Ryan Miller

SabresneedaCup

you can cherry pick your examples from the thousands and thousands of stops he's made over the past 5 years if you want. the crappy line up regier puts in front of him every year means he has to carry the team on his back, and that is not debatable. the guy is an elite goaltender and there is no reason to consider moving him.

typical buffalo fans...always looking to run our best players out of town because they're not perfect. briere must be thanking god every day.

this thread is an embarrassment.

Good post.

i never said biron out played miller in 06 07

He didn't outplay him in "05-"06 either, even with that 14 game streak.

With similar GP and the same team in front of them;

Biron S% - .905, GAA - 2.88

Miller S% - .914, GAA - 2.60

you can cherry pick your examples from the thousands and thousands of stops he's made over the past 5 years if you want. the crappy line up regier puts in front of him every year means he has to carry the team on his back, and that is not debatable. the guy is an elite goaltender and there is no reason to consider moving him.

typical buffalo fans...always looking to run our best players out of town because they're not perfect. briere must be thanking god every day.

Ryan carried the Sabres two seasons post-lockout?

Those are the best examples you can choose. I don't care about a save on Columbus' Rick Nash on the night before Thanksgiving. I care about those huge moments where a goalie earns his reputation.

Did you watch the Olympics? Miller is the best Sabres play hands down. He actually cares about winning both for the team and the fans (can't say that for most other players). Miller is probably the most mature, respectable player on the Sabres and I think should and would be captain if there wasn't difficulties in making that happen. This topic mystifies me.

Exactly. My brother is this kind of fan. Miller can be playing fantastic and as soon as he lets in a goal of any type all the sudden "he sucks". If it wasn't for Miller, the Sabres past 3 seasons easily would've contained 15 less wins than they did.

i cant stand ryan miller and never really liked him mostly because of his personality. he seems very egotistical and i dont like how he insults our players. can you imagine if anyone of the players insulted him? hed probly cry. i dont think the players like him and its for good reason.

anyway about him on the ice hes definately overrated. hes good but all you have to do is wire a wrist shot high and its a goal. and whats with all the garbage goals he lets in? how many times have the sabres been 2 to 0 or 3 to 0 but with 5 minutes left miller lets in the most pathetic goal ever. thats why he never gets shutouts.

in 05 06 how was he any better than biron? i remember miller getting a hand injury and biron stepped in and won 14 games in a row! 14! and if you look at birons stats before the lockout they were pretty good even though the rest of the was not very good. i never understood how miller was any better than biron, he may be now but not a few years ago.

to somes things up miller is a d bag who is overrated and i dont like him.

You are a gigantic Idiot. Biron didn't win 14 games in a row. Biron NEVER took this team to the playoffs. Miller stole games last season. Name a specific time when he insulted his teammates. Tell me specifically how he's an egomaniac. He's probably the only player on the team that the rest of the players respect. Without Miller, this pathetic team would have been bottom feeders again. And I've meet Miller and He's a nice guy. I guess the right to free speech = the right to be a dumbass in this case.

I've been fighting this battle all season. Put Miller on the Oilers and they are in the playoffs and the Sabres are in the draft lottery.

You are a gigantic Idiot. Biron didn't win 14 games in a row. Biron NEVER took this team to the playoffs. Miller stole games last season. Name a specific time when he insulted his teammates. Tell me specifically how he's an egomaniac. He's probably the only player on the team that the rest of the players respect. Without Miller, this pathetic team would have been bottom feeders again. And I've meet Miller and He's a nice guy. I guess the right to free speech = the right to be a dumbass in this case.

Take it easy. We don't communicate like this here.

Exactly. My brother is this kind of fan. Miller can be playing fantastic and as soon as he lets in a goal of any type all the sudden "he sucks". If it wasn't for Miller, the Sabres past 3 seasons easily would've contained 15 less wins than they did.

What does the expression "if it wasn't for (insert name of goalie)" really mean?

