Ryan Miller

SabresneedaCup

Goalies are often like baseball pitchers. First few times a team sees them the hitters are guessing.....once they have seen them a few times they know their tendencies.

Tom Barrasso stuggled in his second year.

Mason never regained his stuff.

Cam Warm just sucked his second year.

The great goalies adjust....right now I would say if I'm in Philly I would be worried about my goaltending. Too many teams have seen those guys now.

Yes that is true.

But that is what pitchers and goalies alike do to make them great.

Change there stuff, approach, etc...Miller needs to not overcommit like he has been doing. (just like you said)

Philly will be a bust unless Bob or Boosh make a change and get better.

I heard Nabakov could somehow be available ;)

You dont need a world class goalie to win you a Cup.

You need the team and everyone to have confidence that the goalie will perform.

If a goalie can get you 16 postseason wins (in one postseason; ie a Stanley Cup), then that goalie is praised.

I mean look at Niemi, he had 3 NHL starts going into last season w/ the Hawks, making 39 that season alone and he looked crazy good for them!

Its not all about a goalie; but having one that performs well....that's just a great bonus.

I think Miller is a great goalie, no doubt, if he is on, best of luck getting a win for whomever the opponent is.

If he isnt on his game...well Buffalo, better work that much harder for a win.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/What-We-Learned-The-Flyers-are-crumbling-before;_ylt=A0wNddD7OnZNpq8AJgR7vLYF?urn=nhl-330687

it takes awhile to read down to it but they suggest that the longer you rely on mediocre goaltending the worse off your going to be. You don't need a star goalie to win a cup ie. 16 games, but If you have a star goalie you might just do better. And I almost forget to mention it. Cam Ward now a star goalie, Niemi started ruff but now is a star goalie, Osgood was a good goalie he just got old, Fluery is a good goalie... all of these goalie were either stars before or after winning the cup so you could have a goalie on the rise win for you (coughenrothcough) but if I am looking to make a cup run I will take Millsy for the next couple of years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/What-We-Learned-The-Flyers-are-crumbling-before;_ylt=A0wNddD7OnZNpq8AJgR7vLYF?urn=nhl-330687

it takes awhile to read down to it but they suggest that the longer you rely on mediocre goaltending the worse off your going to be. You don't need a star goalie to win a cup ie. 16 games, but If you have a star goalie you might just do better. And I almost forget to mention it. Cam Ward now a star goalie, Niemi started ruff but now is a star goalie, Osgood was a good goalie he just got old, Fluery is a good goalie... all of these goalie were either stars before or after winning the cup so you could have a goalie on the rise win for you (coughenrothcough) but if I am looking to make a cup run I will take Millsy for the next couple of years.

I agree on Enroth, but when you have someone like Miller has your starter, Enroth will be a quality backup.

All the goalies you named were, like you said, good before or after.

Usually when the team wins a Cup and the goalie is the diamond in the rough, they either continue to excel or just completely fall off the face of the Earth, there really is no in between.

One example of someone falling off (IMO) JS Giguere, he never really had it after winning the Conn Smythe and then def. hasn't had it since winning the Cup in '07.

I would like to see Ryan Miller with the following:

1. A legitimate backup goalie. Miller is the kind of goalie who needs to be rested periodically. He is intense in his desire to win and the pressure he puts on himself, so he needs relief. He's not an iron man like Brodeur, and shouldn't need to be.

2. A better supporting cast up front. Teams that "prove" you can Win a cup without a star goaltender don't have Buffalo's weak forwards.

3. He has taken the Sabres to the Conference finals (with a decimated defense and much better forwards than we have now) and single-handedly brought Team USA to within an OT of the gold medal. Not sure what else he has to do to be considered a top goalie.

With this all said, we have not seen him at an all-world level of play for extended periods. I just wonder if the three suggestions above would make the difference?

