Fire Sale in Florida

OTTOnME

The Buffalo Sabres are either going to enter a bidding war or just let Boston have Nathan Horton.

Here ya go. Just another player Darcy will let slip away.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/06/bruins-closing-in-on-panthers-winger-nathan-horton.html

So let me see if I have this right? The Bruins, who finished #1 in the East two seasons ago with 116 points ans still traded away their top goal scorer now find themselves in a position not only picking #2 overall but may also land Nathan Horton and move into the top 5-7 picks of this years draft? As a Sabres fan and after watching the Bruins bounce the Sabres in six games this makes it look like the Sabres don't even have a GM. If Rask is the real deal the Bruins are already better than the Sabres and have positioned themselves to even expand the distance between the two teams.

I know I'm beyond a broken record here, but IMO, no trade involving Derek Roy or Tim Connolly makes any sense for the Sabres AND the other team involved like the trade that would send them BOTH to Dallas for Brad Richards.

How to you suppose the Sabres address the many needs and fill the many holes? This team doesn't get much better just trading Stafford.

Who said anything about trading Stafford???

Stafford or any "asset." The name doesn't matter. Right now Roy and Connolly are the players that can possibly bring the most in return. If the Sabres take them off the table they have nothing left to deal with. Contracts would prevent Vanek and Pominville from moving. The Sabres don't have the stones to trade Miller or Myers. After those names their is a huge drop off in trade value.

I can't help but comment on another part of that article. If anyone is dumb enough to pick up Thomas, they deserve the kind of reaction we're seeing around here towards Regier.

That was my first thought. With the goalies available, why would you take Thomas or Huet for that matter unless Boston threw in a can't miss prospect, say something like #15 overall and Thomas for a 7th rounder? Obviously an exaggeration, but.

That was my first thought. With the goalies available, why would you take Thomas or Huet for that matter unless Boston threw in a can't miss prospect, say something like #15 overall and Thomas for a 7th rounder? Obviously an exaggeration, but.

Going back to the article. Would you take Semin if only for year? I ask because you say the Sabres are really close. Pick up Semin and make a run this year?

I can't help but comment on another part of that article. If anyone is dumb enough to pick up Thomas, they deserve the kind of reaction we're seeing around here towards Regier.

Is Thomas really that bad? I always thought that the only problem with his game was that he loses his game as soon as anyone bumps him or runs him. It seems like if a coach could fix that and calm him down, he would be a $5 mil goalie again.

Is Thomas really that bad? I always thought that the only problem with his game was that he losses his game as soon as anyone bumps him or runs him. It seems like if a coach could fix that and calm him down, he would be a $5 mil goalie again.

He would fit well in Philly. My 1st concern of the offseason is what the Sabres do or don't do. My second is Philly finding a solid goalie. My 3rd is what a great position the Bruins find themselves in. If they land two top five picks and Horton, WTF?

He would fit well in Philly. My 1st concern of the offseason is what the Sabres do or don't do. My second is Philly finding a solid goalie. My 3rd is what a great position the Bruins find themselves in. If they land two top five picks and Horton, WTF?

Thanks for this,..not. I was having a pretty decent day.

Those are pretty much my thoughts exactly. They should have to dump a draft pick in order for someone to take him.

Swamp, yes, Thomas is bad. Positionally he's very flawed. It's funny watching the highlight video of him they show at Bruins games. It's nothing but those diving across the crease saves, completely ignoring the fact that he's only in a spot to make that save because he's so horribly out of position. Now some people are going to say he won the Vezina so he has to be good. Well Jim Carey won one too. Anyway, the contract is the worst part of all. He's 36 and still has 3 years left on the deal. With Rask in the system, I don't understand how Chiarella was so stupid to hand that deal out.

Stafford or any "asset." The name doesn't matter. Right now Roy and Connolly are the players that can possibly bring the most in return. If the Sabres take them off the table they have nothing left to deal with. Contracts would prevent Vanek and Pominville from moving. The Sabres don't have the stones to trade Miller or Myers. After those names their is a huge drop off in trade value.

The only trade I want to see is a Roy+Connolly to Dallas for Brad Richards trade. Anything else won't please me.

Its become clear that Regier does'nt even fit into the same class as a Chiarelli from Boston. What this team needs more than anything is a capable G.M. I'm terrified that this teams future is in Regiers hands. He's apparently drafted well but he can't make a trade of any value to this team to save his a$$. He's always got some lame excuse about the salary cap world or not trading away assets but you've got to give to get and while the rest of the N.H.L. goes on around us we constantly tread water in Buffalo.

So let me see if I have this right? The Bruins, who finished #1 in the East two seasons ago with 116 points ans still traded away their top goal scorer now find themselves in a position not only picking #2 overall but may also land Nathan Horton and move into the top 5-7 picks of this years draft? As a Sabres fan and after watching the Bruins bounce the Sabres in six games this makes it look like the Sabres don't even have a GM. If Rask is the real deal the Bruins are already better than the Sabres and have positioned themselves to even expand the distance between the two teams.

I believe the deal with Boston was that they make the move to Columbus to get the top 10 pick from them, and then turn around and send it to Florida for Horton in a deal.

Is Thomas really that bad? I always thought that the only problem with his game was that he loses his game as soon as anyone bumps him or runs him. It seems like if a coach could fix that and calm him down, he would be a $5 mil goalie again.

Personally, I wouldn't trade anything decent for a 36 year old goalie with about 5 years of NHL experience making $5 mil a year. Good luck Boston unloading that deal, especially in an offseason where you could esily find a goalie just as decent on the FA market.

I too would prefer Booth to Horton. I don't watch the Panthers much (does anyone?), but my understanding is that Booth is the blood-and-guts guy with skill while Horton has talent and size but not as much intensity. For that reason I sorta expect Horton to be more available than Booth.

OTOH, Horton might be a Briere-type pickup -- ie someone who can really benefit from a change of scenery. And Florida will likely be making changes this summer. Either of these are realistic possibilities for the Sabres and I would be pretty psyched for either of them.

Living down here, I have seen him play. Booth is a very good player that would be great for the Sabres (provided he is healthy).

HORTON TO BOSTON Per McKenzie and now Dregger via Twitter

Darcy never would do this trade.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=325375

Florida sends forwards Nathan Horton and Gregory Campbell to the Boston Bruins for defenceman Dennis Wideman, the 15th overall pick in this year's NHL Entry Draft and a third round pick in 2011.

Archived