Who was going to be in goal, a Fathead of Rush Limbaugh?

there was another thread we had going where i admitted that i had revisited the notional thought that you need an elite goalie in order to win the cup. i.e., i had come to the conclusion that it doesn't (necessarily) pay to tie a bunch of scratch up in a "franchise" goalie because you're just as (if not more) apt to make a deep run with a goalie who is -- or, better yet, goalies who are -- serviceable and capable of getting hot.

then there was the added bonus that the team would likely be more entertaining to watch if it were built around star skaters, not a star net minder.

then i saw philly in the finals, unable to overcome its mercurial goaltending platoon.

that prompted me to revisit all of this again.

while philly's struggles were a cautionary tale, i still think it's as good (if not a better) bet to place less of a premium on goaltending than the sabres (and many other teams) currently do.

none of which is to say that the sabres should unload/move a guy who's unquestionably a terrific goalie. but, i feel like i've seen this movie before back in the late '90s.

not only was that movie sort of boring to watch for long stretches of time, i know how it ends.

Yes we do, we just use high falutin' words like "obtuse."

nice.

Yes we do, we just use high falutin' words like "obtuse."

We may disagree on this, but I think referring to a post (or in your case, a never-ending, repetitive series of posts blaming Lindy for the team's decline while ignoring the changes in its roster) as "obtuse" is not nearly as critical or insulting as saying "you're an idiot."

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Separately, and more related to the thread topic: I think the Sabres are going to bring in Marty Biron this summer to be Miller's backup. I don't think he's going to get more money or a #1 job anywhere else, and he keeps a home in Buffalo. Meanwhile, the Sabres need a good backup goalie. It makes sense. I also think having Marty on board would help Miller (and therefore the team) more than a little -- similar to Grier's impact this year.

We may disagree on this, but I think referring to a post (or in your case, a never-ending, repetitive series of posts blaming Lindy for the team's decline while ignoring the changes in its roster) as "obtuse" is not nearly as critical or insulting as saying "you're an idiot."

i mostly took that as PA making a funny. still there's always some truth in jest. fwiw, the python crew drew out a similar metaphysical distinction regarding what constitutes an "argument":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

I think the Sabres are going to bring in Marty Biron this summer to be Miller's backup. I don't think he's going to get more money or a #1 job anywhere else, and he keeps a home in Buffalo. Meanwhile, the Sabres need a good backup goalie. It makes sense. I also think having Marty on board would help Miller (and therefore the team) more than a little -- similar to Grier's impact this year.

agreed on the logic and the hope.

there was another thread we had going where i admitted that i had revisited the notional thought that you need an elite goalie in order to win the cup. i.e., i had come to the conclusion that it doesn't (necessarily) pay to tie a bunch of scratch up in a "franchise" goalie because you're just as (if not more) apt to make a deep run with a goalie who is -- or, better yet, goalies who are -- serviceable and capable of getting hot.

then there was the added bonus that the team would likely be more entertaining to watch if it were built around star skaters, not a star net minder.

then i saw philly in the finals, unable to overcome its mercurial goaltending platoon.

that prompted me to revisit all of this again.

while philly's struggles were a cautionary tale, i still think it's as good (if not a better) bet to place less of a premium on goaltending than the sabres (and many other teams) currently do.

none of which is to say that the sabres should unload/move a guy who's unquestionably a terrific goalie. but, i feel like i've seen this movie before back in the late '90s.

not only was that movie sort of boring to watch for long stretches of time, i know how it ends.

I'm not sure what to make of this idea that Philly proved you could go far without an elite goalie. They played one team with a potent offense in the playoff and that team beat them. I'm not sure if this shows anything more than you can go far with a mediocre goalie if you have a fortunate draw in the playoffs.

He didn't outplay him in "05-"06 either, even with that 14 game streak.

With similar GP and the same team in front of them;

Biron S% - .905, GAA - 2.88

Miller S% - .914, GAA - 2.60

miller has always let in the garbage variety goals, i dont recall biron doin that.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Separately, and more related to the thread topic: I think the Sabres are going to bring in Marty Biron this summer to be Miller's backup. I don't think he's going to get more money or a #1 job anywhere else, and he keeps a home in Buffalo. Meanwhile, the Sabres need a good backup goalie. It makes sense. I also think having Marty on board would help Miller (and therefore the team) more than a little -- similar to Grier's impact this year.

