UFAs and RFAs that could help Buffalo

North Buffalo

Eastern Conference

F Colby Armstrong, F Steve Begin, F Mark Recchi, G Manny Legace, D Paul Martin,

F Tim Jackman, F Vaclav Prospal, F Arron Asham, D Dan Hamhuis and more

And there are many others and after posting these two links on another thread, I thought they deserved their own post:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=25552

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=25558

Also, why are there so many talented unsigned guys... why haven't they been locked up... any insight?

Eastern Conference

And there are many others and after posting these two links on another thread, I thought they deserved their own post:

Also, why are there so many talented unsigned guys... why haven't they been locked up... any insight?

Almost all the guys are third and fourth line or fifth and sixth defenseman talent. The league has gone to a system where the top guys get the money, some youth is sprinkled in and then they fill the roster with "just another guy."

Eastern Conference

Colby Armstrong is a interesting player. His name comes up from time to time as a player people would like to see in a Sabres uniform. He's 27 and has only hit 20 goals once and is not really that physical of a player. If your looking just to change to some names on the back of the Sabres jerseys he might be worth the look. I'm not sure if he is a significant upgrade from what we already have.

Did I just see Asham on a list of "talented hockey players"? Every time I see that guy play I'm astounded by just how crappy a hockey player he is. I don't mean to single him out on your list, but man, I can't stand the guy and his awful hockey abilities.

Did I just see Asham on a list of "talented hockey players"? Every time I see that guy play I'm astounded by just how crappy a hockey player he is. I don't mean to single him out on your list, but man, I can't stand the guy and his awful hockey abilities.

The Asham's of this league are becoming more valuable. He is cheap fourth line role player.

Yet he is an instigator and stirs the pot. A younger Rob Ray and the Sabres could use someone like that, maybe with a little more talent. And when he decides to play can actually put the puck in the net.

If nothing else, he would keep the guys on the bench on their toes. Him, Kaleta and Ellis on the same line might be fun...

Almost all the guys are third and fourth line or fifth and sixth defenseman talent. The league has gone to a system where the top guys get the money, some youth is sprinkled in and then they fill the roster with "just another guy."

I basically agree with TW here and would just add that for the real blue-chippers that become available (and there are a few each summer, like Hamhuis, Martin and Kovy), it's only human nature to want to take a shot at what is likely a once-in-a-lifetime payday.

He had a pretty good playoffs for Philly. He's certainly not a top-6 forward, but he has a ton of speed and is probably a bit better than Mair.

If nothing else, he would keep the guys on the bench on their toes. Him, Kaleta and Ellis on the same line might be fun...

No offense, but I can't think of anyone I'd like to watch less than matt ellis. Not fun to watch, somtimes even painful.

He had a pretty good playoffs for Philly. He's certainly not a top-6 forward, but he has a ton of speed and is probably a bit better than Mair.

Any time the puck finds his stick, it generally turns pure ugly. He's one of those guys that every time I see him in a game, I ask myself how is this guy in the NHL.

Eastern Conference

Hamhuis is a Flyer and will sign there. I don't know what about Tanguay as a second line winger? we need a #1 Center the rest is nice but just fluff.

Any time the puck finds his stick, it generally turns pure ugly. He's one of those guys that every time I see him in a game, I ask myself how is this guy in the NHL.

Most agree no Asham...here are a few to think about...thoughts?

Volchekov from the Sens...he seems to play well against the Sabres...would be the shot blocker in place of Lydman.

Jay Mckee...does he have enough left in the tank to pair with Sekera...let Andre play some O while he stays home?

Paul Martin or Willie Mitchell...I know...to much $$$

Last but not least...take a run at RFA Hjalmarsson from the Hawks...we all know they are hurting for cash...how high could they go? Offer enough to keep him to a 2nd round pick...he is worth all that.

Most agree no Asham...here are a few to think about...thoughts?

Volchekov from the Sens...he seems to play well against the Sabres...would be the shot blocker in place of Lydman.

Jay Mckee...does he have enough left in the tank to pair with Sekera...let Andre play some O while he stays home?

Paul Martin or Willie Mitchell...I know...to much $$$

Last but not least...take a run at RFA Hjalmarsson from the Hawks...we all know they are hurting for cash...how high could they go? Offer enough to keep him to a 2nd round pick...he is worth all that.

I predicted that Hjalmarsson would become a Sabre...of course I also predicted Byfuglien would too. So much for that. Chicago is still not out of the woods cap-wise but I think they can see the clearing from where they're at now. But I don't expect them to let go of Hjalmarsson. I think Versteeg is the only "name player" that might be had at this point.

Then he punches on of the Sabres in the face, while they are cowering their way back to the bench, you suddenly remember why he's in the NHL.

No offense, but I can't think of anyone I'd like to watch less than matt ellis. Not fun to watch, somtimes even painful.

I quite disagree. I love to watch Ellis out there. To me this guy is a role model for the effort Vanek, Connolly, and a few others need to put out. He doesn't have the greatest skills but when he's out there you can see he gives 100% all of the time.

He's not quite "Spinner Spencer" (remember him?) but I like watching guys putting out a full effort every shift.

He's not quite "Spinner Spencer" (remember him?) but I like watching guys putting out a full effort every shift.

While I appreciate his effort, his skating and lack of anything interesting to his game makes me not want to watch him

Then he punches on of the Sabres in the face, while they are cowering their way back to the bench, you suddenly remember why he's in the NHL.

Not to mention that in his series against Boston, he got a goal and an assist. That's more than we can say about a couple of guys we know.

I quite disagree. I love to watch Ellis out there. To me this guy is a role model for the effort Vanek, Connolly, and a few others need to put out. He doesn't have the greatest skills but when he's out there you can see he gives 100% all of the time.

Effort without skill does not make a successful player.

Ellis may be more suited to a conditioning coach in skating practice but he has no place in shooting, hitting or hand/eye coordination practice.

Solid effort? Ya. Solid skills? No.

All I'm going to say about Matt Ellis:

09-10 playoffs:

Ellis 1 goal in 3 games.

Connolly, Roy & Gaustad 0 goals in 6 games. Stafford 0 goals in 3 games.

OK - maybe I'm actually saying something about the other 4 rather then Ellis. :)

:worthy:

Can we replace the banner with that quote? Too many around here lately are looking to add nothing but brute force to this team, completely ignoring the fact that the player actually has to know how to skate. And yes, I realize we also need an alternate version of the quote about how you need effort too.

Archived