LETS TRADE MILLER, LETS TRADE MILLER, LETS TRADE MILLER... really? Why? Cuz he is grumpy when he loses? I wish connolly was grumpy after he lost then maybe he wouldn't stink as much. Ppl who wanna trade miller have no clue what it would be like to have a garbage GT like that one team there whats there name.... o yea the ISLANDERS! I like knowing any given night millsy could steal a win even if he is off this year. When his contract is up fine bring up enroth as starter but until then shut up about trading a guy who is the face of a team and of American Hockey... haven't you noticed the commercial for deodorant? See Miller doesn't stink!

i think the importance of the goalie on todays league is less than before. if miller played in the hasek era, 1991-04(?), i think this wouldnt even be a discussing. he would be a back up. with millers pattern of letting in the easy goal, there is no way he would be able to play 40-60 games for a team and keep them in contention. The playoffs during that time in hockey would have destroyed miller. his propensity to beat around the bush about complaining about his supporting cast indirectly would have gotten him hammered in a goaltender centered league.

LETS TRADE MILLER, LETS TRADE MILLER, LETS TRADE MILLER... really? Why? Cuz he is grumpy when he loses? I wish connolly was grumpy after he lost then maybe he wouldn't stink as much. Ppl who wanna trade miller have no clue what it would be like to have a garbage GT like that one team there whats there name.... o yea the ISLANDERS! I like knowing any given night millsy could steal a win even if he is off this year. When his contract is up fine bring up enroth as starter but until then shut up about trading a guy who is the face of a team and of American Hockey... haven't you noticed the commercial for deodorant? See Miller doesn't stink!

Who's to say Enroth won't be better than Miller?

Why do some think Miller is the be all end all? Everybody can be replaced with someone better, unless you have a Lemieux, Hasek, Gretzky, Orr, etc. and Miller isn't no where near that class of players.

i resurrected this thread because puck daddy has turned its attention back to the question of the extent to which you need an elite goalie to make a run at the cup and the study case of the philadelphia flyers (and their recent suckitude).

Time to close this thread back up.

Who's to say Enroth won't be better than Miller?

Why do some think Miller is the be all end all? Everybody can be replaced with someone better, unless you have a Lemieux, Hasek, Gretzky, Orr, etc. and Miller isn't no where near that class of players.

I say that Miller will be better than Enroth for the next couple of years so maybe in his final year you give enroth alot more starts but until then miller is your guy. For the record never said miller is god or the end all or hasek, just said hes good and people have been hard on him. Like tonight, you don't win games often scoring a goal and no goalie not even Enroth is going to stop deflected shots. Guess cuz millsy lost tonight hes terrible right?

But losing a lot of shutouts late does show how he performs under pressure. Those pucks leak in. So did three in Game 7 in Carolina in the third period. So did Crosby's shootout goal. So did Alfie's pretty harmless shot in an elimination game. So did some big goals against Boston. So did Crosby's shot in the Olympics.

The guy is leaky under pressure. Like my bladder.

No excuses here, but when it comes time for the Sabres to grab for the brass ring, they've always come up short. They never seize the opportunity and mostly don't even come close. The organization, for whatever reasons over the years, has been competitive but ultimately performed collectively like chokers when it comes time to put up or shut up. And maybe it starts with the owner and the way the team is built. And hopefully Pegula changes that culture, like Kraft did with the Patriots.

No excuses here, but when it comes time for the Sabres to grab for the brass ring, they've always come up short. They never seize the opportunity and mostly don't even come close. The organization, for whatever reasons over the years, has been competitive but ultimately performed collectively like chokers when it comes time to put up or shut up. And maybe it starts with the owner and the way the team is built. And hopefully Pegula changes that culture, like Kraft did with the Patriots.

Does anyone remember if the Sabres traded for anyone at the trade deadline in March 2006? That team was probably the best the Sabres ever had in my lifetime but I can't remember them making any "go for it" type trades at the deadline or even anything for depth.

Does anyone remember if the Sabres traded for anyone at the trade deadline in March 2006? That team was probably the best the Sabres ever had in my lifetime but I can't remember them making any "go for it" type trades at the deadline or even anything for depth.

Traded away Noronen for a 2nd round pick, that eventually got us Enroth.

DR made a good trade then.

...the 06 deadline may be Darcy's biggest blunder ever. He added 0 depth at defense or forward. We lost to carolina why? we had 4 regular defensmen out of the lineup... I would classify that trade deadline as horrendous.

Archived