You have a guy who's very fragile mentally and you want to bring back the guy he had to beat out for the starting job, and who's looking to regain a starting job in the NHL?

How does Marty help, exactly? You know Ruff's history of abusing his backups.

nice, do you get like this everytime someone disagrees with you? wahhhhh. biron DID win 14 games in a row he didnt go to the playoffs because our team was not good until after the lockout. miller has never stolen a game in his life if he did we would have won that playoff series. he isults his team on a regular basis saying things like our whole team is weak minded. isnt this the same dude who cried a few years ago because we didnt win a game? and stop pretending that miller is this whole team our team is consistenly in the upper half of the league in terms of scoring.

miller has always let in the garbage variety goals, i dont recall biron doin that.

I don't think you are trying, then. Biron was always good for a WTF goal at the end of a game. In fact, when Biron went deep in the playoffs with Philly, in the first two rounds, those goals never happened and I remember being shocked by that. In the Conference finals, though, they returned.

I think I would still take him as a back up. Seeing Miller's relationship with Lalime this year, it seems like when he has a personality like that as a backup, he's a better goalie

I don't think you are trying, then. Biron was always good for a WTF goal at the end of a game. In fact, when Biron went deep in the playoffs with Philly, in the first two rounds, those goals never happened and I remember being shocked by that. In the Conference finals, though, they returned.

I think I would still take him as a back up. Seeing Miller's relationship with Lalime this year, it seems like when he has a personality like that as a backup, he's a better goalie

im talkin about when he played with buffalo.

nice, do you get like this everytime someone disagrees with you? wahhhhh. biron DID win 14 games in a row he didnt go to the playoffs because our team was not good until after the lockout. miller has never stolen a game in his life if he did we would have won that playoff series. he isults his team on a regular basis saying things like our whole team is weak minded. isnt this the same dude who cried a few years ago because we didnt win a game? and stop pretending that miller is this whole team our team is consistenly in the upper half of the league in terms of scoring.

Biron did not play those 14 games in a row. He had nights off and such. This team is top half in goals because they know how to score against teams like Toronto, Tampa, Florida, etc. And as for stealing that playoff series, Boston beat the Sabres 4 times out of 6 in the regular season, just like they did in Round 1. The only Sabres goalie to beat Boston this season was Miller. If you think Miller is the problem on this team, why didn't Lalime post similar numbers when he played? Miller looks like the only one on the team that is bothered by losing.

Can you find Miller insulting the team in Print? I want to see it. I've never seen or heard him be anything but a class act. Did you get a prank phone call from someone pretending to be Ryan Miller? Miller steals games on a regular basis, and Biron isn't even good enough to back-up the ISLANDERS! I know Miller isn't the whole team, but tell me who is going to show up and play every night at his level. Roy? Connolly? Gaustad? This is like listening to Anne Coulter spew nonsense. You had nothing whatsoever to back up what you said.

You have a guy who's very fragile mentally and you want to bring back the guy he had to beat out for the starting job, and who's looking to regain a starting job in the NHL?

How does Marty help, exactly? You know Ruff's history of abusing his backups.

The bolded statement is nonsense.

Marty helps, in theory, by being able to play a bit more than Lalime and thus giving Miller more rest. Miller got 68 out of 82 starts this past year. Lalime got 14 starts and just 4 wins.

I don't see Miller ever getting below 62 or so if he's healthy, but I think having Marty would allow (i) Miller to drop down to about 62 starts and (ii) the team to get more wins/points in the games that Marty starts than those that Lalime started.

Very few posters here think Miller is the whole team. I think most just think Miller is clearly the better goalie, and this has been proven by (i) Miller beating out Biron for the job in Buffalo and (ii) Miller developing into an elite goalie here while Biron has failed to secure a #1 job elsewhere. Don't forget that Marty had had many, many opportunities to earn the #1 job in Buffalo and wasn't able to do so.

As for saying the team is weak minded -- do you disagree? And do you not think a team leader (which Miller is) should call out his teammates when needed?

I too was surprised when Marty got Philly into the conf. finals (but happy for him too as he seems like a really good guy). Still, Philly decided that he wasn't worth keeping around.

Archived