," anyway?)

And of course, to those of us who are Americans, Happy Independence Day!

(Presumably, LimeySabre, sorry.)

(To the so, so many fans from a little north, belated happy Canada Day. (Wasn't "Dominion Day a cooler name, though?))

Shrader, very cool news on the nephew. I hope he's healthy, hearty, and hale. (What the ###### is "hale," anyway?)

And of course, to those of us who are Americans, Happy Independence Day!

(Presumably, LimeySabre, sorry.)

(To the so, so many fans from a little north, belated happy Canada Day. (Wasn't "Dominion Day a cooler name, though?))

IIRC, there are a few Brits who still have sour grapes over losing the War for Independence (aka the Revolutionary War). King George III shouldn't have been such a tyrant.

IIRC, there are a few Brits who still have sour grapes over losing the War for Independence (aka the Revolutionary War). King George III shouldn't have been such a tyrant.

Same dude saved a lot of French from what was called "Madame Guillotine"; he's not the tyrant we were taught he was. Still, great that we're American and not British.

Same dude saved a lot of French from what was called "Madame Guillotine"; he's not the tyrant we were taught he was. Still, great that we're American and not British.

He sure did make things unbearable on this side of the pond, and the Tories over here didn't help matters any.

Go blow it out your VanSusteren.

Shouldn't there be a holiday that surpasses the Fourth? We only declared our independence on that date. On what date did the Revolutionary War actually end?

How about celebrating the Boston Tea Party. The first terrorist act on this continent should be remembered. :thumbsup:

How about celebrating the Boston Tea Party. The first "terrorist act" on this continent should be remembered. :thumbsup:

To the limeys, it was "terrorism". To us, it was only a start toward the march for Independence.

My, how much we've come full circle... :thumbdown:

Shouldn't there be a holiday that surpasses the Fourth? We only declared our independence on that date. On what date did the Revolutionary War actually end?

Treaty of Paris dated Sept. 3, 1783; not sure when it was ratified by either country.

To the limeys, it was "terrorism". To us, it was only a start toward the march for Independence.

My, how much we've come full circle... :thumbdown:

I'm pretty sure that he was celebrating that rather innocent act of terrorism, and not condemning it. Either way, it certainly wasn't the first terrorist act on this continent. Even leaving aside the atrocities committed against Indians, how did we forget the Boston Massacre? That predated the Tea Party by several years.

Treaty of Paris dated Sept. 3, 1783; not sure when it was ratified by either country.

I'm pretty sure that he was celebrating that rather innocent act of terrorism, and not condemning it. Either way, it certainly wasn't the first terrorist act on this continent. Even leaving aside the atrocities committed against Indians, how did we forget the Boston Massacre? That predated the Tea Party by several years.

Admittedly, that did slip my mind. Having said that, I did say "astart", not "the start". So, the Tea Party was a catalyst for the War for Independence.

Archived