A message sent to Status Quo!

deluca67

It's day TWO of Free Agency...how are you feeling?

I'm actually feeling pretty good...waiting to see what the Sabres' next move is. 768 Votes ( 23% )

Same as always. Tired of being a Buffalo sports fan on a day like today. 2526 Votes ( 77% )

I think this says a lot.

I think this says a lot.

Well since d4 provided the link about Poles in hockey this was my fave. As long as we're getting rid of Poles in hockey, Maybe we should get rid of Czechs, too. Czeching is dangerous. You can really get hurt when you get Czeched into the boards, especially if it's Czeching from behind.

FYI: It's spelled "poll" as in a phone poll, not a phone pole.

PTR

Yeah I know, after a long day and some beers "pole" works just fine and shouldn't distract from the point that fans are fed up. The minimalist attitude of this front office has out worn it's welcome. If many think that fans were tough on the Sabres last season watch as another lack luster off-season goes by. B-)

Yeah I know, after a long day and some beers "pole" works just fine and shouldn't distract from the point that fans are fed up. The minimalist attitude of this front office has out worn it's welcome.

little blue pill? ;)

Doubt they care, and frankly why should they, as long as people pay them money for doing exactly what they're doing?

I learned a long time ago if you are going to be held accountable for the end result, you do it the way you want it done and not the way everyone else wants it done. Otherwise on the day they fire you, you always would be wondering what if...

I learned a long time ago if you are going to be held accountable for the end result, you do it the way you want it done and not the way everyone else wants it done. Otherwise on the day they fire you, you always would be wondering what if...

That's great. But what is Darcy's assignment? What is the end result they are looking for? Once in a while, Darcy tips his hand. He said the other day the problem with signing an expensive (relatively) veteran defenseman to too long a term is that it could threaten to keep the cheap prospects out of the lineup. Sound like a GM who's trying to win a Cup? That said it all.

Darcy is a upper management corporate hack who spends his days shuffling OSP's beans around. When his day is done, my God, what a horrible thing to think about the rest of your life, that this is how you spent a career in the NHL.

I think this says a lot.

I really dont understand all the frenzy of we have to sign those guy and that..ohh I heard of him sign him.

How has that worked out for the Rangers the last few years? Oh thats right it hasnt.

How did it work out for the flyers? oh thats right it didnt...it took them getting better with prospects and youth

who are some of the best teams in the league? pens and caps..most of their roster built through the draft

I would venture to guess even with the 2 non playoff years we had the sabres have one of the best records in the east since the lockout..top 5

I really dont understand all the frenzy of we have to sign those guy and that..ohh I heard of him sign him.

How has that worked out for the Rangers the last few years? Oh thats right it hasnt.

How did it work out for the flyers? oh thats right it didnt...it took them getting better with prospects and youth

who are some of the best teams in the league? pens and caps..most of their roster built through the draft

I would venture to guess even with the 2 non playoff years we had the sabres have one of the best records in the east since the lockout..top 5

Good morning Darcy. How was your 4th?

I would just like to add that everyone always brings up the Rangers. Didn't they win a Cup with one of those signings?

Good morning Darcy. How was your 4th?

I would just like to add that everyone always brings up the Rangers. Didn't they win a Cup with one of those signings?

I think they did.

Contrary to the Regierian edict most successful teams achieve a balance of home grown talent and acquisitions from the outside. Pittsburgh and the Red Wings are prime examples. I am pretty sure Brian Rafalski wasn't a Detroit draft pick. Gonchar, Guerin and Gary Roberts are not home grown Pens. Even the Hawks brought in talent from the outside to supplement their roster.

I think they did.

Contrary to the Regierian edict most successful teams achieve a balance of home grown talent and acquisitions from the outside. Pittsburgh and the Red Wings are prime examples. I am pretty sure Brian Rafalski wasn't a Detroit draft pick. Gonchar, Guerin and Gary Roberts are not home grown Pens. Even the Hawks brought in talent from the outside to supplement their roster.

yes they won a cup 16 years ago. no even a sniff since. You cant gauge sucess by a cup alone its too hard to do that in the NHL...it is the hardest sport to win the championship period....82 games followed by 16 wins needed in the playoffs..doesnt matter where you finished the reg season still need the 16 wins.

Buffalo 230 wins and 504 points 0 Cupslast 5 years

NYR 209 wins and 473 points 0 Cups

Flyers 196 wins 438 points 0 cups

those are 2 of the biggest spenders in free agency?

I am not directing this at you that understand yes we need to fill holes with quality FA that make sense...this is at those of you that are always flipping out OMG why didt we sign this guy and that...

yes they won a cup 16 years ago. no even a sniff since. You cant gauge sucess by a cup alone its too hard to do that in the NHL...it is the hardest sport to win the championship period....82 games followed by 16 wins needed in the playoffs..doesnt matter where you finished the reg season still need the 16 wins.

Buffalo 230 wins and 504 points 0 Cupslast 5 years

NYR 209 wins and 473 points 0 Cups

Flyers 196 wins 438 points 0 cups

those are 2 of the biggest spenders in free agency?

I am not directing this at you that understand yes we need to fill holes with quality FA that make sense...this is at those of you that are always flipping out OMG why didt we sign this guy and that...

The Stanley Cup is the only measure of success. Just like the Vince Lombardi Trophy is in the NFL.

You mean players that can actually help the team move forward instead of Leopold and McCormick? Teams in the East are getting better while the Sabres stand still. In professional sports if you are standing still you are getting passed.

Actually it worked pretty good for the Flyers. Pretty good cup run led by two high priced vets in Pronger and our old friend Briere. If they had a goalie, they'd have probably won it all. The team that won it all had years of ineptitude to build their draft on but the final pieces also came from free agency. Hossa's hated by many, but when you can put a guy like that on your second line you're looking pretty good. Cap problems come with winning but they did win.

You build with the draft, absolutely true, but your window of opportunity is small and if you don't supplement the "kids" with good free agent vets you never get over the hurdle and are a mid level success at best - like the Sabres. Once the good younger players mature you have to pay them and then you fall apart unless you are willing to spend.

You can't win the cup with 2 or 3 second or third lines and no dominant number one line (that is also your PP line). Why do you think we suck on the PP every single year? No true number one line. A line that logs extra minutes in the post season. Vanek was awesome as a third liner when Briere and Drury were here. He's a good number 2 like Hossa, but in no way does he ever lead a team to the cup as a number one.

So all the Sabres have to do is tank for about a decade to accumulate a bunch of top 5 picks every year in the draft, AND hope that the year they get the #1 spot they have one of the best players in the game ready for the taking

THERES NO RIGHT OR WRONG WAY TO BUILD A TEAM. You build a team with a mixture of everything, FA's and good drafting. The key is drafting well and knowing when to make moves to improve the team. So far Darcy's approach is to just draft well and hold on to your prospects hoping they all peak at the same time

So all the Sabres have to do is tank for about a decade to accumulate a bunch of top 5 picks every year in the draft, AND hope that the year they get the #1 spot they have one of the best players in the game ready for the taking

THERES NO RIGHT OR WRONG WAY TO BUILD A TEAM. You build a team with a mixture of everything, FA's and good drafting. The key is drafting well and knowing when to make moves to improve the team. So far Darcy's approach is to just draft well and hold on to your prospects hoping they all peak at the same time

Yes! Plus 1...

Actually, I'd say the Rangers plan of buying up high-paid vets just past their prime is a pretty poor way to build a team.

Archived